Can You Make Lrms Gradually Accelerate As They Fly?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 11:37 AM

This will solve both issues of not having enough reaction time to get to cover at 300-400m ranges AND LRMs being totally useless past 600m.
Real missile accelerates exponentially as it becomes lighter.
While we at it let us switch LRM firemodes just like you can switch ECM to counter or remove "direct" fire all together or make it artemis exclusive mode.
Most of us like their weapons to fire in predictable manner instead of missiles going into ground because target popped out of cover for split second

Edited by Vincefeld, 02 March 2024 - 12:08 PM.

#2 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 March 2024 - 03:41 PM

you know as an Ex-MLRS operator for the US Army i don't know why i hadn't thought to put that down as a suggestion for LRM balance before. it would definitely be interesting and add something dynamic to the weapon system. so having them accelerate as they travel might be fun. sadly this would take actual programing not just a change in the background numbers so it isn't likely to happen at this point in the game. PGI is focusing their very limited programing budget on Legendary mechs that they can try and make quick cash off of. even that is usually just a new skin and perhaps some new hardpoints on existing chassis (though the big shield mechs are interesting at least.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:16 PM

that just makes the targeting more complex. this kind of integration i dont think is compatible with the server authoritative model. it likes deterministic models where you can determine where the missile is at any point in time based on starting conditions and a timestamp. and while integration is reversable (derivative), it is not mathematically fast/easy. and let me throw on top of that the added complexity of doing hit detection in an accelerating frame of reference. mwo is buggy enough, you don't want to invoke the kraken (ksp players know).

<- has written a newtonian flight model

you be able to fake it by changing the velocity, based on time of flight, in discrete steps. you essentially set up a new set of starting conditions at the transition point. its like having a missile that fires a missile. that is assuming somone wants to write code. nobody at pgi writes new code.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 March 2024 - 05:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users