More Contrast Between Standard Pulse And X-Pulse

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jag Hiroshi

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 04:06 AM

I see less and less standard pulse action on IC mechs these days - and plenty of mechs staring people down with x-pulse. Heavy and Assault HSL+1 mechs with large X-Pulse are ten a penny now.

It's no wonder really. The moment someone has X pulse trained on you, it's a completely different type of pressure to standard weaponry. It's not just the damage they do but the panic they cause and it's difficult to advocate standards over x pulse at the moment.

I wondered - what if there was a bit more differentiation between standard and X - where if X are stare-down weapon, standard pulse were made more valuable peek shot weapons by virtue of raising cooldown but bumping damage?

#2 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 06:22 AM

Xpulse has a range advantage, but Regular Pulse is better if you have a wall.

#3 VanBurenPhilips

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 06:37 AM

Or reducing duration?

I just came back to MWO after a years-long break. I like face-timey skirmish builds & I'm finding nearly all my old pulse builds are getting switched to X pulse. Exceptions so far are alpha-then-shield builds, plain ol' pulse work much better on those. Also my Crab, doing the nose-wiggle to spread damage, I've tried both and still prefer pulse on it.

So I would suggest (if any adjustment is needed) keeping DPS and overall rate of fire as is, but shortening duration and increasing cooldown by the same amount. Make 'em punchier for alpha strikers, peekers, pop-tarts. Could be an interesting change.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 01:51 PM

x-pulse is better in shoot'n'scoot and pulse is better for trading. seems a pretty distinct contrast to me.

#5 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 03:05 PM

They're already substantially different and have different use cases.

#6 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:08 PM

Xpulse is facetime, normal pulse is the oppposite. Seems different to me.

#7 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 06 March 2024 - 10:44 AM

Clearly, exposure of facetime use is worth it, given how widespread it is. Point and click, ammo-less, so come back to the target when you want. Extremely forgiving. That's why I like 'em!

There was a (now-deleted?) claim of upcoming nerfs to heat. Reduce windows of opportunity by just a smidge. That would be perfect.

#8 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 02:19 PM

We'll likely see a balance between Xpulse and reg Pulse after the new weapons are added and Beam Lasers and (clan) Pulse lasers need further distinction. I could see maybe a half point of damage increase or so to small+medium pulses, it would still keep X-pulses higher in DPS with a range advantage, but keep alpha + cover playstyle advantage to regular pulses. Large Pulses are still pretty nasty though, the alpha from 3 of them are no joke.

Edited by CanadianCyrus, 06 March 2024 - 02:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users