Refund For The Pos Red Reaper?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Phar Ming Yu

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:49 PM

Since the RR is a complete piece of trash designed by someone who obviously hasn't put a single bit of logical thought into it beyond the paint job, can I please have a refund?

I don't know if you're aware of it, but 90% of people are right-handed and would carry a shield on their left arm. Which makes far more sense in this NASCAR-centric game.

Would it have killed you to take an extra bit of time and make it like an Omnipod that is swappable between arms?

Not to mention, who carries a shield protecting their arm only instead of having it held in front of them so you don't have to over-twist to utilize it?

And why is the shield arm locked in place? Who's brilliant idea was that?

Don't forget how the torsos blow off with the slightest breeze.

I enjoy this game and tried to support it financially when I can, but this is the last mech I'm spending my money on.

If you're going to reply to this post there is zero chance of me reading it so have at it Hoss.

Edited by Phar Ming Yu, 01 March 2024 - 10:56 PM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 March 2024 - 07:37 AM

So what you’re saying… you didn’t pay any attention to the discussion of the Onyx when it came out and bought the Reaper sight unseen?

View PostPhar Ming Yu, on 01 March 2024 - 10:49 PM, said:

Would it have killed you to take an extra bit of time and make it like an Omnipod that is swappable between arms?

No code like that currently exists in game. Are you sure that would be a trivial undertaking?

And also… if you want a refund, that’s a support ticket. This forum is for grandstanding. Posted Image

#3 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 01:40 PM

View PostPhar Ming Yu, on 01 March 2024 - 10:49 PM, said:

Since the RR is a complete piece of trash designed by someone who obviously hasn't put a single bit of logical thought into it beyond the paint job, can I please have a refund?

I don't know if you're aware of it, but 90% of people are right-handed and would carry a shield on their left arm. Which makes far more sense in this NASCAR-centric game.

Not to mention, who carries a shield protecting their arm only instead of having it held in front of them so you don't have to over-twist to utilize it?

And why is the shield arm locked in place? Who's brilliant idea was that?

Don't forget how the torsos blow off with the slightest breeze.

I enjoy this game and tried to support it financially when I can, but this is the last mech I'm spending my money on.

If you're going to reply to this post there is zero chance of me reading it so have at it Hoss.

Red Reaper is good. Three suggestions:

1. when you twist, look down. this angles the shield so it covers your entire mech with no gaps
2. don't overtwist. if your torsos are falling off you're probably twisting to the point where your back is to your enemy
3. resist the temptation to NASCAR and find places where you can peek out of cover from the left so you can best utilize the shield

I've been having luck with two SNPPC/4SRM6A with three tons of ammo and a LFE295. If you don't overtwist you can routinely tank 7-800 points of damage. my win rate with it is way higher than my overall rate too

#4 Tiy0s

• PipPipPip
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • 76 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, WA

Posted 02 March 2024 - 07:11 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 March 2024 - 07:37 AM, said:

No code like that currently exists in game. Are you sure that would be a trivial undertaking?

With the resources I have on hand, I can make the shield itself something you can toggle. I thought about that for a bit when making the Onyx, and while you can take off the shield geometry and save the tonnage the armor quirk remains. Which would then make it a strong hand scenario where you have a 200 armor arm without a shield :P. No way to tie the armor quirk to the shield geo with my current resources I'm afraid.

If we do end up making a shield omnimech, I actually could tie the shield to an omnipod with the shield geo, armor quirk, and all. So you could swap the shield on and off.

#5 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 07:18 PM

View PostTiy0s, on 02 March 2024 - 07:11 PM, said:

If we do end up making a shield omnimech, I actually could tie the shield to an omnipod with the shield geo, armor quirk, and all. So you could swap the shield on and off.

So basically what you're saying is IS omnis coming soon, Blackhawk-KU release April, Blackhawk-KU 'Albert' next legendary? I'm sold!

#6 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 10:28 AM

View PostTiy0s, on 02 March 2024 - 07:11 PM, said:

With the resources I have on hand, I can make the shield itself something you can toggle. I thought about that for a bit when making the Onyx, and while you can take off the shield geometry and save the tonnage the armor quirk remains. Which would then make it a strong hand scenario where you have a 200 armor arm without a shield Posted Image. No way to tie the armor quirk to the shield geo with my current resources I'm afraid.

Isn't it possible actually? Just reuse the same mechanics as "damage reduction from mounting certain weapon size" code that exists for Timber Wolf mounting LRM10+, Mad Cat II with missile ears, etc.
https://mwomercs.com...atch-notes/2722
Would need to make the shield an detachable equipment like AMS/ECM I suppose or have it be a toggle like arm/hand actuator like you just said.

Remove the armor quirk, give the entire limb while the shield is mounted this feature except with massive amount (-67% damage taken in RR's case) on the shield limb, this effectively gives a 57armor/24structure limb that is the BLK's default right arm to have the same effective HP as the current Red Reaper (198armor/56structure shield arm)
As for the Onyx the math seems to be -50% damage reduction to have the same effective durability as current Onyx.
But uhh these are really just napkin math.

Edited by Ttly, 11 March 2024 - 10:53 AM.

#7 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:54 PM

It's always fascinating to me when someone reads the opinion/information given by the guy whose daily job is to work with the code, then proceeds to offer all sorts of unsolicited advice about how to do it "properly" despite never having seen the code in question.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 04:10 PM

View Post1453 R, on 12 March 2024 - 01:54 PM, said:

It's always fascinating to me when someone reads the opinion/information given by the guy whose daily job is to work with the code, then proceeds to offer all sorts of unsolicited advice about how to do it "properly" despite never having seen the code in question.

Someone make this man a manager. He speaks like he knows our pain.

#9 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:55 PM

I legit don't think they work in a traditional software engineering, that or they hit that one point where they know enough to provide horrible opinions but not enough to know better.

#10 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 12:45 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 12 March 2024 - 04:10 PM, said:

Someone make this man a manager. He speaks like he knows our pain.

Yeah, he's a true empath! Truly capable of reading other people's minds through text messages.

And because the developers absolutely remember every single obscure feature in the game and has totally considered using -% damage reduction instead of +armor/+structure quirks instead!
After all it *is* their job to stare at the game's code all day long.
I'm sure they remember that heat sinks gain increased cooling while the limb it is mounted is submerged in water too, or that moving at 100% speed generates around 0.3 heat.
Yeah, I'm sure they remember all of it.

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 13 March 2024 - 06:55 PM, said:

I legit don't think they work in a traditional software engineering, that or they hit that one point where they know enough to provide horrible opinions but not enough to know better.

Yeah, because reusing the same code that already exists (equipped item geometry, -% damage reduction when said item is equipped) warrants 2-3 months of bug testing, it absolutely does! It's a feature from 1 year ago after all! Who knows if the dev team even consists of the same people from back then!

Edited by Ttly, 14 March 2024 - 12:54 AM.

#11 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 05:44 AM

Buddy. Dude. Guy.

Just because the code exists somewhere doesn't mean it can be used the way you want it to be used. Game code is often a colossal assemblage of puzzle pieces. You can't always lift a piece wholesale from somewhere and drop it back down somewhere else. Elsewise why would anyone "develop" games at all anymore, rather than just hijacking the code they need from existing games and Lego Frankenstein it together into their own game?

Again - if they COULD then they WOULD. Or, in this case, we can ask why the hell people buy the shield 'Mechs, discover the shield 'Mechs have shields, and then freak out and get super upset that their shield 'Mech has a shield.

Edited by 1453 R, 14 March 2024 - 05:44 AM.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 11:49 AM

View Post1453 R, on 14 March 2024 - 05:44 AM, said:

Buddy. Dude. Guy.

Just because the code exists somewhere doesn't mean it can be used the way you want it to be used. Game code is often a colossal assemblage of puzzle pieces. You can't always lift a piece wholesale from somewhere and drop it back down somewhere else.

Here's a horror story from a former employer of mine. By corporate decree, all windows servers had to be upgraded to 2016 or later. The task of updating the payroll system fell to me as the senior engineer. And it was a DINOSAUR. I could not talk them into converting it into a new system.

So I ripped out the IIS core functionality and got the DLL's for IIS 4.0 running under Windows 2016. This let me turn on IIS 3.0 compatibility mode, which was the newest core this particular Crystal Reports database could utilize. (It was written for NT 3.51.) Microsoft said it couldn't be done, and the other vendors no longer existed. But I got it to work.

They've been hating it every day since. Simple common sense improvements are impossible, because the core code just can't do that. And after I left that company, they keep calling me for support (which I always turn down because they want it for free... I documented it, read that or pay me). They should have recoded it, but they never did.

So yeah. MWO is running on a LUA stack circa 2007 here on CryEngine 3.x which was released in 2009. There are going to be limits as to what they can do with it on any hardware or O/S they can currently support. As time goes by they're going to have to do weird things to their servers so they can run increasingly aged code.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 14 March 2024 - 12:02 PM.

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 14 March 2024 - 02:25 PM

Finally got around to buying the RRII (inspired by most of these negative posts I've been seeing) Counter NASCAR here we come!

Edited by Bud Crue, 14 March 2024 - 02:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users