6 replies to this topic

#1 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,954 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 June 2024 - 01:37 PM

It occurred to me recently that while I love a few of my bolt-ons, most of them are not to my taste - too gaudy or outre. Giant comical exhaust pipes, 'mech mohawks, and angelic wings just aren't in the spirit of the game, or the universe. But what about bolt-ons that are more practial-looking? If I could grab something that looked like scorched armor, stripped paint, or the like, I'd be personally more likely to pick one up and use it - whether it be a pattern or a bolt-on.

Not sure how well this would work given the need to make bolt-ons conform to multiple 'mechs so we don't crash the game again, but even a pattern where one of the colors looks like blast damage would be neat.

#2 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 10:47 PM

I agree. The majority of bolt-ons is hideous or outright stupid.

For example, I can hardly imagine elite Clan Star Commander of some frontline Galaxy undergoing Trial of Position and carrying a wrecked car (or some similar junk) strapped to the back of his assault OmniMech.

#3 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 July 2024 - 07:14 AM

View Postmartian, on 30 June 2024 - 10:47 PM, said:

For example, I can hardly imagine elite Clan Star Commander of some frontline Galaxy undergoing Trial of Position and carrying a wrecked car (or some similar junk) strapped to the back of his assault OmniMech.

Well, at least a wrecked car can be found easily... but a dinosaur skull?

#4 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 01 July 2024 - 08:26 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 30 June 2024 - 01:37 PM, said:

It occurred to me recently that while I love a few of my bolt-ons, most of them are not to my taste - too gaudy or outre. Giant comical exhaust pipes, 'mech mohawks, and angelic wings just aren't in the spirit of the game, or the universe. But what about bolt-ons that are more practial-looking? If I could grab something that looked like scorched armor, stripped paint, or the like, I'd be personally more likely to pick one up and use it - whether it be a pattern or a bolt-on.

Not sure how well this would work given the need to make bolt-ons conform to multiple 'mechs so we don't crash the game again, but even a pattern where one of the colors looks like blast damage would be neat.
so far the only bolt ons i've used at all are the Elemental ones for the warden and bloodname pack. because who wouldn't run their omnimech with a bunch of battle armor attached? i also use some jaw for the blood asp but other than that i really don't recall any other bolt ons I use.

with how crazy the bolt ons are i'm surprized there's not a nuclear plant cooling tower or something like that. as crazy as that is that'd make more sense than the smoke stacks

Edited by KursedVixen, 01 July 2024 - 08:36 PM.

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,954 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 July 2024 - 08:49 AM

I'm pretty sure some of the inspiration for that was the... extreme customization in some other games, and possibly they were thinking about Solaris and the Periphery, too. Overall, many bolt-ons are just too outre.

Edited by Void Angel, 02 July 2024 - 08:49 AM.

#6 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 02 July 2024 - 02:10 PM

yeah and now solaris is event only....

Edited by KursedVixen, 02 July 2024 - 02:11 PM.

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,954 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 July 2024 - 08:38 PM

Right, right.. I meant in theme - Solaris is an entirely different can of worms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users