2023 Hotas Review By Mysh

8 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 07:53 PM

Well, after a long time i finally decided to get myself a HOTAS + Pedals setup for gaming so i can enjoy my space games more and maybe even have some use for it in MW5 i looked for recent reviews and it turns out this guy did a late 2023 look at them giving good hints in several price categories.

The Definitive 2023 HOTAS Buyer's Guide! (youtube.com)

B4 i invest heavy i will take a testapproach and got with the Thrustmaster 16000 Flight Pack - i can upgrade the Joystick to a better one later if i like it and if not i can sell the whole shebang for little loss.

Make up your own mind!

Edited by Thorqemada, 12 February 2024 - 07:15 PM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 10:09 PM

theres always a better model that is just out of your price range.

#3 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:15 PM

So true! :D

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 04:58 AM

was looking at the gimbals on this, almost $400 and doesnt even include the grips (options from $100-300).

i love a well machined gimbal.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 February 2024 - 04:59 AM.

#5 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 06:48 AM

Uhuh, i am not that hardcore pro! Posted Image

Still, i am in heaven!

Elite makes so much more fun with this HOTAS Setup and i have had no trouble to set it up - the difference in fun is practically exponentialy increased!

X4 makes me a lot of trouble though as it does not run with the Thrustmaster Drivers it seems and man i have a lot of work to do with the config.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the quality of the T16000 Hardware is i bought for only ~185 Euros.
The Joystick feels realy good, only the buttons in the base of the stick do not click well, they feel cheap.
The Throttle slides completly smooth and has not the mechanical stutter (at least yet) some people percive.
The Pedals are quite big and the spring forces of all components have the strenght i like.

Pretty happy overal!

Edited by Thorqemada, 14 February 2024 - 06:48 AM.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:28 AM

i tried to do elite with hotas and vr but i still have not been able to play it with any consistency. i liked og elite and its more modern clones (like oolite and mostly harmless), but i have the same problem with dangerous i had with elite2/ffe. progression is too slow, and they annoy you with bs (like having to pay fines when you accidentally jettison cargo while trying to deploy your undercarriage). being able to see your keyboard while in vr would be kind of cool. if that tech exists, i cant afford it.

i have wanted a warthog for so long its not funny, the modding options for thrust master sticks is top notch. im probibly just going to mod my ch gear to use those 14-bit contactless encoders i have in my electronics drawer. they aren't even that expensive i dropped a $20 and ended up with 8 of them. but use em in a product and add 200 bucks to the price.why throw money at the problem when i got engineering chops.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 February 2024 - 05:35 AM.

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:05 PM

Lol, yeah, these funny anecdotes that appear while gaming, making you fuming in the very moment but laughing later. Posted Image

The only thing that comes to mind would be voice controled actions i guess.
At some point in history that was the next big trend but seems it never materialized.

I have seen a cool X4 Video where the guy had a programm that recognized voice orders and took then the appropriate action - i think it was called "Voice Attack".

My Hardware back then was from CH - the time when they still worked via Game Port or MIDI connector.
I initially thought that CH Products was from Sitzerland bcs CH is the lettercode for it.
But turned out they were american and after some point pretty much disappeared from the EU market.
After some initial problems they had made very reliable pieces of gear.
Now their page links one shop in germany and that shop page is status 404.

Time stops for nobody...

Well, wish you best success with your project!

Edited by Thorqemada, 15 February 2024 - 07:06 PM.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:53 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 15 February 2024 - 07:05 PM, said:

Lol, yeah, these funny anecdotes that appear while gaming, making you fuming in the very moment but laughing later. Posted Image

The only thing that comes to mind would be voice controled actions i guess.
At some point in history that was the next big trend but seems it never materialized.

I have seen a cool X4 Video where the guy had a programm that recognized voice orders and took then the appropriate action - i think it was called "Voice Attack".

My Hardware back then was from CH - the time when they still worked via Game Port or MIDI connector.
I initially thought that CH Products was from Sitzerland bcs CH is the lettercode for it.
But turned out they were american and after some point pretty much disappeared from the EU market.
After some initial problems they had made very reliable pieces of gear.
Now their page links one shop in germany and that shop page is status 404.

Time stops for nobody...

Well, wish you best success with your project!

they got bought up by a components company. they still technically exist, you can still get their really expensive industrial offerings, it seems they still manufacture the controllers. i know my ch software recently stopped working, i think they stopped maintaining their driver certificates with microsoft. i switched to joystick gremlin+vjoy. it works pretty well, and the cool thing is i can use non ch controllers in my mappings. might as well take it a step further and upgrade the adcs to something that doesn't suck.

#9 _INFIDEL_

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:03 PM

Anyone able to help me setup a HOTAS system

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users