Continue To Get Shot Thru Objects

9 replies to this topic

#1 Charismatic Enigma

• PipPip
  • The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 05:15 PM

Not sure what gives but it seems like I am constantly getting shot thru objects on multiple maps I recently upgraded my Internet to Cox panoramic wifi and I am using ethernet connection so I have 120 down and 20 up so I would think lag is not a problem? Other players have also witnessed this multiple times as well, after I noticed it or brought it to my attention I am about ready to uninstal for good as I thought surely decent broadband would at least allow me to even the playing field I'd be interested in any suggestions to possibly resolve this if it can be otherwise I'mgonna have to say adios muchachos

#2 LapisMaddog

• PipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:35 PM

View PostCharismatic Enigma, on 24 May 2024 - 05:15 PM, said:

Not sure what gives but it seems like I am constantly getting shot thru objects on multiple maps I recently upgraded my Internet to Cox panoramic wifi and I am using ethernet connection so I have 120 down and 20 up so I would think lag is not a problem? Other players have also witnessed this multiple times as well, after I noticed it or brought it to my attention I am about ready to uninstal for good as I thought surely decent broadband would at least allow me to even the playing field I'd be interested in any suggestions to possibly resolve this if it can be otherwise I'mgonna have to say adios muchachos

What type of objects? if its just trees, fences, lamp posts, bushes etc then it happens all the time most of them have no hitbox afaik, if its mechs then its probably just ping issues with the other players. Or if its buildings/terrain at distance like 600m+ then it displays a low poly version of the object which is often inaccurate, the best way to tell is if you post a video of a match where it happens.

#3 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 486 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 25 May 2024 - 10:17 AM

Another possibility comes to mind. I recall when I used to play back in 2016, places like map tourmaline, you could see through the structures and wreckage, but if you tried to fire through the gaps in the wreckage, you could not hit because the hit boxes of all the structures were solid planes, even where graphics showed large gaps and views to enemy on other side. So if you saw, for example a grill of pipes you might see your enemy on the other side, but we learned that didn't matter back then as all the lasers could and would focus on the "plane" of the structure, rather than on the mech behind the structure - as such CONVERGENCE made sure that none of those lasers carried on even if there was a pretty big gap even in the structure. All the lasers on arms and torso all would be jumping to a focus point that seemed to be over your target ... and even at a point that showed a gap, but that focus point was say clearly at 75m by your range finder which was the distance to the structure/debris, rather than on the enemy mech who was 50m on the other side of the wreckage/debris.

Now a days I'm seeing that the "invisible" walls have more holes in them, even at range. But it still can happen that everything you're thinking is hitting the aim point on your reticle, is instead focused on a point closer to you on the debris in front of your target and not at all able to pass through the hole/gap in wreckage that you are seeing through.

The flip side of this is also that people - your enemies... can use cover and have learned how to fire and target the other side of the cover where you are hiding, rather than their lasers and shots targetting the debris pipes between you. Whether it's because of changes and cleaner object/debris hitboxes plus learning how to position to fire through and aim through properly, or a matter of your internet connection...I cannot really say.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 25 May 2024 - 10:46 AM.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,662 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 May 2024 - 04:39 PM

What really matters the most is ping. Not just yours, but the other players relative to yours. Because of Host State Rewind, it is possible to get hit as you're running into cover, if the other player has a high ping and, from their pov, you were still exposed when they shot, the game will take the math into account and deal damage. From your pov, it would be a delayed hit. But this should be more of an edge case. I'm guessing you're describing being shot behind obvious cover. For those kinds of things, remember your mech is larger than your cockpit, so a part of you might be sticking out that you aren't aware of. Also keep in mind that it's quite easy to be shot from all kinds of angles, so the fire might be coming from a different enemy than you are thinking of, and not through cover. And lastly, some objects are not so solid as they appear. If you want to test hit registration, you can do it with a laser weapon or TAG in the testing grounds. The collision in this game is a separate layer from the physical world (as far as objects go--the ground terrain seems to be treated as solid already) and it doesn't match up perfectly. It is unfortunately an old game engine.

#5 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 May 2024 - 08:22 PM

it could also be that just a sliver of your mech is showing somewhere. i have gotten more than a few hits on mechs that thought they were in cover but some part of the mech (literally just a tiny sliver) was showing enough to hit it. its happened to me as well. btw. sometimes the cover is shorter than you think or your mech taller (especially those mechs that have stuff above the cockpit lvl)

#6 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 03:42 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 25 May 2024 - 08:22 PM, said:

it could also be that just a sliver of your mech is showing somewhere. i have gotten more than a few hits on mechs that thought they were in cover but some part of the mech (literally just a tiny sliver) was showing enough to hit it. its happened to me as well. btw. sometimes the cover is shorter than you think or your mech taller (especially those mechs that have stuff above the cockpit lvl)
Especially true when piloting 'Mechs such as JagerMech or Archer ... Posted Image

#7 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 06:12 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 25 May 2024 - 08:22 PM, said:

Yeah, one of those times where half your weaponry is slamming into a cliffside but the other half is getting hits and you're just sighing about the waste of ammo. XD

#8 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 May 2024 - 10:04 PM

meh, ammo not expended is damage not done

#9 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 06:35 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 29 May 2024 - 10:04 PM, said:

meh, ammo not expended is damage not done

Same goes for ammo hitting rocks and cliffsides.

#10 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 May 2024 - 05:01 AM

you just have to make sure you carry enough ammo. over the years i have noticed that many ammo dependent meta builds go a little light on the ammo in exchange for more up front alpha but often spend a good portion of the match useless because they ran early. (honestly though if all i have to fire at is a sliver i rarely use an ammo weapon on that. thats what lasers are for.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users