Manifold

21 replies to this topic

#1 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 01 March 2024 - 11:36 AM

Map "Manifold" 6 times in a row today; earlier today having been played the same map
ad nauseam. Whats' wrong with the other maps ??! [redacted]

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 25 March 2024 - 01:15 AM.

#2 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 01 March 2024 - 01:24 PM

Well you see HPG is built for snipers and the balancing is done by snipers for snipers. So then the snipers vote for the sniper map.

#3 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 02:26 PM

View PostAlstren, on 01 March 2024 - 01:24 PM, said:

Well you see HPG is built for snipers and the balancing is done by snipers for snipers. So then the snipers vote for the sniper map.

Snipers have very good spots on HPG but their sightlines are obvious and the center has incredible amounts of cover from them. I brawl on HPG all the time with a great deal of success. if your team pays attention (lol) and doesn't immediately panic and drop into the basement (lol) it's pretty easy to handle snipers. even moreso if a fast light or medium dislodges them from the wall.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 March 2024 - 02:47 PM

Pretty unlucky odds but I believe HPG was given a slightly higher weight in the probability of being a map choice a couple months ago. But there's still always 3 other maps that can be chosen.

#5 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:21 PM

I got one better, I had two consecutive drops on Solaris City, with (as far as we all could tell) the same people on each team.

#6 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 March 2024 - 07:19 PM

There are lots of places to hide from said snipers and very conveniently placed rams for you to go up and *get* said snipers, assuming you are not too busy typing about how much you hate the snipers you aren't killing.

#7 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 03 March 2024 - 09:51 AM

View Postkalashnikity, on 01 March 2024 - 08:21 PM, said:

I got one better, I had two consecutive drops on Solaris City, with (as far as we all could tell) the same people on each team.

Solaris city... My damned bane!

For HPG manish!t... Sorry, manifold!
Down 'to da basement, downer to da cellars then deeper to Diablo him(her?)self! Snippaz either come down if they wanna U or everyone wait 'till timer down and heed how snippaz may complain 'bout coward, hidin' shoggoth-spawns of many-mothers...

I could understand Vitric less... Why so popular that bad map? Original Vitric is just grades&grades superior! (wut, dat iz FP-clusive?! Whodahellcarez?!)

#8 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 10:46 AM

Let me tell you after what 5-6 years of this horrible map voting system it sucks sometimes I have played Canyon 10 times a night and I can tell you it BLOWS CHUNKS no one but RUSS BULLOCK ever wanted this terrible map feature as he thought it would make MWO more like a E_SPORT what a joke.

MWO was a far better game when we had a random map system, and you just picked the game mode we could play all the wonderful maps that MWO has to offer and enjoy knowing we never had to play the same map over and over and over again every night.

Edited by KingCobra, 03 March 2024 - 10:47 AM.

#9 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 01:57 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 03 March 2024 - 10:46 AM, said:

Let me tell you after what 5-6 years of this horrible map voting system it sucks sometimes I have played Canyon 10 times a night and I can tell you it BLOWS CHUNKS no one but RUSS BULLOCK ever wanted this terrible map feature as he thought it would make MWO more like a E_SPORT what a joke.

MWO was a far better game when we had a random map system, and you just picked the game mode we could play all the wonderful maps that MWO has to offer and enjoy knowing we never had to play the same map over and over and over again every night.

ermmm... wasn't map voting system there way way before mr.Bullocks heard word esport?

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 March 2024 - 11:04 AM

Map voting was added because a lot of players kept asking for it. They were upset when they brought brawling weapons but landed on Alpine randomly. PGI wasn't able to develop a pre-match lobby where you pick your mech after the map, so this is what we got. Same with mode selection. This gives players agency. If it were random, you could still get stuck with maps you hate. At least this way, you have an ability to sway the outcome. And if your preferred map isn't chosen, you get another vote next time, guaranteeing you will eventually be able to sway the map selection in your favor. It's a good map voting design, really. It's just that you have to contend with 23 other players picking. If the majority wants to play Canyon, then you get to play Canyon I guess.

I do not think they needed to change the recent map weighting. Canyon probably appears far more often as a choice now because of it. Also, Hibernal is largely the same as Canyon, so you have two maps that can be chosen and play basically the same.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 06 March 2024 - 11:04 AM.

#11 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,558 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 06 March 2024 - 12:06 PM

View PostCurccu, on 04 March 2024 - 01:57 AM, said:

ermmm... wasn't map voting system there way way before mr.Bullocks heard word esport?

Even when he did, PGI had a bit of a hot/cold relationship with the competitive scene as a whole. I mean, pretty sure the last championship that they hosted completely was the stock championship (which was also the last year they hosted a Mechcon). Which is all probably no coincidence given MW5 came out a year later.

#12 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,890 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 March 2024 - 01:13 PM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 06 March 2024 - 12:06 PM, said:

Even when he did, PGI had a bit of a hot/cold relationship with the competitive scene as a whole. I mean, pretty sure the last championship that they hosted completely was the stock championship (which was also the last year they hosted a Mechcon). Which is all probably no coincidence given MW5 came out a year later.

Interestingly (not really), voting was introduced in the November 2015 patch, I think it was a couple weeks later that Russ did one of his updates where he announced that there would be the first world championship in 2016. So I guess map voting directly lead to Russ's esports obsession /s meh.

#13 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,558 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 06 March 2024 - 01:39 PM

Even with the WC, the qualifiers for that made zero sense (not to mention exhausting) and they were repeatedly warned about it. Thus why I describe the relationship as hot/cold. A lot of times things just seemed either too little too late (with no real attempt to try and recover) or just ignored all conventional wisdom of esports. 2017 was better, but competition had dwindled by that point with 2018 just being the finishing blow for a lot of competitive teams.

I want to attribute comp's resurgence to the cauldron but that's just a guess because I stopped playing comp in 2017 (I came back for a bit for the 2018 WC, but that and the PTS frustrated me quite a bit) and only played one or two months a year to scratch that itch until they added the new weapons and started to get sucked back in.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 06 March 2024 - 01:44 PM.

#14 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 09 March 2024 - 01:22 PM

You should never stay in the basement except in a desperate situation where you have very little to lose anyway, that said.... going through the basement and brawling the enemy's back line is glorious... just saying.

#15 DarkBazerker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 260 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWaffle House

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:34 PM

At the end of the day, when whole team in on the wall (either side), I just count it as a waste and move on. Yes there are days like this where it seems like this is all you can find, thus I walk away and read a book or something.

#16 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 19 March 2024 - 09:02 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 01 March 2024 - 08:21 PM, said:

What's wrong with Solaris City? I love that map! I also love the Hellebore map too though, so my taste might be suspect.

Seriously though, What's wrong with it? I know some computers might have problems with it and I know LRMboats don't like it, but other than those things, what's wrong with it?

As for HPG Manifold, if there are more than 3 snipers, head to the basement or get some of your own mechs up there to knock them off. The hardest things for that map is keeping your team OUT of the basement! Actually my problem with the map is that it is a vacuum atmosphere so there is almost no sound, other than your own or if you get hit by missile or ballistic weapons and even those are muted down.

#17 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 06:27 AM

View PostDarkBazerker, on 19 March 2024 - 08:34 PM, said:

At the end of the day, when whole team in on the wall (either side), I just count it as a waste and move on. Yes there are days like this where it seems like this is all you can find, thus I walk away and read a book or something.

you could give up like this and lose every time while feeling slightly better about it or you could actually try to win the game despite the other players not doing exactly what you'd like them to do. you might even find ways to counter the snipers.

#18 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,838 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:19 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 20 March 2024 - 06:27 AM, said:

you could give up like this and lose every time while feeling slightly better about it or you could actually try to win the game despite the other players not doing exactly what you'd like them to do. you might even find ways to counter the snipers.

Honestly I LOVE it when snipers are on the wall in HPG Manifold. That's them willingly separating from their team, allowing any mech with short ranged weaponry and 90+kph of speed to come and eat their shorts. Posted Image

#19 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:51 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 20 March 2024 - 07:19 AM, said:

Honestly I LOVE it when snipers are on the wall in HPG Manifold. That's them willingly separating from their team, allowing any mech with short ranged weaponry and 90+kph of speed to come and eat their shorts. Posted Image

But when yer brawling and get shot in the back all the time and you cannot figure out where the shots came from and there are no 90+kph on yer side than you have a serious problem

Edited by Inatu Elimor, 21 March 2024 - 07:52 AM.

#20 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,838 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:54 AM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 21 March 2024 - 07:51 AM, said:

But when yer brawling and get shot in the back all the time and you cannot figure out where the shots came from and there are no 90+kph on yer side than you have a serious problem

That's solo dropping for you. but my solution... play that 90kph+ mech and go sniper hunting. its fun on most maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users