Mwo Should Display Its Own Active Playercounts

4 replies to this topic

#1 BloodMamba

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 06:02 PM

I've had this game on my radar since circa 2017, and could have been playing it since back then. but haven't. The popular and usually decently reliable website Steamcharts repeatedly gave me and others Ive known the impression that MWO was a low playercount game, where it would potentially be difficult to consistently get games. We and likely many like us assumed it wasnt worth it to start a new complex MMO type game that might not be around much longer.

The caveat is that MWO runs through its own launcher through steam, the launcher also being available to download separately on its own website as well. Until a different group of friends assured me that the game was lively and playable roughly a year ago, I hadnt touched what I am now healthily addicted to. A massive missed opportunity for me and probably many other mech enthusiasts.

Since the playerbase of MWO is in actuality much larger than the trackable steam userbase alone, MWO developers should display the games playercounts, in some way or form, on both the main MWO website and especially, specifically, the games steam store page, to reassure new players they will indeed be downloading a readily playable, reliable, ongoing multiplayer game. Without it this small thing could be hurting the reputation and liveliness of a game I now care for very much.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,871 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 10 May 2024 - 07:09 PM

View PostBloodMamba, on 10 May 2024 - 06:02 PM, said:

I've had this game on my radar since circa 2017, and could have been playing it since back then. but haven't. The popular and usually decently reliable website Steamcharts repeatedly gave me and others Ive known the impression that MWO was a low playercount game, where it would potentially be difficult to consistently get games. We and likely many like us assumed it wasnt worth it to start a new complex MMO type game that might not be around much longer.

The caveat is that MWO runs through its own launcher through steam, the launcher also being available to download separately on its own website as well. Until a different group of friends assured me that the game was lively and playable roughly a year ago, I hadnt touched what I am now healthily addicted to. A massive missed opportunity for me and probably many other mech enthusiasts.

Since the playerbase of MWO is in actuality much larger than the trackable steam userbase alone, MWO developers should display the games playercounts, in some way or form, on both the main MWO website and especially, specifically, the games steam store page, to reassure new players they will indeed be downloading a readily playable, reliable, ongoing multiplayer game. Without it this small thing could be hurting the reputation and liveliness of a game I now care for very much.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

Database last modified: 01 May 2024
Current active players: 26,890
Current retired players: 342,352

#3 BloodMamba

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2024 - 03:06 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 10 May 2024 - 07:09 PM, said:

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

Database last modified: 01 May 2024
Current active players: 26,890
Current retired players: 342,352

This is all well and good. Yet this reinforces what I am trying to say. The website you present is known to those who are already deeply wrapped up in the MWO community. Many gamers who are steam centric would have passed up getting into the game because the playercount tracking sources >that they knew of< gave them the impression the game was dead. People who did not grow up with the franchise, but discovered it later.

Steamcharts is a go-to method for testing the game's concurrent popularity. Right now Steamcharts says only 375 people are playing MWO. This is damaging business and playerbase, because they are put off by these half-true metrics. Steamcharts cannot track the larger amount of people who are playing through the game's launcher without Steam. New people who dont know they love Mechwarrior yet wont know about the leaderboard websites you just showed me.

#4 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 11 May 2024 - 03:24 PM

View PostBloodMamba, on 11 May 2024 - 03:06 AM, said:

This is all well and good. Yet this reinforces what I am trying to say. The website you present is known to those who are already deeply wrapped up in the MWO community. Many gamers who are steam centric would have passed up getting into the game because the playercount tracking sources >that they knew of< gave them the impression the game was dead. People who did not grow up with the franchise, but discovered it later.

Steamcharts is a go-to method for testing the game's concurrent popularity. Right now Steamcharts says only 375 people are playing MWO. This is damaging business and playerbase, because they are put off by these half-true metrics. Steamcharts cannot track the larger amount of people who are playing through the game's launcher without Steam. New people who dont know they love Mechwarrior yet wont know about the leaderboard websites you just showed me.
alot of things are hidden from players that shouldn't be.

#5 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 07:09 AM

that's strange...when Im curious about a game I just read reviews and then give it a try to see if I like it. I remember I wanted to try this mech when it came out but my machine wasn't up for it though. then about 2 yr ago I was remined this game exists.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users