Mechwarrior 5: Clans

13 replies to this topic

#1 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia.

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:13 AM

If anyone does not know, then this month a demo version of the Clans was shown behind closed doors to the press at the developer festival. There is nothing else except the photos of the main menu merged into the network. We must wait for news from gaming publications. The menu shows that there will be a change of campaigns (probably between future DLCs with other Clans) and, most importantly, our entire star is visible, the key characters around whom all events will take place during Operation Rebirth. Everything looks very cool. I am very much looking forward to reviews, news about the demo and in general I am very much looking forward to the game. I've been dreaming of a new Clan game for a long time and again with a linear campaign.
https://i.ibb.co/Kb3...h-E4q-JF234.jpg

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:20 AM

View PostPyc_MadWolf, on 28 March 2024 - 08:13 AM, said:

If anyone does not know, then this month a demo version of the Clans was shown behind closed doors to the press at the developer festival.

Thanks for the info.

Posted Image

Finally a game in which the Smoke Jaguars get some spotlight. Posted Image

#3 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:32 AM

And of course, if anyone missed it, here's Russ Bullack's No Guts No Galaxy interview. He tells very interesting things about Clans. In general, the most epic and exciting game in the Mechwarrior series is expected, and veterans of the series will appreciate the game, especially those who remember what real linear campaigns with a good plot and atmosphere are. Plus, they promise more advanced controls, closer to the simulator, sort of. The game is also promised to be hardcore.

There will be videos, cut scenes. There are more than 10 key characters with the main stories and there will be dialogues. Not exactly like in an RPG, but approximate. There will even be variability with the choice. But no one is going to change the story.

https://youtu.be/JlA...tAKWXnGVAExHZt8

Edited by Pyc_MadWolf, 28 March 2024 - 09:41 AM.

#4 Mister Smile

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 04:38 PM

View Postmartian, on 28 March 2024 - 08:20 AM, said:

Finally a game in which the Smoke Jaguars get some spotlight. Posted Image

But the already got their spotlight in MW3. Posted Image

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:16 PM

View PostMister Smile, on 28 March 2024 - 04:38 PM, said:

But the already got their spotlight in MW3. Posted Image

I meant something like the original MW2 or MW2:GBL.

#6 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 29 March 2024 - 08:54 AM

The irony of having a Smoke Jaguar focused campaign and showing a Timber Wolf instead of something like the Ebon Jaguar or even better, the Warhawk.

IDK what it is but something about the character models just seems really.....bland.

#7 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 09:09 AM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 29 March 2024 - 08:54 AM, said:

The irony of having a Smoke Jaguar focused campaign and showing a Timber Wolf instead of something like the Ebon Jaguar or even better, the Warhawk.

IDK what it is but something about the character models just seems really.....bland.

Timber Wolf was chosen for the cover as the most recognizable mech and it is already an icon of the MechWarrior series of games. There is no discussion here, and this is a reference to MW2: 31_th Century Combat. MW2 is taken as a basis and a model for creating Clans. Well, MW2 is the most successful game in the series. Maybe the characters don't look good because of the poor photo quality. And this is just a demo version for now))

#8 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 09:33 AM

View PostPyc_MadWolf, on 29 March 2024 - 09:09 AM, said:

Timber Wolf was chosen for the cover as the most recognizable mech and it is already an icon of the MechWarrior series of games. There is no discussion here, and this is a reference to MW2: 31_th Century Combat. MW2 is taken as a basis and a model for creating Clans. Well, MW2 is the most successful game in the series. Maybe the characters don't look good because of the poor photo quality. And this is just a demo version for now))

I get why it was chosen, but doesn't mean I can't find it goofy. Honestly I don't care about the callback to MW2, but I'm not shocked that PGI is trying their best to nostalgia bait all the old whales.

#9 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 09:49 AM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 29 March 2024 - 09:33 AM, said:

I get why it was chosen, but doesn't mean I can't find it goofy. Honestly I don't care about the callback to MW2, but I'm not shocked that PGI is trying their best to nostalgia bait all the old whales.

All the best, well-forgotten old things. Well, it's been a long time since there were classic games with linear campaigns. Why invent a bicycle if all the best has already been invented? Plus, there has not been a game for Clans against the Inner Sphere yet, and this is a fact, as there was no game for the Smoky Jaguars. Imho, but many are really looking forward to the game and are excited about it.

Edited by Pyc_MadWolf, 29 March 2024 - 09:49 AM.

#10 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 11:08 AM

Maybe, but IMO replaying the "greatest hits" of Battletech constantly is not a good sign for the brand as a whole. We have yet to have a Mechwarrior (MW, not mechassault) that goes beyond 3067. MWO and MW5 were trying to relive those greatest hits by trying to "re-capture" the magic of MW2/3 and IMO both were failures on that front. Trying to "relive" glory days rarely works out, honestly I have yet to see that turn into long-lived success as it typically just devolves into nostalgia baiting and gratuitous fan service.

#11 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 29 March 2024 - 11:35 AM

`While I'm interested what they'll do with the story (Maybe added the new Iron Cheetah that came out during the Clan Invasion era)I personally would love to have the Jihad era game, since the only battletech games to cover it was Mechassault, it be fun to play in that chaotic event leading up the dark ages.

Or beter if they want to focus on the clans what about a campaign during the Golden Age for the clans or operation Klondike, be fun to go play with the early clan battlemechs and omnimechs it's a nice era to play with.

#12 Adam Sandler

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationProudly living in Jade Falcon territory

Posted 29 March 2024 - 11:49 AM

HNNNGH CUTE CLANNER WOMAN HUNNGMMNGNGH

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 12:25 PM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 29 March 2024 - 08:54 AM, said:

The reason for using the Madcat is pretty simple, actually. Posted Image

The MechWarrior 5: Clans demo's menu screen mimics the cover of the Clans BattleTech sourcebook. Check the attached image, please:

Posted Image

You can see five Clanners (three male Clanners and two female Clanners).

Behind them is a giant Madcat Prime.

Orange background with some darker streaks here and there in both cases.

Note that there is a tall tower in the background of the sourcebook's cover art and that there is a tall rock in the same place of the Menu screen's background artwork.

As a long time BattleTech fan, the similarity of both artworks was the first thing that I noticed. Posted Image

#14 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 01:23 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 March 2024 - 12:25 PM, said:

The reason for using the Madcat is pretty simple, actually. Posted Image

The MechWarrior 5: Clans demo's menu screen mimics the cover of the Clans BattleTech sourcebook. Check the attached image, please:

Posted Image

You can see five Clanners (three male Clanners and two female Clanners).

Behind them is a giant Madcat Prime.

Orange background with some darker streaks here and there in both cases.

Note that there is a tall tower in the background of the sourcebook's cover art and that there is a tall rock in the same place of the Menu screen's background artwork.

As a long time BattleTech fan, the similarity of both artworks was the first thing that I noticed. Posted Image

Wow, a very interesting observation and memory. It's very cool and nice that the developers try to celebrate and make references to the classics in everything, the one that the veterans of the series remember :) . And it's not for nothing that the EG7 reports in the MW2 roadmap are taken as a benchmark for creating Clans. Nevertheless, it is very pleasant to realize that we can get a game with the same impressions and emotions that we received earlier playing old games. Veteran mechwarriors will appreciate this and are already celebrating. I believe that PGI will succeed and they have chosen the right path in creating a game with a linear campaign. And thank them for not being afraid to create the first game for the Clans during Operation Rebirth. They make new things anyway, they don't copy, as someone says. Campaigns with a view from the Clans as they saw the events and what was happening around them. It is necessary to break the stereotypes that they are "bad". A bike at Home is no better in many things.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users