Balance BattleMechs

27 replies to this topic

#21 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 11:31 AM

"matchmaker" and "work" do not belong in the same sentence.

#22 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 11:47 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 March 2024 - 11:31 AM, said:

"matchmaker" and "work" do not belong in the same sentence.

And there is no improvement of the matchmaker in sight.Posted Image

#23 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 04:04 PM

It works like this:
- If you are winning, it is entirely because your performance is single handedly carrying the team to victory.
- If you are losing, it is because the matchmaker has specifically targetted you as an individual and [strike the unrelated to current match] stacked the teams/nerfed just your mech/toxic compies/tier 1 people are all bad/meta mechs/punished you by not allowing paint on the head of your favourite mech/not followed correct tabletop mechanics.

The most important thing to remember is any loss is always someone else's fault

#24 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 06:00 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 18 March 2024 - 04:04 PM, said:

It works like this:
- If you are winning, it is entirely because your performance is single handedly carrying the team to victory.
- If you are losing, it is because the matchmaker has specifically targetted you as an individual and [strike the unrelated to current match] stacked the teams/nerfed just your mech/toxic compies/tier 1 people are all bad/meta mechs/punished you by not allowing paint on the head of your favourite mech/not followed correct tabletop mechanics.

The most important thing to remember is any loss is always someone else's fault

Don't forget "map selection doesn't matter because people always pick [map your 'mech does poorly on]".

#25 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 09:22 PM

"It just works"

- Paul Inouye, probably

#26 Zieten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 01:13 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 17 March 2024 - 10:31 AM, said:

Lighter mechs arent weaker. A badly piloted assault mech is as bad as a badly piloted light.

OP should consider mediums and heavies as they are the most welcoming for new players. Lights are a challenge to learn, and so are assaults, though many simply havent realized that.

He was referring to "lighter" mechs in the same weight bracket, i.e. a 60 tonner vs a 75 tonner or a 85 tonner vs a 100 tonner. he is not referring to the 4 basic weight classes

#27 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 March 2024 - 04:30 PM

View PostGruyter, on 17 March 2024 - 03:50 PM, said:

There's clearly some kind of power balancing that takes place with regards to 'Mech class. I can see in the Quick Play dropdown which 'Mechs are most in demand at the moment. My question was whether there's any strategic advantage to taking a lighter 'Mech within a particular weight class, and it seems like the answer is a resounding "NO!" Given that, I think I'll probably just sell the Dragon, keep the Marauder for nostalgia's sake, and mostly drive my Timberwolf, since it seems to be getting the most kills per game.

Negative. What you see on that dropdown is when the game MM was restricted to 2-2-2-2 for 8-man, then when it went 12-man 3-3-3-3. If the MM opened up then both sides would have matching weight classes. Then PGI had to manually open up the MM when new mechs were introduced, and for a few days there were long weight times when the new mechs were a specific weight class. Eventually they set the weight class to open up really quickly, and in the Solo queue, they still had matching weight classes, it was nothing like it is today with the current QP queue.

#28 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:38 AM

View PostNine-Ball, on 18 March 2024 - 09:22 PM, said:

"It just works"

- Paul Inouye, probably

I remember Paul Inouye promising a honest discussion about the matchmaker ...

... and leaving the forums forever. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users