13 replies to this topic

#1 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:36 AM

Okay, this would be negative, I warn you! But, well, I thought I need to write this down because it still bothers me vastly...

Today started well: Not felt dead tired, redeemed my prize Dreadnaught, had a good walk with my dog, the weather were excellent...

I thought nothing could ruin my day apart the fact I had to go to the oncology. But that's not a big deal, everyone goes to doctors. And most people even do survive visit a doctor (I though)...

Sit and wait in the oncology's lobby to my call. Not far away from me two old hags (sorry, I should call them something more rude!) talked among each others <== Literally means: They do not cared if other peoples within 5 metres radius may hear their *cough* conversation...

On the other side of the lobby a gipsy mother waited with her girl. The girl were around 6-8 years old and already bald from the "cure". Sorrowfull little creature she were, a sad sight I thought.

But then the two crypt-filler hags started to debate "why waste time and resources to even try to save *such a creature*"... They meant the girl and it were suddenly far beyond WTF moment! I mean f@ck, what?!

What the f@ck, what the hell is wrong with this sh!t world?! How could two - pressumably - grandmothers talk about such a vile thing that let a girl die because borned as a gipsy? I thought Mengele and Unit 731 buried in history, we should be more fair and such...

That, more precisely the two braindead {Godwin's Law}-racist hags ruined all my positive thoughts instantly! First time I felt it would be not just good but just to slaughter down some sh!tf@ckers...

Sorry, I am rude! Yes. But damn! How could we return to such a dark age? Prejudice is one thing but talk loudly to let some innocent child die because of it's descent is FAR beyond prejudice. That's plain "better-die-sh!theads" or worse! I am a jerk, has a rather dark soul, has no children but I could never even just think to let a child die because he or she may belong to a minority, because they may have different skintone or such...

So, why and how could others?

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:03 PM

I want to see us shake that impulse as a species. There are just too many folks out there who cannot see past themselves, or past their own interests or group, and they spend their time branding others. Perhaps it makes them feel better, perhaps they're afraid or stressed, just giving in to the impulse to drag other folks down. Its a negative us humans can't seem to get past... hating on the "others." (Whomever that "other" might be to them.)

I figure if we're going to rise above it, we have to take an active hand. Help create that world. You'll find me volunteering at the food bank a lot, helping others when I can.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:39 PM

just a forwarning that history is in the process of repeating itself. "but its (insert year here), that can never happen!" has been uttered by fools since humans started counting time. the pendulum swings.

#4 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 27 March 2024 - 09:37 PM

Fun fact time. Most of humanity hates each others guts and wouldn't shed a single tear if the rest of the planet sodded off leaving it all to them and only them. We get fooled by the microscopic portion of humanity that does get along and delude ourselves into thinking everyone is like that.

They Are Not.

#5 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 March 2024 - 11:26 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 March 2024 - 08:39 PM, said:

just a forwarning that history is in the process of repeating itself. "but its (insert year here), that can never happen!" has been uttered by fools since humans started counting time. the pendulum swings.

I not wish to repeat the errors and sins of my forefathers.

View PostMeep Meep, on 27 March 2024 - 09:37 PM, said:

Fun fact time. Most of humanity hates each others guts and wouldn't shed a single tear if the rest of the planet sodded off leaving it all to them and only them. We get fooled by the microscopic portion of humanity that does get along and delude ourselves into thinking everyone is like that.

They Are Not.

Then let the galaxy burn?
I not care killing adults in a war or other situation where they could defend themselves. But when things aim the children in peacetime, write and say, that's a whole different story.
There clearly must be a red line. I think those old hags crossed that line because target children by whatever reason or mean is just BAD. No matter one how may try to explain that, children are children and must left out of the "not-so-safe games of the adults"...
We, adults, nearly all lost our innocence. Some became darker and wicked, some benevolent and helpful. It more or less our decision which path we may follow despite the inherent traits we born with.
Children are innocents thus abuse them any way is a sin no matter what...

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 05:52 AM

individuals may be able to choose their path, but society has inertia. it can not stop on a dime anymore than an uncontrolled ship can avoid hitting a bridge. thats a good metaphore, i need to use it more. but there are enough chaos actors pouring diesel fuel on all the little fires turning into big fires. there are a few trying to put them out but they seem to be grossly outnumbered and silenced those who would rather just have revenge. predators chasing easy prey. the omens are not good.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 March 2024 - 05:55 AM.

#7 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 March 2024 - 03:08 PM

Remember that you generally hear only the loudest voices. Yeah, that applies to social media filters in spades, but also to your personal life. You've overheard innumerable conversations, but that one stands out because its content was unconscionable. We're wired that way, because it's great if the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I'm happy in my life - but that is a bear over there, and none of that matters if it eats me.

But those two having their little racist conversation - which may well have been intended to be overheard - aren't the norm. Most people don't hate each other; even groups that are rivals. The Jihadi terrorists who control certain nations or groups don't really speak for the people they control (and oppress,) they're just the ones who are able to speak, or to do violence - loudest voices.

Not that everything is honey and roses, but don't mistake the vicious ramblings of a couple of aging racists with nothing to lose. Chances are, they've watched the world pass them and their prejudices by, and petty revenge against a little girl is the most influence they can hope for. It's not all right, but it's not all that common any more.

#8 RyHavoc

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 08:57 PM

Ok...here you go, and borrowing with pride from Max...
Breathe, do good , be good. it will be ok. :)

Desiderata:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

by Max Ehrmann ©1927

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:20 AM

While I do understand your disgust I have to say that you just witnessed one of the defining traits of Humnity as a species.

Not oversimplyfied bs like "hate" or "Nadsiiiiii" but what actually drives us as social creatures.

Group dynamics, what makes us going "US" against "THEM".

It is the very same thing what drives us playing this game. Wanting to be better, wanting to compete wanting to perform wanting to be SUPERIOR!!!

And everyone that answers to the question: "do I need PvP in a multiplayer Game" with "Hell yes" will find themselves on one or an other occasion on the same level as those two elderly woman.

#10 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 06 April 2024 - 04:30 PM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 27 March 2024 - 11:26 PM, said:

Then let the galaxy burn?

The galaxy is going to burn regardless of how we personally feel about it. Conflict is in humanities very nature embedded deeply into the basic dna survival programming. The best we can do is try to harness and control it via civilization as eliminating it is about as viable as eliminating our basic emotions. We are not Vulcans.

I not care killing adults in a war or other situation where they could defend themselves. But when things aim the children in peacetime, write and say, that's a whole different story.
There clearly must be a red line. I think those old hags crossed that line because target children by whatever reason or mean is just BAD. No matter one how may try to explain that, children are children and must left out of the "not-so-safe games of the adults"...
We, adults, nearly all lost our innocence. Some became darker and wicked, some benevolent and helpful. It more or less our decision which path we may follow despite the inherent traits we born with.
Children are innocents thus abuse them any way is a sin no matter what...

Children are often the victims of war and even used as soldiers in war. We can be an incredibly barbaric race when we allow our more basic instincts to run riot and its something that spreads and infects others around it. Africa is a good example of what happens when civilization goes out the door and barbarity returns. In the early 20th century the west had built massive shining modern cities and infrastructure in many african nations on par with the best the west had at home.

The issue was that the africans were not ready for it yet. You can't force a near stone age culture into a 10,000 year leap of technology and expect them to just go along with it forgetting all of their former ways to embrace a completely foreign way of living. So once the west left africa in the late 20th century it all went back to the way it was before and now you have massive religious wars and drug wars and just wars for the fun of having wars as all those once shining cities fall into ruin and the infrastructure decays into uselessness. Search up boko haram and what they do to any village they find.. Horrific stuff.. And they are just one group of hundreds doing this evil. This is happening all over the world where the light of civilization wanes and the olde ways return.

Sadly its a cycle we can trace back for as long as humans have recorded history. Roughly once every century or so the majority of the planet goes nutso and we embark upon a massive series of purges of humanity via war and brutality and oppressive authoritarian governments.

Just Like Clockwork. Guess how long its been since the last big global banger? Time is about up. Posted Image

#11 R O B O C O P

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2024 - 08:00 AM

The boundary between humanism and genocide disappears as soon as we are stripped into "us" and "them"

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 April 2024 - 10:26 AM

So let's get our "us versus them" out like civilized folks... on the pitch, on the field, in the stadium. Get that other team, they suck!

#13 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 April 2024 - 07:04 PM

Exactly. Civilization harnesses that built in will to dominate by channeling it into work and play in a controlled and organized manner. Think about all those soccer games where the crowd rioted or burned down the stadium because they won or lost or were just drunk and ready to tear shizz up and both sides were feeling jiggy. Better to release all that pent up aggression in a controlled way than let it run rampant and actually destroy something useful.

Edited by Meep Meep, 07 April 2024 - 07:09 PM.

#14 Fnord Asteroid

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe River

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:57 AM

might makes right
its the only perennial truth
adapt or get run over
life doesn't care either way

1 user(s) are reading this topic