Point Of Cbills Now?

69 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 June 2024 - 04:18 PM

So here's a thought, why?

What is the point of C-Bill walling necessary parts of the mechs? Why upgrades cost money? Why do weapons, ammunition? Mech ownership is limited by MC as well, so why do mechs even have a price? etc.

I mean, ultimately the game is about PVP, and people go after certain builds, and those equipment doesn't have to be rebought. I think that it might be slightly for the grind, but at this point the old players have so much stuff it becomes trivial, and is just a difficulty for the newbies, and the one-off upgrades/downgrades are just going to be limited by not being able to experiment taking off or on the FFA/DHS/Endo.

Here's a small experiment, why not half-off at EVERY CBILL purchase. Let's see what happens.

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 19 June 2024 - 04:39 PM

The system was initially formed to limit progression because there was not a huge selection of mechs and to 'entice' buying mc and premium time. Now that they hand out all of that like candy during events much of the cost system needs a rework. Changing between things like single and double sinks or armor types shouldn't be a huge cost. At this point in the game there needs to a removal of barriers that limit progression so we can keep more new players.

#3 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 19 June 2024 - 05:20 PM

i can agree to a degree. hell i have always thought that new Players should get at lest 10 mech bays from the start (enough for 2 Drop Decks (for events/EQ and whatever) and a couple mechs that you are toying with). i think i would set it up so you get the first 4 free then have two one time purchase 3 bay packs in the store for C-bills. (with all the c-bills they toss out from events it should be easy enough for new players to get the funds)

as for the C-Bills even when i first started i never found that much trouble.sort of made me feel like i was working towards something. now i have more C-bills than i will ever spend and enough MC to buy at least 2 Assault heroes with enough for left over for a light. honestly though there are other things that i think are far more important for PGI to fix than c-bill costs.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 05:24 PM

realy think mc needs to be grindable. not very quickly mind you, no more than a few points per game. but the game isnt interesting unless i can keep collecting stuff, which sucks because i have most of it and payed well beyond what a game should cost. so little reason to do grind outside of events. if population decline is an issue, give old players reasons to come back and new players reasons to keep playing. players cant buy things if they are playing other games.

#5 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:08 PM

This game should have repair/rearm costs.
The next game should have repair/rearm costs.

#6 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:13 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 19 June 2024 - 08:08 PM, said:

No it should not.
There was rearm and repair during the beta, and we all saw it was a bad idea.

#7 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:50 PM

View Postepikt, on 19 June 2024 - 08:13 PM, said:

No it should not.
There was rearm and repair during the beta, and we all saw it was a bad idea.

I remember people crying about missile costs, but it was fine.

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:19 PM

In result it just reduces income and encourages more timid game play.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 20 June 2024 - 07:00 AM.

#9 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:21 PM

Once you have a certain number/amount of mechs and equipment you don't really need to buy anything else, just swap stuff around. Earning C-bills is a way to save time by just buying what you need right away.

Think of it as Comstar's version of Amazon. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 19 June 2024 - 09:23 PM.

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 02:57 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 19 June 2024 - 08:08 PM, said:

field repair yes, buying ammo yes (i kind of felt this was stupid in mw5, ammo is a consumable). but if you are going to have to foot the bill for repair in between missions, you need to reduce the grind to get the stuff in the first place. if you cant make any progress because you are spending everything on repair, sort of like early game mw5, its going to suck.

Edited by LordNothing, 20 June 2024 - 02:58 AM.

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 03:30 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 19 June 2024 - 09:21 PM, said:

Once you have a certain number/amount of mechs and equipment you don't really need to buy anything else, just swap stuff around. Earning C-bills is a way to save time by just buying what you need right away.

Think of it as Comstar's version of Amazon. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

i used to move my boosted cockpit items around, but i figured the time this took i could have just played an extra match or two and earned more cbills.

#12 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 20 June 2024 - 07:29 AM

Almost every video game has some form of currency to buy-sell stuff. Even arcade games with no shop option used high score and points to get extra lives,continues or more time. Mwo is no different. Now I'm going to get a new high score in bubble bobble but i mostly play it for the catchy music.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 04:18 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 20 June 2024 - 07:29 AM, said:

Almost every video game has some form of currency to buy-sell stuff. Even arcade games with no shop option used high score and points to get extra lives,continues or more time. Mwo is no different. Now I'm going to get a new high score in bubble bobble but i mostly play it for the catchy music.

that brings back memories...

..of a mental institution.

#14 Waponiwoo

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 04:57 PM

as a few months new player, i would definitely buy more mech bays with actual cash if cbill cost of mechs and equipment wasnt as much of an issue. i wont spend actual cash on cbills, even if there was an option that wasnt insanely bad.

non event, with hero and 5% bonus hanger and prime time or whatever, it takes like 8 hours just to buy a mech (say what 300k? average if doing real good for me at 15 mins a game) and more if the that random 50 ton clan mech is like 13mil for some reason, and much more if i want to play a non hero (most of the time). then immediately going to refit to whatever build idea i had in the first place = another 6 mill. so from random idea to actually playing it could be like a week playing a couple hours a night easy. did that first month just to get an mrm catapult and it was so discouraging and annoying, then to immediately find out mrm spread from cat arms at 400m needs like 10 good shots and luck to actually kill a dude. might as well just run an srm build. wait the srm build is better with a different cat? dude.

if it wasnt for the 50% sales and events all the time it might have gotten to me more.

#15 RabidBeagles

• PipPip
  • Heishi-ni
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 10:08 PM

I kind like the idea of needing to spend c-bills for repair, like how it is in MW5. Maybe they could adjust the prices so it's not so punishing or doesn't affect player behavior too much. Then maybe if you're low on c-bills you can use Trial mechs at no repair cost.

oh, and we also could sell all those jump jets and targeting computers we get from the supply caches.

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 03:41 AM

View PostRabidBeagles, on 20 June 2024 - 10:08 PM, said:

I kind like the idea of needing to spend c-bills for repair, like how it is in MW5. Maybe they could adjust the prices so it's not so punishing or doesn't affect player behavior too much. Then maybe if you're low on c-bills you can use Trial mechs at no repair cost.

oh, and we also could sell all those jump jets and targeting computers we get from the supply caches.

the resell rates in mwo are definitely ***. they would need to be better if you want players to also be able to repair stuff. even lore says that most of the equipment is well used and has had a myriad of owners before the techs get it and install it in your mech (grandpa's autocannon). the cost of equipment would not depreciate that harshly. firearms actually have really good resale rates, i used to work in a pawn shop at one point. they are less bad in mw5 but still more than you would expect of lore.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 June 2024 - 03:42 AM.

#17 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 08:57 AM

View PostWaponiwoo, on 20 June 2024 - 04:57 PM, said:

as a few months new player, i would definitely buy more mech bays with actual cash if cbill cost of mechs and equipment wasnt as much of an issue. i wont spend actual cash on cbills, even if there was an option that wasnt insanely bad.

non event, with hero and 5% bonus hanger and prime time or whatever, it takes like 8 hours just to buy a mech (say what 300k? average if doing real good for me at 15 mins a game) and more if the that random 50 ton clan mech is like 13mil for some reason, and much more if i want to play a non hero (most of the time). then immediately going to refit to whatever build idea i had in the first place = another 6 mill. so from random idea to actually playing it could be like a week playing a couple hours a night easy. did that first month just to get an mrm catapult and it was so discouraging and annoying, then to immediately find out mrm spread from cat arms at 400m needs like 10 good shots and luck to actually kill a dude. might as well just run an srm build. wait the srm build is better with a different cat? dude.

if it wasnt for the 50% sales and events all the time it might have gotten to me more.

What is the MRM catapult you bought? The Butterbee?
Which do you think is best SRM Catapult? You probably think it's the A1, but I'd take the C4 any day of the week.

#18 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 08:16 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 19 June 2024 - 04:18 PM, said:

So here's a thought, why?

What is the point of C-Bill walling necessary parts of the mechs? Why upgrades cost money? Why do weapons, ammunition? Mech ownership is limited by MC as well, so why do mechs even have a price? etc.

Did you want them to play the game for you too?

I mean, ultimately the game is about PVP, and people go after certain builds, and those equipment doesn't have to be rebought. I think that it might be slightly for the grind, but at this point the old players have so much stuff it becomes trivial, and is just a difficulty for the newbies, and the one-off upgrades/downgrades are just going to be limited by not being able to experiment taking off or on the FFA/DHS/Endo.

Here's a small experiment, why not half-off at EVERY CBILL purchase. Let's see what happens.

Oh no, it's a difficulty to grind cbills by playing a game. If it's so trivial, why does it need to be changed?

You can try out the different upgrades by going into mechlab, making the changes you want to try, and then going into the tesring grounds. All without spending cbills.

#19 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:58 AM

Adding field repair costs or really anything that increases in-game costs might sound realistic but is a bad idea.

You are already talking about a game that is very hard on newer players and has a pretty level of frustration for many casual players.

If players can't know for a fact they are at least going to grind out 200K c-bills and 2K XP per match no matter what, or even worse, if they might actually lose c-bills playing, you're going to be driving people away. The game already has serious issues with a massive divide between hardcore and casual players, that is arguably the game's biggest problem (look at faction play - it's love or hate for FP, and it seems mostly hate...), so any game changes that weigh more heavily against less skilled players will be bad for the game in the long run.

#20 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,960 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 June 2024 - 11:46 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 19 June 2024 - 08:50 PM, said:

I remember people crying about missile costs, but it was fine.

Ooooh, it was not; it really was not. People would game the system by dropping in 'mechs with no armor repaired - or only repair their weapon locations - then drop with sub-optimal builds to take advantage of the automatic partial ammo reloads so they didn't have to pay the costs. They could pay the costs - they just didn't want to, and had no problem screwing over their teammates by spending three times as much tonnage on ammo as they actually needed. Then they'd try to hide behind you because they were already cored at the start of the match, mooching damage when they could and often dying early when they'd try.

The rearm costs were mostly just annoying, and punished you for buying and using Assault 'mechs. But the things unscrupulous players did to get around those costs definitely damaged the game.

Repair and rearm would be great in a "campaign" mode - possibly in faction warfare - where you could sign up to fight over a planet with a set of 'mechs for a week - and then have to repair and rearm from salvage and match rewards. Add in a daily repair allotment to prevent people getting totally stuck, and it could be fun! But for quickplay, it was atrocious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users