#1 Syntax 420

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationurmoms house lol

Posted 26 March 2024 - 12:50 PM

Title kinda says it all. I struggle to maintain 60 fps. usually sitting around 30-40 on most maps and often dipping much lower.

The weird thing is... my CPU usage never goes past 23% and the graphics card never gets past 30%

I don't know why this could be. I've fiddled with the user.cfg file to make use of all my CPU cores, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

I just want the game to use the hardware that it's running on :(

...and no, I don't consider turning down my settings a fix. I shouldn't have to do that, and it makes the game look intolerably worse. If anything I should be able to turn it up much higher...

...Also the fact that it's an older engine is no good excuse either. Source is an old engine and I can run HL2 at several hundred fps.

my pc stats:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (14nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: HP 2DP97AA#ABC 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: KingSpec P3 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte EAGLE GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8 GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WBAX210 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75 CFM 120 mm Fans 2-Pack
Monitor: Acer K272HL 27.0" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz Monitor
Mouse: Razer Basilisk V3 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech G435 Headset
Webcam: Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam

#2 Captain Grayson Lighthorse

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:11 PM

I have a similar experience. I struggled with getting my fps to run above 60 but finally got it to run 70 - 80 with some tweaking of my video settings in the NVidia control panel and by downloading the NVidia Profile Inspector and tweaking some settings in there. It's odd because a few months ago I could run near my monitors full fps which is 120. But after taking a break from MWO for a few months, I now struggle to maintain 70's. I have a hi-end system much like yours with a Ryzen 5950x and a 3090 Ti GPU and this game should not even be a small struggle for this system even at 4k. My old system was an Intel i5 with a 1080 Ti and it actually ran about the same fps at 1080p. Don't know if they have some kind of cap on the fps in the game engine or what, but it should perform better than what it is.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 March 2024 - 03:37 PM

Actually, it is a good excuse. The Cryengine 3 beta lives off of high single core speed. It is not setup to utilize multiple cores. High End GPU really does not matter since the CPU does must of the work.
  • Via task manager, Details, set MWO Processor Affinity.
  • Is there a change in FPS?
  • The control panel Power Options, Ensure it is set at High Performance instead of Balanced or PowerSaver. On two of my systems, the Windows had changed the settings in the last few months from High Performance to Balanced.
  • OC the CPU. Your CPU base speeds are the same as they were for 2-core (physical and HT) and 4-core systems from years ago. Check your motherboard bios to see if it has preset setting for more aggressive CPU speeds.
  • Do not depend on Turboboost, as that is supposed to only be temporary, it is the general layman's sometimes OC.
  • The 5950x has a greater OC potential of 4.5ghz to 5ghz, while the 1600 may hit 3.8ghz.

Also the fact that it's an older engine is no good excuse either.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x Base Clock 3.4GHz 16-core/32 w/hyperthreaded

In general though, after the November 2023 Item Database issue and update, several have seen their FPS drop in the last few months. Part of it is how that update was handled by PGI, a little bit likely due to Windows resetting Power Options from High Performance.

My system is a i5-8600K (3.6ghz) OC to 4.5ghz 16gig/ram and a Geforce RTS 2060 Super, besides Solaris, maps are usually 80+.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 March 2024 - 04:21 PM.

#4 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 11:53 AM

CPU usage is an awefull metric. 100% would mean, that each core and thread is working on 100% speed. Mwo only cares about single core CPU clock speed. 1600 has quite poor single core performance.

What u can do is the mentioned of, double checking power settings are maxed and clear shaders.
Using custom CFG is an option. Sadly true in 2024.

#5 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:00 PM

Yep. Game engine only uses one core and its very dependent upon high clocks. Doesn't even need to be all that powerful a cpu overall as long as the clocks are high. The op's mobo should have plenty of options for a much higher clocked cpu since amd is known for its socket longevity.

#6 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 12:29 AM

Since it is only an a Board the 5600x could be an nice upgrade. I wouldn't go much higher because of power phases and in relation to the rest of the system. Would be an nice cheap upgrade, though u need to flash an new bios (can check MSI HP if available)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users