Can We Stop With The Constant Crashing?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Fooney

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:36 PM

Pretty hard to play when the game crashes every other game. It used to work fine. If a game is still making money why can't they work on it?

#2 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:52 PM

steam install? have you checked your file integrity? Sometimes its worth completely uninstalling and doing a clean re-install to clean out the gunk.

Edited by pbiggz, 24 February 2024 - 06:52 PM.

#3 Fooney

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 09:47 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 24 February 2024 - 06:52 PM, said:

steam install? have you checked your file integrity? Sometimes its worth completely uninstalling and doing a clean re-install to clean out the gunk.

Ok checked files was fine, reinstalled anyway, same thing The problem might be more to blame on Windows because this game just destroys everything multi monitor going on at the time you launch it. My icons, my windows all get jumbled and it also causes another problem of windows going off screen with no way to get them back.
Alt tabbing out of this game to do something else for the forever it takes to actually start a game is playing roulette with hangs and crashes. Having too many browser windows open defiantly causes crashes even if you do nothing else.

Either way, kinda unplayable at the moment for me. The code of this game is too outdated for modern Windows apparently. I don't follow the dev of this game at all but judging by the current loading times and FPS of this game on a newer PC I'd wager this is just how it is and will be for quite awhile.

I don't get why the higher ups don't take a note from WarThunder and keep a game cutting edge if people are interested. This game looks and feels like crap, is crap and yet is still more fun that WarThunder. You want me to buy $15 dollar mech? Use $5 of it on the game.

#4 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:48 AM

Are you playing in full screen windowed? You sound like you're not. Change to full screen windowed.

The alt tab crashing non-windowed is a very old problem.

#5 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 01:04 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 25 February 2024 - 11:48 AM, said:

Are you playing in full screen windowed? You sound like you're not. Change to full screen windowed.

If you really want to play in full screen, beware of always pressing alt+enter to switch to windowed mode before you alt+tab. That way you won't crash.

#6 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 10:10 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 25 February 2024 - 11:48 AM, said:

This

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 03:47 PM

frankly full screen mode should be removed from the game. i figure it causes a good 90% of crashes (not including network issues, but that's not technically a crash). unfortunately they cant do that and for the same reason they cant fix the bug. even though the exception handler would take all but 2 minutes to write.

the problem is all about gpu power states. hence the exception it throws. its not a new video card feature, but it is newer than the engine. and the engine doesnt know what to do when it comes back and the video card is in a low power state, you give it a bunch of crap to render and it goes "nope!". if the exception is caught, then sent the commands to put the gpu in the correct state. windowed mode maintains the gpu state and so there is no crash.

its not a windows problem, its an old code on new hardware problem. unlike audio, i totally blame windows for anything audio related. it loves changing your default devices without asking you your usage preferences. like when your bluetooth earpiece is on the charger, putting the default communications device on something you never use, and then failing to restore it when you reconnect it. lately its been auto-muting it when i connect and i have to keep telling it to unmute, then it forgets this and does it again. and i dont think any os handles multi monitor correctly. it keeps making my projector the primary, i only turn it on when i watch a movie, and then it tries to keep using it even though there is another monitor plugged in thats actually on.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 February 2024 - 04:48 PM.

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 12:19 AM

I suggested this at cauldron discord but there are still some fullscreen/crash fan boys. At least there should be an pop up.
Warning this is an potato engine. Activating full screen will result in instant crash when U alt tab and whenever we feel it should crash. Full windowed is the way.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 01 March 2024 - 12:19 AM.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:11 AM

Just adding that even in full windowed mode, alt tabbing while the game is transitioning between the mechlab and a match can still be problematic. I have a bad habit of doing that and although it rarely crashes, it does "thrash" over what application has Windows' focus until the match loads all the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users