Bap + Tag Fails

9 replies to this topic

#1 FIREBAAT

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 04:51 PM

The TAG laser can get locks on stealth armor from outside the ECM cloud; the BAP counters ECMs that are close enough. Shouldn't a BAP equipped mech be able to TAG a stealth from within ECM range? I tried it on an SSRM Flea last night and it didn't seem to work.

Is this intentional?

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 10:14 PM

When a mech has stealth armour active, its ECM can not be countered by any Active Probe or ECM in counter mode. A direct hit with any PPC/Plasma Cannon will disable the ECM shortly, however.

#3 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 02:23 AM

This thread was moved to General Discussion

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,826 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 10 April 2024 - 05:02 AM

A light PPC or plasma cannon remains the best ECM counter.

#5 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 10 April 2024 - 12:02 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 10 April 2024 - 05:02 AM, said:

If you want to hit an ECM mech with a missile then just hit it with a PPC...

If I am hitting it with PPCs then I really don't need the missiles :-)

This is right up their with the story my father told me from his basic training in the late 60s.

Sergeant: If your bayoneted becomes enlodged in your foe fire a round from your rifle to release it.

Recruit: If I have a round in my rifle there aren't going to be any G' damn bayonet fights!

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,826 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 10 April 2024 - 12:17 PM

View PostKen Harkin, on 10 April 2024 - 12:02 PM, said:

Not always. If someone, anyone, is hitting it with PPC's then there's nothing stopping your missile lock. That might not be your PPC doing the work.

But after this next patch you can bet I'll be firing light PPC's into things as I'm drilling them with Thunderbolt missiles. Posted Image

#7 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,974 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 April 2024 - 01:27 PM

if I recall stealth shuts down streaks
nothing electronic cuts through stealth
from my experience

pretty powerful item

edit: streaks allow you to engage more then one target at a time

Edited by Davegt27, 10 April 2024 - 01:28 PM.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,796 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 06:33 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 10 April 2024 - 05:02 AM, said:

a big boy ppc also works.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,796 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 06:41 PM

This is right up their with the story my father told me from his basic training in the late 60s.

Sergeant: If your bayoneted becomes enlodged in your foe fire a round from your rifle to release it.

Recruit: If I have a round in my rifle there aren't going to be any G' damn bayonet fights!

really depends on your build. ppcs kind of cap your dps to whatever your heat sinks can dissipate. you can do considerable work with 3 or 4 ppcs. but missiles can put down more damage for less heat. missiles can do 2-3 times the damage per heat that a ppc.

same thing applies to bayonet fights. guns are fine and all, but if you got a platoon charging your position and you only have time to shoot half of them, you are going to have a bayonet fight whether you are out of ammo or not. more likely they ran out of ammo and that's why they are charging at firing rifles. see the siege of firebase gloria.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 April 2024 - 06:48 PM.

#10 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:28 PM

Sometimes you want to conserve ammo...

And a lppc or plasma are basically required on any serious lrm mech. Plus a tag and/or BAP, at minimum. If you can't disable stealth and ecm by yourself to get your own targets you will be useless for half the match.

View PostLordNothing, on 10 April 2024 - 06:41 PM, said:

really depends on your build. ppcs kind of cap your dps to whatever your heat sinks can dissipate. you can do considerable work with 3 or 4 ppcs. but missiles can put down more damage for less heat. missiles can do 2-3 times the damage per heat that a ppc.

same thing applies to bayonet fights. guns are fine and all, but if you got a platoon charging your position and you only have time to shoot half of them, you are going to have a bayonet fight whether you are out of ammo or not. more likely they ran out of ammo and that's why they are charging at firing rifles. see the siege of firebase gloria.

Only takes an occasional ppc to keep the ECM knocked out. It's ince to have 2 or 3 so you can nail their buddies, in case your target doesn't have the ECM, or if more than one has an ECM. 3 lppc or 3 plasma is what I like to carry if I have the hardpoints. lets you pop off a spread into a group and increases the odds you will hit the one with the ECM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users