Bug Or Cant Runit

27 replies to this topic

#21 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 11:14 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 27 May 2024 - 05:13 AM, said:

Have you tried loading Steam's copy of the MWO package in order to work around this temporarily? Posted Image

I almost get the impression that MWO Portal messed itself up – and rather badly – when you tried going from "1.0.86.2" to "1.0.86.4" in version. Weirdly, it's usually not the upgrade that causes problems, but I guess that insane things can randomly happen. Sounds like I should avoid upgrading mine any time soon. In the meanwhile, you may wish to Contact MWO Support about the matter. Posted Image

EDIT :: By the way, removing the older "MechWarrior Online" App of version "2.0.0.0" will NOT fix things. That entry is from when we all used to have the older StandAlone Launcher program to work with. Attempting to kill it will likely result in damaging your Game Client installation, and triggering a far worse rebuild process. Posted Image

~D. V. "can only suggest using Steam for some MWO-related help to get rolling again" Devnull

IDK how I got two versions of the portal. As for rebuild, would it hurt anything to just uninstall MWO completely (all three apps), and start over? My brain is already starting to hurt, thinking about this stuff.

Going though steam really isn't an option, it will wreck the other games I have in steam.

#22 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 10:36 PM

To uninstall everything and then reinstall sounds like an good idea. Your configs will be gone, but that sounds like no big deal.

P.s.: since U mentioned Win7 u know, that U can still upgrade to win 10 for free?

#23 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 May 2024 - 04:20 AM

kalashnikity,

You can turn off Auto Update on the Steam games, that is how I have mine setup, though through Steam you would have to do it for each game. In the thread below, if you have a TON of games, post 7 offers a route to edit the Appmanifest files + a FOSS program to Find/Replace the info in each file.

https://steamcommuni...09024341132664/

#24 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 04:21 AM

View Postkalashnikity, on 27 May 2024 - 11:14 AM, said:

IDK how I got two versions of the portal. As for rebuild, would it hurt anything to just uninstall MWO completely (all three apps), and start over? My brain is already starting to hurt, thinking about this stuff.

It makes my head hurt as well... Seems like when things go wrong, it always happens in a manner where fixing it is a real nightmare. :blush:

Anywho, I just had to double-check something after seeing 'Tarl Cabot's posting back on the previous page. It seems the "2.0.0.0" item is indeed the PTS thing, as I found another entry further down in mine for a "1.6.0.0" which would be my super-ancient entry that needs to not get touched. My error on that one, sorry... :(

If you're going to rebuild from scratch, I wish you good luck and that everything goes right. (I've thankfully never been forced to rebuild, so I am unable to recommend either way... my usual thing is helping someone fix a problem before the nuclear option happens... Sorry!!!) Make sure to listen to 'Tarl Cabot's posts regarding this mess. Also, make sure to back-up all of the following...
  • Screenshots (no reason to lose those memories of the more noteworthy times)
  • Mech Icons (ending up looking at a smattering of stock images later is not fun)
  • Mech Loadout & Skills Files (avoid losing your personal design work there)
  • Weapon Group Information (resetting all of that would be hell to fix)
  • anything else related to MWO that you built, and must NOT be lost
...because it's a whole lot better to back-up your data, and not regret later about losing something you really wanted and/or needed to have. I believe you can find most of that stuff within the "C:\Users\<<your user ID>>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\" directory area to retrieve for your personal safekeeping? :huh:

View Postkalashnikity, on 27 May 2024 - 11:14 AM, said:

Going though steam really isn't an option, it will wreck the other games I have in steam.

I saw what you said about that. Is there no way in Steam that you can disable Auto-Update for your various games & software which you've acquired through there? I heard rumor that stopping it was possible, but I am unable to confirm that myself as I've not been a Steam user in the past. :o

As it is, I feel like we're all missing something about how to Repair that darned MWO Portal itself... I hate when that creeping feeling like I and/or others missing something is bothering the back of my mind. :wacko:

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 27 May 2024 - 10:36 PM, said:

P.s.: since U mentioned Win7 u know, that U can still upgrade to win 10 for free?

Please re-read the thread... 'kalashnikity' already indicated they are on Win10 currently. And if you're talking to me about that, it happens that my Win7 system is unable to go Win10 without basically being dragged to ground. -_-

~D. V. "Wishes they could have saved 'kalashnikity' from the nuclear option..." Devnull

#25 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 09:38 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 May 2024 - 04:20 AM, said:

kalashnikity,

You can turn off Auto Update on the Steam games, that is how I have mine setup, though through Steam you would have to do it for each game.  In the thread below, if you have a TON of games, post 7 offers a route to edit the Appmanifest files + a FOSS program to Find/Replace the info in each file.

https://steamcommuni...09024341132664/
Thank you. I found the option to "update only when the game is started", that looks like the only easy option. definitely better than the auto-update. I just had to drive to the library today (40 minute round trip!) and update everything because it bricked all my steam games last night, just because I wanted to check the price on buying something so it qued everythign for update. Very frustrating..

#26 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 09:42 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 28 May 2024 - 04:21 AM, said:

It makes my head hurt as well... Seems like when things go wrong, it always happens in a manner where fixing it is a real nightmare. Posted Image

Anywho, I just had to double-check something after seeing 'Tarl Cabot's posting back on the previous page. It seems the "2.0.0.0" item is indeed the PTS thing, as I found another entry further down in mine for a "1.6.0.0" which would be my super-ancient entry that needs to not get touched. My error on that one, sorry... Posted Image

If you're going to rebuild from scratch, I wish you good luck and that everything goes right. (I've thankfully never been forced to rebuild, so I am unable to recommend either way... my usual thing is helping someone fix a problem before the nuclear option happens... Sorry!!!) Make sure to listen to 'Tarl Cabot's posts regarding this mess. Also, make sure to back-up all of the following...
  • Screenshots (no reason to lose those memories of the more noteworthy times)
  • Mech Icons (ending up looking at a smattering of stock images later is not fun)
  • Mech Loadout & Skills Files (avoid losing your personal design work there)
  • Weapon Group Information (resetting all of that would be hell to fix)
  • anything else related to MWO that you built, and must NOT be lost
...because it's a whole lot better to back-up your data, and not regret later about losing something you really wanted and/or needed to have. I believe you can find most of that stuff within the "C:\Users\<<your user ID>>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\" directory area to retrieve for your personal safekeeping? Posted Image

I saw what you said about that. Is there no way in Steam that you can disable Auto-Update for your various games & software which you've acquired through there? I heard rumor that stopping it was possible, but I am unable to confirm that myself as I've not been a Steam user in the past. Posted Image

As it is, I feel like we're all missing something about how to Repair that darned MWO Portal itself... I hate when that creeping feeling like I and/or others missing something is bothering the back of my mind. Posted Image

Please re-read the thread... 'kalashnikity' already indicated they are on Win10 currently. And if you're talking to me about that, it happens that my Win7 system is unable to go Win10 without basically being dragged to ground. Posted Image

~D. V. "Wishes they could have saved 'kalashnikity' from the nuclear option..." Devnull

IDK why, but when I got to the library just now the update ran with no problem.Posted Image :facepalm:

I really need to save a keymap settings file for backup, anybody know which file it is?

#27 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 09:46 AM

I'll make backup copies of those configuration files, but I'd liek to know which one the key map is. that's the hardest thing to rebuild.

well... second hardest, losing all my saved mech builds is nightmare fuel. Posted Image

If this comes up again I'll have backup copies of the config files before I rebuild from scratch..

#28 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 06 June 2024 - 05:57 AM

View Postkalashnikity, on 28 May 2024 - 09:42 AM, said:

IDK why, but when I got to the library just now the update ran with no problem.Posted Image :facepalm:

Glad to hear it... At least you didn't have to reinstall, right? Sounds like your non-library connection method is unable to keep your link stable enough for the MWO Portal's hidden stability requirements. I hope that you'll eventually end up finding a better connection situation in the future, but I'm glad that you're able to stabilize things with the library's help for now! :)

View Postkalashnikity, on 28 May 2024 - 09:42 AM, said:

I really need to save a keymap settings file for backup, anybody know which file it is?

View Postkalashnikity, on 28 May 2024 - 09:46 AM, said:

I'll make backup copies of those configuration files, but I'd liek to know which one the key map is. that's the hardest thing to rebuild.

I went hunting. For you, it's that "actionmaps.xml" file within the "Profiles > kalashnikity" directory space. The long form of that is...
  • C:\Users\<<Your Windows UserID>>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles\<<Your MWO Name>>
...for reference. If you have any additional IDs (which I don't, but am aware of this) on MWO, there will be similar files in the other Profile Names as well. B)

View Postkalashnikity, on 28 May 2024 - 09:46 AM, said:

well... second hardest, losing all my saved mech builds is nightmare fuel. Posted Image

If this comes up again I'll have backup copies of the config files before I rebuild from scratch..

Like my previous posting said... Basically just back up all the stuff in...
  • C:\Users\<<Your Windows UserID>>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online
...so that you can restore anything you wish at will, be it images and/or text data, should the want and/or need arise. Then there will be literally no way you could end up short any of that useful stuff. Heck, get an external drive if you don't have one, in order to simply back up your whole computer... and Good Luck on getting it all safely saved away! :D

~D. V. "at least this person is able to point 'kalashnikity' where the desired files are, if nothing else" Devnull

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users