What Do You Like About The Ebon Jaguar?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Gruyter

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 11:07 PM

Hi, Everyone.

So, I've just been given this Ebon Jaguar as the free 'Mech for May. A lot of people talk about how good the E Jag is.

Would you please tell me why you like it? I don't pretend to know everything, but it seems kind of terrible, in my opinion. It's lighter and flimsier than the Timber Wolf. It doesn't have very much space for heat sinks compared to the Hellbringer, which I already consider a non-competitive 'Mech. And on top of all that, it can't properly move its arms!

Honestly, at this point, I'm thinking "why bother," but lots of people seem to like this 'Mech so I feel like I should at least try to understand why before I sell it and buy something else.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 11:42 PM

View PostGruyter, on 05 May 2024 - 11:07 PM, said:

What Do You Like About The Ebon Jaguar?

Hi, Everyone.

So, I've just been given this Ebon Jaguar as the free 'Mech for May. A lot of people talk about how good the E Jag is.

Would you please tell me why you like it?
Well, I like the cool livery:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't pretend to know everything, but it seems kind of terrible, in my opinion.
I think that the Cauldron-Born is not so bad.

It's lighter and flimsier than the Timber Wolf.
It is also smaller than the Madcat, and it attracts less attention. I think that it tanks damage better.

It doesn't have very much space for heat sinks compared to the Hellbringer, which I already consider a non-competitive 'Mech.
1) Fully stripped Cauldron-Born has 33 empty equipment slots. Fully stripped Loki has 47 empty equipment slots.

However, the Cauldron-Born employs Clan endosteel and Clan ferro-fibrous armor to carry much heavier load of weapons - 28 tons.

On the other hand, the Loki can carry just 23 tons of weapons.

2) Personally I do not think that the Loki is "a non-competitive 'Mech".

Honestly, at this point, I'm thinking "why bother," but lots of people seem to like this 'Mech so I feel like I should at least try to understand why before I sell it and buy something else.
The Cauldron-Born cany run various loadouts: Ballistic, missile, energy or various combos. I suggest that you experiment with various weapons until you find some loadout that suits you.

You said that the Cauldron-Born can not carry so many heat sinks as the Loki. Okay. So use some ballistic or missile loadout that is heavier, but does not need so many heat sinks.

#3 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:26 AM

It fits much more heatsinks than the Hellbringer. Big laservomit builds fit in it much better. But overall its a wide mech with hardpoints all over. Bit underwhelming package imo, but works fine. I prefer Hellbringer for the ECM and torso hardpoints any day.

Edited by Samziel, 06 May 2024 - 12:28 AM.

#4 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 06 May 2024 - 09:23 AM

Have a look at YT vids by the likes of TTB, NGNG, DATA, and Baradul. They've done a number of videos on the EBJ.

TTB put this one up yesterday:

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#5 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 May 2024 - 09:26 AM

i do like the way it looks but i don't play clan mechs. i have tried the Ebon Jag but i have never been able to get it to work for me.

#6 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 196 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 06 May 2024 - 09:55 AM

Problem I have with my new super awesome glowing Jaguar is that he does not want to eat anything else but lasers.

ATM and LRM are not bad, but you can not put many other things with it, maybe if you have those fancy laser + rocket arms from that expensive jaguar. SRM are not enough slots.
Ballistic can be fun, but you are too small and not enough slots, so it feels very week not using other hardpoints. Unless you are using 2x UAC20. Posted Image

Lasers seem the best, you have lot of hardpoints, they are light and dont take much place, combination or ER, medium and large lasers seem to be nice, but very boring. Posted Image

#7 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,891 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 May 2024 - 10:42 AM

What's not to like? Though it may not be JJ or ECM capable, the Ebon can be built with more weapon diversity than just about any other heavy chassis. I know people that have literally dozens of them and they still keep buying more when because they like so many different builds on them. Plus low to the ground and decent mounts near or above CP height makes it a pretty good ridge poker.

#8 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 483 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:51 PM

Ebon Jag is pretty decent all arounder; I run a lasermomit version, an LRM version, and a combo laser/LRM on the hero mech.

Its weaknesses aren't lack of weapons or heatsinks.

I has convergence issues, and there are no ECM, JJ or MASC versions - those are its "issues", its basically a no-frills fighter.

Not a big deal for some players, but it is for others.

My Thunderbolt 10SE with all the fun gadgets feels like a Cadillac compared to the Ebon Jag.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 06 May 2024 - 12:53 PM.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 01:10 PM

its got some good pod options.

#10 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 06 May 2024 - 02:10 PM

I know the build is very much underpowered but I seem to get my best results running the stock omnipods with 2xLPL and 4xERML. Only a 50-point alpha but no bunny ears to get shot off. I can generally get at least ten alphas out before dying and consistent 500-damage drops are fine with me.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 06 May 2024 - 02:13 PM.

#11 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 05:48 PM

Outside of free mech events you don't see that many around.

They have good top speed, but are not very agile. They have vulnerable geometry and tend to die or get crippled rather quickly - with very visible and distinct arms and an "airplane" CT which is easily targetable from most angles even the sides.They have the advantage in that they are small and usually people won't prioritize them. Probably their biggest strength is hardpoint and omnipod diversity. You can make them into anything you want. There's also the high mounted hardpoint on the shoulder.

Overall its mediocre at best. When I see an Ebon Jaguar I don't think "o sh*t" I think free damage. They're just not very threatening.Having said that you can make almost any mech in MWO work if you play and equip it right. There's no particular reason to play an Ejag though unless you like the chassis specifically or have nothing else to run.

Edited by RockmachinE, 06 May 2024 - 05:52 PM.

#12 LapisMaddog

• PipPip
  • Cadet
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 06:35 PM

Hi, Everyone.

Would you please tell me why you like it? I don't pretend to know everything, but it seems kind of terrible, in my opinion. It's lighter and flimsier than the Timber Wolf. It doesn't have very much space for heat sinks compared to the Hellbringer, which I already consider a non-competitive 'Mech. And on top of all that, it can't properly move its arms!

Ebon Jaguar is a viable lasvom/hagvom mech, comparing it to the Mad Cat is a unfair cause the Mad Cat is the strongest clan lasvom heavy though Ebon Jaguar can run hagvom the Mad Cat can't and the Hellbringer is a very good mech as well it is less tanky then madcat but it has higher mounts so it hill peeks better and the hero variant's range quirk make it a very strong 4 erll max tc trader that is even used in comp

Edited by LapisMaddog, 06 May 2024 - 06:36 PM.

#13 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,021 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 06 May 2024 - 06:43 PM

Hi, Everyone.

Wish it was a little more like it's namesake Cauldron-born as far as being durable enough to be called a zombie.

Edited by KursedVixen, 06 May 2024 - 06:44 PM.

#14 BLXKNTRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 07:24 PM

It looks amazing

It's an excellent mech for tonnage;

Its versatile, being a fast Omni mech

Whats not to like?

Cant think of anything really

Coming from playing black knights mostly, the ebon Jaguar feels like home- but smaller

#15 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 08:46 PM

It does two builds really well for me, the Large laser build is great, you can fit plenty of heat sinks to make it run cool. The high mount energy torso is a real bonus. IIRC I put 5 ERLL on it and packed it full of heat sinks.

The other build that worked for me is a 2x HAG20 with 3x medium lasers for backup I put the Hags on the right side. It's a challenge to fit it all, and you have to shave the left arm, but it packs a punch.

It's a solid mech.

#16 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 02:44 AM

High mounted energy slots, low profile. Fancy paint job and it can hold so much spaghetti.

#17 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 07:44 PM

Low profile, and the high mounted weapons are good for peak and shoot. Other than than there isnt much to it, i load mine for a support role for the most part, a couple of LRM20s and ERmls.

#18 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 08:06 PM

Hi, Everyone.

Dude don't overthink it, there are plenty of mech to love and plenty of mechs to hate, and plenty people to disagree about which warrant one or the other.

Thay being said ,there are plenty of mech I initially hated, and ended up having fun with them and now I like them.

I think the timberwolf for example , it's pretty bad, it's always has, but it is so iconic, I have 6 variants. Try to do something different with each, and end up having fun somehow.

Edited by simon1812, 11 May 2024 - 05:58 AM.

#19 Gruyter

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 05:13 PM

Are the high mounted guns an asset or a liability? I thought they would be considered a liability, because they give you more area to be shot.

#20 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 07:58 PM

View PostGruyter, on 08 May 2024 - 05:13 PM, said:

Are the high mounted guns an asset or a liability? I thought they would be considered a liability, because they give you more area to be shot.

-it's all about the element of surprise, but yes, a down side would be that the high mounts stand out a bit, an observant enemy will aim for them. in my experience though, flanking tactics work best , you can peek, shoot, hide again , and they wont be sure where the threat is coming from, most mechs can't do that as efficiently as an Ebon J would.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users