30 replies to this topic

#21 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 08:29 AM

View Post1453 R, on 28 February 2024 - 07:32 AM, said:

So...Scaleshot is OHH PEE because it moves really fast and has scads of SRMs.

Did...did I miss something or have Arctic Wolves somehow not existed for years? Sure Arctic Wolves don't/can't jump, but they can also carry way heavier payloads. And if you feel like being cheeky, you can get the dumb thing going significantly faster than many light 'Mechs move while still having an actually really good dogfighting armament (massed SRM-2s are not 'efficient' in hardpoint-to-damage terms, but the cycle rate advantage is very real if you have enough hardpoints). I fail to see how Scaleshot does anything an Arctic Wolf or JIIC can't other than jump. Sure, Viper jumps are excellent, but the comp guys have detested jump capacity for years. Why's that changed?

this ACW can jump and has ECM and a similar alpha. speed is way lower but it still slaps
https://mwo.nav-alph...65e64_ACW-PRIME

#22 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, that one's probably the way to go for most folks. Heh, my ACW-1 is ludicrously overengined and painfully undercooled, and it has dogshit alpha damage for how many missile hardpoints it's got. But man. It's just fun zooming around at 25-tonner speeds in a 40-tonner, and being able to fire an SRM barrage every second not only rattles some people, but helps compensate some for my average-at-best aim. The OmniMech version's better for supporting the pack, for sure, and carries more total damage to boot.

But man. Still feels weird for people to be complaining about a freaking Viper being OHH PEE. Like...it's a Viper. Nobody in the history of MWO has ever held those things to be anything but too-jumpy over-engined memes with insufficient armament. Still better than an Ice Hamster, but that's really not a high bar to clear.

#23 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:58 PM

View Post1453 R, on 28 February 2024 - 11:37 AM, said:

Yeah, that one's probably the way to go for most folks. Heh, my ACW-1 is ludicrously overengined and painfully undercooled, and it has dogshit alpha damage for how many missile hardpoints it's got. But man. It's just fun zooming around at 25-tonner speeds in a 40-tonner, and being able to fire an SRM barrage every second not only rattles some people, but helps compensate some for my average-at-best aim. The OmniMech version's better for supporting the pack, for sure, and carries more total damage to boot.

But man. Still feels weird for people to be complaining about a freaking Viper being OHH PEE. Like...it's a Viper. Nobody in the history of MWO has ever held those things to be anything but too-jumpy over-engined memes with insufficient armament. Still better than an Ice Hamster, but that's really not a high bar to clear.

Well weird **** happens when quirks are insane. if you get 420 missiles for 1 ton and slot, if your SRMs get Artemis as a quirk, good range, velocity and even heat quirks

So you can run that thing with 6xSRM6 with 1 ton of ammo, I don't know if 72 dmg alpha and 20 dps is "insuffucient armament"?
Original quirks:
Spoiler

Edited by Curccu, 28 February 2024 - 12:58 PM.

#24 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 28 February 2024 - 05:30 PM

View Post1453 R, on 28 February 2024 - 11:37 AM, said:

Viper-F was very strong, so was any build that could mass red lasers. But, certainly nobody could ever claim they were hard to kill. Scaleshot is a glass cannon, but nobody shoots the legs off because that'd require a bit of thought.

#25 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 28 February 2024 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, Viper flirted with being like 2nd tier for a light for a long time. The F helped contribute to MGs getting a bit of nerf and boosted its overall performance. Then the scaleshot came along and said "hold my beer" on release. I still feel like the Scaleshot's boosts were just unnecessary, would've rather seen the Jenner IIC be boosted to fulfill the role the Scaleshot does and then the Scaleshot could just be a large SRM ******* like the LCT-3S and Huginn used to be notorious for but hey, that's just me.

#26 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 06:56 PM

View PostCurccu, on 28 February 2024 - 12:58 PM, said:

Well weird **** happens when quirks are insane. if you get 420 missiles for 1 ton and slot, if your SRMs get Artemis as a quirk, good range, velocity and even heat quirks

So you can run that thing with 6xSRM6 with 1 ton of ammo, I don't know if 72 dmg alpha and 20 dps is "insuffucient armament"?
Original quirks:
Spoiler

All of which would be super relevant if it still had those SuperMegaUltraQuirks. It does not. It's got really good range quirks total, decent velocity, and it still has smegloads of ammo, but the spread reduction's gone and so's the heat. Scaleshot doesn't have the slots or weight to run actual-Artemis, and its gigantic energy cooldown quirk has all of one slot to work with. It's still dangerous, to be sure, but other than getting scads of phantom ammo I don't see how it's drastically more dangerous than any other fast striker-y SRM bomber?

#27 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:52 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 28 February 2024 - 05:30 PM, said:

Viper-F was very strong, so was any build that could mass red lasers. But, certainly nobody could ever claim they were hard to kill. Scaleshot is a glass cannon, but nobody shoots the legs off because that'd require a bit of thought.

Believe it or not, the players are starting to figure out that the legs need shot out. Get this though; my legs have more armor that my side torsos! Take out a side torso and they are, more than likely, going to shut down or explode because of the heat from shooting those SRMs. This has happened to me a LOT!

#28 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 March 2024 - 03:51 PM

yeah i haven't been playing much anymore either to be honest. though for me its not the Legendary mechs or anything like that. for me the game just doesn't feel as fun as it used to be. with a combination of nerfing my favorite weapon system into the ground and all the sniper buffs just adding to it. hell i don't even think those are the main contributing factor to my lack of enjoyment. anymore i just check the web site now and again to see if there is an event going on then i might come back and play long enough to get the rewards i want (if any as i am an IS player so free Clan mechs aren't really a draw for me but thats a personal thing free mechs are free mechs afterall.). it could also be that after playing for so long there is little in the way of mechs left that i am interested in getting and messing around with. though once the Longbow comes out for C-bills (maybe MC will have to look and see what they have to offer at that point) i might have a reason to back and play for a while. oh ow and again i will get a little spark that has me trying out a new build or something but the drive just isn't there anymore.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 02 March 2024 - 03:53 PM.

#29 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 03:57 PM

So...Scaleshot is OHH PEE because it moves really fast and has scads of SRMs.

Did...did I miss something or have Arctic Wolves somehow not existed for years? Sure Arctic Wolves don't/can't jump, but they can also carry way heavier payloads. And if you feel like being cheeky, you can get the dumb thing going significantly faster than many light 'Mechs move while still having an actually really good dogfighting armament (massed SRM-2s are not 'efficient' in hardpoint-to-damage terms, but the cycle rate advantage is very real if you have enough hardpoints). I fail to see how Scaleshot does anything an Arctic Wolf or JIIC can't other than jump. Sure, Viper jumps are excellent, but the comp guys have detested jump capacity for years. Why's that changed?

Better hitboxes, insane quirks, great agility values

#30 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 07:52 AM

but the comp guys have detested jump capacity for years. Why's that changed?

I think detest is probably the wrong word. Jumping is useful, given some of the maps that have been played in comp recently. But comp builds aim for 'just enough' jump rather than 'jump to the local star'. :P The Viper sees use for speed and manueverability, and for wolfpacking with lights.

#31 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 08:31 AM

I don't play as much anymore because of weapons being so OP = overpowered your TTK is so short why play this game anymore? Between Sink dropping groups and I do have proof from a few days ago carrying weapons that almost 1 shot your mech or crippling all your armor and weapons in one shot the game has become stuppid and unplayable.

If your looking for fun matches they are becoming a rare commodity in MWO sync dropping farming players from both sides is now the norm so I'm basically playing more ARK now and less MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users