11 replies to this topic

#1 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 19 February 2024 - 11:09 AM

Came back after a couple years and have been playing on an alt account.

Most of my time has been on the HBK-4G, my favorite 'Mech from back in the day -- Cauldron quirks really work well. Feels appropriately effective with decent play, defensively and offensively.

Bought a Shadow Hawk, then a Wolverine. -- stats show I dropped historically in each 250 times (Griffin likely similar). Time has not been kind to these chassis. They're easy, vulnerable targets -- confirmed after I faced them and effortlessly popped torsos (even a guy who was intelligently firing and shielding).

I'd switch out ancient, pre-2017 random structure for noticeable RT/CT/LT armor. It's a feel thing, and in this stage of the game it seems most humanoid 'Mechs even remotely gingerbread-man-y need to be above a certain threshold of survivability.

Do or don't -- there are enough sufficiently quicker 'Mechs for me to play around -- but there does seem to be a reason these aren't common today.

#2 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 19 February 2024 - 11:14 AM

Power creep is a thing...

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 11:26 AM

Yep those could use some quirkiness...

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 19 February 2024 - 11:38 AM

The Shadow Hawk is decently quirked. The Griffin is kind of a death trap with its size and geometry.

#5 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 08:27 PM

Griffin's got okay shoulder mounts and is ofc jump and even ECM capable on some variants, all of which help out a lot. Shadow Hawks have some really nice mounts for PPC poking or brawling, too.

#6 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:41 PM

Ideally, what we want is every single mech to have exactly the same stats, so everything is balanced and equal.

The idea that anything could be different for any reason is absolutely abhorent, and should be opatched into sameness as soon as possible Ideally an overnight hotfix.

#7 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:30 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 19 February 2024 - 09:41 PM, said:

Ideally, what we want is every single mech to have exactly the same stats, so everything is balanced and equal.

The idea that anything could be different for any reason is absolutely abhorent, and should be opatched into sameness as soon as possible Ideally an overnight hotfix.

The Griffin is unreasonably fragile. Badness =! uniqueness.

#8 Ilostmycactus

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 02:49 PM

It also doesn't make sense why the Griffin is basically Atlas sized at around half the tonnage. And the arm mounts are really bad.

#9 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 03:05 PM

The biggest thing I dislike about the Shadow Hawk is the LT weapon mount, you literally can't use most autocannons without going blind from the muzzle flash everytime you fire them. Especially RACs.
And they say Hunchback pilots are the ones that needed sunglasses.
Nevermind, apparently the RAC changes from the recent update made SHD pilots not go blind from them.
Still going blind from LB10 and other ACs though.
RAC cockpit view:
Spoiler

UAC10 cockpit view:
Spoiler

Neither the Roughneck or Hunchbacks have it this bad.

That aside, pretty sure the Shadow Hawk is statwise the close 2nd (1st being Centurion, and some of the SHDs have -critreceive% quirk which debatably makes it more tankier even) most armored medium in the game, and it even has JJs!

Edited by Ttly, 20 February 2024 - 06:40 PM.

#10 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 10:55 PM

View PostTtly, on 20 February 2024 - 03:05 PM, said:

That aside, pretty sure the Shadow Hawk is statwise the close 2nd (1st being Centurion, and some of the SHDs have -critreceive% quirk which debatably makes it more tankier even) most armored medium in the game, and it even has JJs!

You would be mistaken. All Shadowhawks and also the Griffins sport almost no armour quirks. Bushwackers and and Kintaros have considerably more armour through quirks.

#11 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 11:02 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 20 February 2024 - 10:55 PM, said:

You would be mistaken. All Shadowhawks and also the Griffins sport almost no armour quirks. Bushwackers and and Kintaros have considerably more armour through quirks.

Oh ok my bad, I must've confused the word "armored" with durability in my head when I wrote that, since the structure quirks do add up to being just as if not slightly more total HP with skills. But meh, it's structure right, they're susceptible to crits so guess they don't really make up that big of a deal for its tankiness even if they get bigger numbers from skills.

Edited by Ttly, 20 February 2024 - 11:16 PM.

#12 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 01:18 AM

View PostIlostmycactus, on 20 February 2024 - 02:49 PM, said:

It also doesn't make sense why the Griffin is basically Atlas sized at around half the tonnage. And the arm mounts are really bad.

Yes.

Also I can roll damage like crazy in the SHD and repeatedly ended matches missing arms and structure everywhere except head, like 30 percent or less condition (MAD is great at this too), but the GRF just gets BODIED.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users