Siege Mode Balance

Balance

14 replies to this topic

#1 Whisena

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:01 AM

I think clan side probably has like 10% win rate in siege mode. Sure you can argue you can win if you work together, but that's not the point, the odds are stacked against clan side since IS has shorter travel distance to front line and all they need is to sit and camp one spot. No one likes to spend 30 mins losing even for event sake, give clan side at least like free artillery or airstrike to even out the odds a bit. Or maybe balance out the reward a bit since clan side are pretty much volunteers to be target practice so IS side, that is why you have huge player count difference on two side.

Edited by Whisena, 19 June 2024 - 09:03 AM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:34 AM

View PostWhisena, on 19 June 2024 - 09:01 AM, said:

I think clan side probably has like 10% win rate in siege mode. Sure you can argue you can win if you work together, but that's not the point, the odds are stacked against clan side since IS has shorter travel distance to front line and all they need is to sit and camp one spot. No one likes to spend 30 mins losing even for event sake, give clan side at least like free artillery or airstrike to even out the odds a bit. Or maybe balance out the reward a bit since clan side are pretty much volunteers to be target practice so IS side, that is why you have huge player count difference on two side.

I am sorry to say that, but just yesterday I played some games where the Clans were defending very successfully and the IS was attacking in the Siege mode.

#3 Seiys

Rookie

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 10:32 AM

It's not about Clan or Inner and more about defense vs offense game objectives.
Defense simply has way more going for it and not just from players.
Such Advantages Include:
-Additional damage factor in the form of turrets. <These have actually killed plenty of players themselves and reduce armor points for defense players to capitalize on.
-Additional armor factor in the form of turrets, objectives, gate generators, etc. <These soak up attention, time, and ammo.
-Invulnerable armor protection (including gates and walls) around objectives. <One guaranteed tactic to victory on defense team is to park your Atlas (or other tall mech) right in front of that little window that the enemy HAS to shoot into in order to hit the objective/s. I did that several times and completely blocked enemy shots from getting through.
-A timer that if reaching zero, Defense automatically wins.
-High ground advantage in many locations of the defending areas on maps. <As assault, you have to push through while defenders take up advantageous positions in expectation for you to arrive.

Assault Team Advantages:
-You have 2 or 3 means to enter the enemy base.
-Defense will be spread out to cover a large area to defend all objectives at once.
-Objectives can (potentially) be destroyed quickly with adequate DPS.
-Your primary target/s are stationary.

Through 12 games (because the first 2 were bugged) my experience was 2 assault team victories simply because my team focused entirely on objectives in 2 waves. <We grouped up, ignored enemy mechs and destroyed the first two objectives; then we all died. Second drop, we did it again and the enemy couldn't stop us. Finished one game with 13 minutes left.

Without that coordination on the other 6 assault/defense games, we barely made it past the gates as everyone was trying to take out the enemy.

Not sure how to balance this as defense is already going to naturally have an advantage, but if you are on the assault side, your best bet is to simply run in, destroy objectives, and completely ignore the enemy mechs which makes for a mediocre game.

#4 Whisena

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 10:52 AM

Ya, my mistake, for some reason I thought clan can only get attacker role since I get 7 games as attacker back to back and then finally 1 game as defender. Still, people who get attacker side is not going to have a good time.

Edited by Whisena, 19 June 2024 - 10:52 AM.

#5 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 256 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 19 June 2024 - 11:02 AM

Siege is fun, I like attack more than defend, but it has really bad balance.Posted Image

Defending is much easier, I think, if you are on attack and you do not get inside on first attack, there is usually nothing you can do and sit there waiting for timer or enemy team to clear you out. Posted Image

And if there is good team attacking, they can end super fast, so whole big siege map just turns into QP skirmish.

And some maps are just horrible. Posted Image

But it is still more fun than QP, even if you lose, there is more mechs to shoot! Posted Image

View PostWhisena, on 19 June 2024 - 10:52 AM, said:

Ya, my mistake, for some reason I thought clan can only get attacker role since I get 7 games as attacker back to back and then finally 1 game as defender. Still, people who get attacker side is not going to have a good time.

You can see what modes are active for faction play, on that right side under Launch button and player count, it changes every, hmmm I do not know, 12 hours?, and if you defend once, then you usually defend whole cycle until it changes.
Yesterday I think, or day before that, was only siege mode half day, so attackers had loss after loss ... lot angry people on forum. Posted Image
PS: I even showed it in my video.

Edited by torsie, 19 June 2024 - 11:04 AM.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,999 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 June 2024 - 03:30 PM

I still have flashbacks to Faction Warfare with on-release Clans... Boreal Vault was the worst. You throttle through that central choke point, and pick a side to scurry after cover, dealing with any opportunistic campers trying to hide while you go past. Meanwhile, across the entire horizon...BEHOLD: The Clanner Skyline Laser Rave. Blue lasers and Gauss Rifles, just standing in the open well out of effective range. These days, I don't think there's enough of a firepower/range differential between optimized Clan and IS builds to be as decisive, but take it from me, for the Inner Sphere, it was rough.

I definitely feel your pain as attackers in Faction Play.

#7 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:04 PM

Defend in pug is easier, since u need less coordination. Between proper teams it is far better balanced, but still favours defender unless attacker goes for no fun pve rush.

But, most people loose far earlier. Do your prep work. Don't reinforce ( defender and attacker U want to die, wave bye wave). Especially attacker u need to get rid of your mech and die with your team. Otherwise U loose to much time and win nothing if U are the guy with two mechs vs 12. Bring proper deck of 4 fully, skilled mechs. Drop heaviest mech first. Don't get to slow in 2nd later wave (typical IS fault, King crab wave 4...). If U die meet up relatively close to the spawn. Otherwise U will get killed/DMG bye suicide former wave without any reason. Listen to the DC (even if first wave goes south). With all the tonnage and turrets first wave is often the hardest, but if 4 on your team decide to be tactical genius and do flanking X U are rly doomed. Delete everything, but an one gate attack out of your mind for the first 100 drops. Then think about it and forget for another 500, since unless u are in an skilled team your players will miss the required skill set. Bring two strikes where ever possible!
Teaming up with friends is more fun and gets u prio in mm.

U must have an extreme range drop deck, fully quirked, skill tree and perhaps TC! Leave clag at home.

Personally I would suggest using the time to learn proper trading instead of just going over if u loose.

Do this and score 1k + every match and your chances of winning increase drastically.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 19 June 2024 - 09:11 PM.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,999 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 June 2024 - 11:12 PM

What's "clag?" =]

#9 Heat Skink

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 133 posts
  • LocationIn your mech eating heat sinks

Posted 20 June 2024 - 04:15 AM

View PostWhisena, on 19 June 2024 - 10:52 AM, said:

Well IS is better at closer ranges due to how their weapons function especially big ballstics. Clans are better at range.

Edited by Heat Skink, 20 June 2024 - 04:27 AM.

#10 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 09:16 AM

pgi... finally event and now no siege mode... u had one job

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,999 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 June 2024 - 09:27 AM

Generally; but it's not weapons function so much as heat and range - and taken along with their heat sinks, Clan weapons are better. 'Mechs like the Executioner can put out amazing firepower (20+ dps) at knife range, and Clan dakka builds compensate for their sometimes longer burst durations by being lighter and more compact.

In Faction Warfare maps, there are always areas where midrange 'mechs can fight, particularly around the generators - when I was active in that mode, it was a contest to see who could maneuver better to get their preferred engagement style - and since even today the Clans tend to be faster with any given weapons loadout, it could be tough. With the vastly expanded weapons of today, I'd expect it to be a lot more even.

#12 tee5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 10:15 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 June 2024 - 11:12 PM, said:

What's "clag?" =]

clag = lurms

but I don't know who brought it up.

#13 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,999 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 June 2024 - 10:35 AM

That's... inexplicable. Thanks!

#14 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 June 2024 - 11:06 AM

I've played FP for a better part of my eight years in this game.
The issue you're running into is that you can't really just shoot meks blindly and expect it to work. Communication, teamwork and - more importantly - optimized mech loadouts and drop decks are critical to prosper in that mode. Unfortunately, a good chunk of the remaining playerbase treats FP as little more than another version of Quick Play - some so unfamiliar with its mechanics that they exit matches after losing their first mech... repeatedly (I swear there's a guy I've seen doing this two years ago and he's still doing it now)

#15 -K H A N

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 July 2024 - 12:23 PM

I dunno. Have you tried playing more than 6 games of FP ? Maybe before typing you should actually try and understand what you dont understand. Maybe learn abit about how the game mode work. And as for the whole clans op IS needs buffs. Total nonsense,neither are superior, just the pilots make the difference now.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users