Vindicator

20 replies to this topic

#1 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 27 April 2024 - 01:43 AM

I picked up the premium one, and I'm kind of regretting wasting my money on it. It's just too big, too squishy, and has low mounts if you want to try and use the laser duration quirk. As a entire mech class it seems a little ridiculous it's so large and has so few armor quirks. I'd say its up there with the Black Knight for a rescale or a buff.

edit: I'm referring to the St. Ives

Edited by Pixel Hunter, 28 April 2024 - 12:02 PM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,835 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 27 April 2024 - 04:52 AM

The quirk pass in the past couple years has been very good for the Vindicator… they have better armor quirks than many heavy mechs and an impressive set of weapon and jump jet quirks.

#3 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,214 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 27 April 2024 - 04:55 AM

Its armor quirks are huge, actually, but it's got too many things going against it in the current game state. Average match weight forces 45 tons to find a role that a trooper design like the Vindicator can't really carry. Not fast, not suited for boating metas, not a peeker. There may be a niche for the 1AA with new jump jet quirks, though that doesn't help you if you're talking about the St. Ives. Otherwise -- it's more about the game and its narrow optimal choices than a particular disfavored 'Mech, in which case if you're looking for a challenge or distinction, you could stick with it.

#4 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 27 April 2024 - 05:24 AM

It was one of mechs I was planning to get from event. Try this. Posted Image
(Or this if you want more speed and jumps)

Edited by torsie, 27 April 2024 - 05:30 AM.

#5 MarcinT1981

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 April 2024 - 05:54 AM

vnd-1sib

#6 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 06:09 AM

View PostPixel Hunter, on 27 April 2024 - 01:43 AM, said:

I picked up the premium one, and I'm kind of regretting wasting my money on it. It's just too big, too squishy, and has low mounts if you want to try and use the laser duration quirk. As a entire mech class it seems a little ridiculous it's so large and has so few armor quirks. I'd say its up there with the Black Knight for a rescale or a buff.
And what was your reason for picking this particular 'Mech?

#7 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,543 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 27 April 2024 - 11:56 AM

Vindicator suffers from not being spindly like it 40 ton cousins, but compared to the Pixie, is about on par. That said, it got armor buffs recently which do help.
The Heavy PPC poptart is always a solid mech. I need to try the ERPPC poptart with the new velocity. With the buffs to LACs, this should be a fairly solid build now: 3 LAC5 + LPPC though if you need to brawl this weird abomination is still probably the most meta build the Vindi has to offer: All the DPS

The 1SIB can do traditional missile vomit builds while the 1R is best suited to some laser vomit build. They aren't the best mechs but after the last quirk pass are in a much better place.

#8 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 10:52 PM

It's not a great mech. I play it when I want to be actually working a bit to not totally potato. That said, it's workable, and the quirk passes have ben very kind to it.

Here are some non-potato options for you: https://grimmechs.is...=mechname&s=vin

#9 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 12:01 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 27 April 2024 - 04:55 AM, said:

though that doesn't help you if you're talking about the St. Ives. Otherwise -- it's more about the game and its narrow optimal choices than a particular disfavored 'Mech, in which case if you're looking for a challenge or distinction, you could stick with it.

yeah I'm talking about the St. Ives, seems like a really poor mech in the state it's in. If it also had better missile quirks I think it would be just fine. The laser quirks are ridiculous sure (.46 second ERLL duration), but the low mounts make it still kind of so-so

#10 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lumberjack
  • The Lumberjack
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 01:18 PM

Seems to me that the St.Ives is best played as an MRM poptarter with some medium lasers as late-game and/or finisher weapons.

#11 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,543 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 28 April 2024 - 03:27 PM

View PostPixel Hunter, on 28 April 2024 - 12:01 PM, said:

yeah I'm talking about the St. Ives, seems like a really poor mech in the state it's in. If it also had better missile quirks I think it would be just fine. The laser quirks are ridiculous sure (.46 second ERLL duration), but the low mounts make it still kind of so-so

The duration quirks are a trap of old. MRM/SRM boat is the your best bet now that it got its third missile hardpoint. Typically I run an LFE because an XL can be a liability in the brawl, just gotta shield with your dead side.

#12 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 11:24 AM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 28 April 2024 - 03:27 PM, said:

The duration quirks are a trap of old. MRM/SRM boat is the your best bet now that it got its third missile hardpoint. Typically I run an LFE because an XL can be a liability in the brawl, just gotta shield with your dead side.

I'm running it as a 3x thunderbolt 5 with 2 ML's in the arms and a tag. It's alright but you're not gonna out alpha or out DPS anyone. If you're forgotten about and have time to shoot it's conceivable to put down a 400-500 damage match but the second you make someone mad and get focused down it's bad for you (especially since you're a big mech). It's definitely one of those mechs where you need to hope there are a few "meta" lynchpin mechs to do the heavy lifting. Thunderbolts Seem really close to being good, I think Baradul was right to say maybe cooldown needs to be looked at. For such a weight/damage tradeoff Thunderbolts just feel like slightly worse ATM's in every way.

Edited by Pixel Hunter, 29 April 2024 - 11:26 AM.

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 12:24 PM

View PostPixel Hunter, on 29 April 2024 - 11:24 AM, said:

I'm running it as a 3x thunderbolt 5 with 2 ML's in the arms and a tag. It's alright but you're not gonna out alpha or out DPS anyone. If you're forgotten about and have time to shoot it's conceivable to put down a 400-500 damage match but the second you make someone mad and get focused down it's bad for you (especially since you're a big mech). It's definitely one of those mechs where you need to hope there are a few "meta" lynchpin mechs to do the heavy lifting. Thunderbolts Seem really close to being good, I think Baradul was right to say maybe cooldown needs to be looked at. For such a weight/damage tradeoff Thunderbolts just feel like slightly worse ATM's in every way.
I think that MRMs would be probably a better choice than TBMs, at least for now.

#14 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 02:57 PM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 27 April 2024 - 11:56 AM, said:

Vindicator suffers from not being spindly like it 40 ton cousins, but compared to the Pixie, is about on par. That said, it got armor buffs recently which do help.
The Heavy PPC poptart is always a solid mech. I need to try the ERPPC poptart with the new velocity. With the buffs to LACs, this should be a fairly solid build now: 3 LAC5 + LPPC though if you need to brawl this weird abomination is still probably the most meta build the Vindi has to offer: All the DPS

The 1SIB can do traditional missile vomit builds while the 1R is best suited to some laser vomit build. They aren't the best mechs but after the last quirk pass are in a much better place.

Oooo I was just making its a tiny summoner or jamming an mrm40 in it. These should be fun build ideas

Edited by Alex Morgaine, 29 April 2024 - 02:57 PM.

#15 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 06:25 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 April 2024 - 12:24 PM, said:

I think that MRMs would be probably a better choice than TBMs, at least for now.

yeah, I'm aware of that, basically any missile system is better than the bolts right now, I guess im playing it because its a challenge. That being said, I still think the Ives needs more missile buffs 10% aint cutting it in modern MWO power creep

Edited by Pixel Hunter, 29 April 2024 - 09:04 PM.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 10:12 PM

View PostPixel Hunter, on 29 April 2024 - 06:25 PM, said:

yeah, I'm aware of that, basically any missile system is better than the bolts right now, I guess im playing it because its a challenge. That being said, I still think the Ives needs more missile buffs 10% aint cutting it in modern MWO power creep
There are some MWO 'Mechs that would be grateful for that 10%.

#17 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 05:10 AM

View PostPixel Hunter, on 29 April 2024 - 06:25 PM, said:

That being said, I still think the Ives needs more missile buffs 10% aint cutting it in modern MWO power creep

Yeah, let's fix power creep by adding more power creep.

Edited by Gasboy, 30 April 2024 - 05:11 AM.

#18 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 07:48 AM

View PostGasboy, on 30 April 2024 - 05:10 AM, said:

Yeah, let's fix power creep by adding more power creep.
Power creep is nothing new in MechWarrior Online (especially when it comes to some Hero or Legendary 'Mechs).

#19 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 07:57 AM

View Postmartian, on 30 April 2024 - 07:48 AM, said:

Power creep is nothing new in MechWarrior Online (especially when it comes to some Hero or Legendary 'Mechs).

I've been around since the beginning. I've also played many other games. I know power creep is a thing that exists.

But you don't fix power creep by adding more of it to the game.

#20 Felbombling

• 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 April 2024 - 02:03 PM

The left arm and hand look so [expletive deleted] stupid, I can't bring myself to play the one Vindicator I own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users