Jester, Butterbee Or Ferroblast

11 replies to this topic

#1 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 09:49 PM

Which one would be better for a new player?

Edited by martian, 14 June 2024 - 02:30 AM.

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 10:01 PM

Not sure there's one by default, depends on what they want. Butterbee is made for MRMs, Jester for energy weapons. Jester has a funny paint scheme.
I personally don't like MRMs and like purple, so Jester all the way.

PS: being hitscan, lasers are probably better for a new player.

#3 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 14 June 2024 - 02:52 AM

as far as usability Jester, but overall i think the ferroblast is a good choice for a new player willing to spend a little as the legend pass gives the player some extra benifits.

#4 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 June 2024 - 03:17 AM

Butterbee is kinda meh. Jester is okay. Ferroblast with the battlepass is I think a good buy, since the pass will give the newbie $15 worth of MC already - making the mech and everything else a bonus.

#5 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 06:52 AM

View PostHorseman, on 14 June 2024 - 03:17 AM, said:

Ferroblast with the battlepass is I think a good buy, since the pass will give the newbie $15 worth of MC already - making the mech and everything else a bonus.

Yep I think it's the best value.
But we still don't know if the Ferroblast will be noob-friendly ; it looks like a pretty niche mech for it's weight bracket, maybe it won't be for everyone. That being said, if your new player enjoys fast mechs, I think it's the good choice.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,983 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 June 2024 - 10:38 AM

View Postepikt, on 14 June 2024 - 06:52 AM, said:

Yep I think it's the best value.
But we still don't know if the Ferroblast will be noob-friendly ; it looks like a pretty niche mech for it's weight bracket, maybe it won't be for everyone. That being said, if your new player enjoys fast mechs, I think it's the good choice.

It should be. After all, you can just downgrade the engine and use it for dakka if you don't like the top speed quirk - but man, that's a heavy that can keep up with Clan combat Lights. It looks interesting.

#7 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 336 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 29 June 2024 - 10:44 AM

View PostHorseman, on 14 June 2024 - 03:17 AM, said:

Butterbee is kinda meh. Jester is okay. Ferroblast with the battlepass is I think a good buy, since the pass will give the newbie $15 worth of MC already - making the mech and everything else a bonus.

Following up on this- I definitely think that Ferro is the friendliest for a new player. I opted to go with 2xRAC5s so I had to reduce the engine size. It tanks decently and the speed is great (caps at 122 KPH for this build), however, speed can also be a liability when getting yourself out of position without support. Especially since the MASC needs to recharge.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,983 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 June 2024 - 11:15 AM

Plug in some LMGs, too. It's scatter damage, but it's 25 dps in scatter damage. You're fast enough to catch people like Mediums that you can brute-force kill at close enough range.

#9 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 June 2024 - 03:42 AM

View Postepikt, on 14 June 2024 - 06:52 AM, said:

But we still don't know if the Ferroblast will be noob-friendly

Considering a new player starts in tier 5 where both aiming and situational awareness are very weak any of them should be fine. It's when you break into tier 3 and start to face good players that the finer points of use will come into play.

#10 Stewbawl

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 11:26 AM

all three mechs can be used well.

i feel that of the three the Feroblast is the most niche, and therefore the least new player friendly. it has a fairly specific use and with the mask/turbo built in you have less weight to play with to try different builds. the benefits of buying the legendary are nice with all of the rewards.

the jester is a bit less restrictive in this way also adding the allowance for jump jets. it is limited to energy weapons only though.

of the three i feel like the Butterbee is the best call for a new player. you have the ability as a new player to test out not just different types of energy weapons, but also different types of missiles, testing out each type and the various combinations. it's not going to be as strong in some roles as others, but those roles can at least be tried.

#11 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 17 July 2024 - 01:31 AM

if you are paying real cash (so a Legendary) i think there are better choices than the Catapult that give more variability in builds. for MC it depends the Butterbee makes a nasty MRM splat boat and the Jester is good for all kinds of laser builds with the dual AMS being a nice addition (Locking missiles do seem to be far more common in the lower tiers, though most folks tend to forget the AMS works against ALL missile types not just LRMs).

like with all mech choices it all depends on what one is looking for. honestly for new players i would suggest not going with any MC mechs and stick with C-bill mechs till you have had time to accumulate some mech bays. there are some really good C-bill Catapults that can do the same or at least close builds and not cost you real money or precious MC (the C4 is a particular favorite of mine, then again i am a dirty Lurmer and proud of it. though the C1 might be better for new players as it has 4 energy in addition to its missile points so more room for experimentation.). if you want to spend real cash then yeah Legendaries might be worth it given the whole battlepass thing (even if i personally think they are WAY overpriced).

(actually i think the Catapult-C4 was the second mech i ever got in MWO. i think the first was the Blackjack-3 but it might be reversed i can't remember as that was many many moons ago)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 17 July 2024 - 01:35 AM.

#12 Not Him

• Pip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2024 - 12:27 AM

it really depends on who appears and on what map.
especially for capture bases the speed boost will help capture enemy base.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users