42 replies to this topic

#21 Peter Prickler

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 11:22 AM

View PostHaman Karn, on 21 August 2024 - 10:34 AM, said:

No one said these would give you an advantage, just a new addition to the game for fun.

a useless one, if you ask me. You are a flying target, the trajectory is predictable... benefit is, to fly over canyons and the ECM.

#22 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 21 August 2024 - 11:25 AM

I've realized, Stealth armor is required, helps when enemies can't auto target you. I've been far less noticed since.

#23 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 01:47 PM

View PostWarlordKnight, on 21 August 2024 - 10:22 AM, said:

Apache champion cant really support assaults because its wing span is too wide and it seems I always end up with one of my RACs brushing their rear armor unless I completely expose myself. I currently can't really figure out a viable strategy with it compared to other 2RAC5 mechs.
theoretically you have ECM and can shoot at a single mechs cockpit to blind them and then not be seen, but that rarely happens in higher tiers. and the wide distance between the 2 ballistic hardpoints just spreads the damage too much at close range even though it has 25% ROF.

Simply separate your weapon groups. 1 button for the left arm and 1 button for the right.

#24 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 21 August 2024 - 07:55 PM

After playing the Spectre for more than 10 matches... I can say... WOW... I love the hover mechanic... GIMME MOAR!

#25 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 08:32 PM

PS: The Apache is a bit of a Team Kill technician with the ROF on those RAC's :o

Although... I didn't tell them to walk into the stream of hell... :D

#26 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 01:36 PM

So, I did not know this whole "horizontal fight patch" thing is happening, until I saw one of those mechs jumping-off from the cliff and having never-ending JJ going lol. ??? Posted Image Was quite a surprise. * (I know, it is not really never ending Posted Image )

So for take-off, you run and then look up to tilt your body? Just like a plane?

#27 Haman Karn

• PipPip
  • Driven
  • Driven
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 01:55 PM

View PostStrelok7, on 22 August 2024 - 01:36 PM, said:

You gotta kinda run along a slope while jumping/flying to get lift, if you take off from flat you dont really go anywhere.

#28 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:02 AM

View PostHaman Karn, on 22 August 2024 - 01:55 PM, said:

You gotta kinda run along a slope while jumping/flying to get lift, if you take off from flat you dont really go anywhere.

View PostStrelok7, on 22 August 2024 - 01:36 PM, said:

So, I did not know this whole "horizontal fight patch" thing is happening, until I saw one of those mechs jumping-off from the cliff and having never-ending JJ going lol. ??? Posted Image Was quite a surprise. * (I know, it is not really never ending Posted Image )

More like a Glider, take off from high ground and float off into the distance. There is a little bit of lift, but it's not much.

Edited by Amsro, 23 August 2024 - 09:12 AM.

#29 ShogunKid

• PipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:47 AM

Dear PGI --
The partial wing mechanic is cool, but a bit lacking in my opinion. You can't poptart at all! I think the jumpjets should be dual function. Single space bar and hold should act as normal jump jets with regular fuel usage, target reticle shake, and heat. The other option would be do a double tap and hold on the space bar for the flight/glide mode with the partial wing benefits of prolonged fuel, no reticle shake, and lower heat. Just my two cents! I think that change would make these somewhat anemic mechs into truly fun and useful mechs!
Thanks for even considering! :)

Edited by ShogunKid, 23 August 2024 - 09:47 AM.

#30 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 04:58 PM

View PostShogunKid, on 23 August 2024 - 09:47 AM, said:

Dear PGI --
The partial wing mechanic is cool, but a bit lacking in my opinion. You can't poptart at all! I think the jumpjets should be dual function. Single space bar and hold should act as normal jump jets with regular fuel usage, target reticle shake, and heat. The other option would be do a double tap and hold on the space bar for the flight/glide mode with the partial wing benefits of prolonged fuel, no reticle shake, and lower heat. Just my two cents! I think that change would make these somewhat anemic mechs into truly fun and useful mechs!
Thanks for even considering! Posted Image

Yeah maybe make a toggle like ECM has, instead it would function to change flight modes, Lift and Glide modes.

Edited by Amsro, 23 August 2024 - 04:59 PM.

#31 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 23 August 2024 - 07:08 PM

View PostShogunKid, on 23 August 2024 - 09:47 AM, said:

Dear PGI --
The partial wing mechanic is cool, but a bit lacking in my opinion. You can't poptart at all!

The partial wing isn't for poptarting. It's for gliding by quickly gaining altitude. What they do right now instead is turn your mech into hover boats and glide along the ground. These mechs need a tweak for lift speed so that they can gain altitude on their own instead of having to find a slope somewhere, run partially up it and then start gaining altitude very slowly while we are STANDING on our spacebar.

#32 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 03:01 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 23 August 2024 - 07:08 PM, said:

The partial wing isn't for poptarting. It's for gliding by quickly gaining altitude. What they do right now instead is turn your mech into hover boats and glide along the ground. These mechs need a tweak for lift speed so that they can gain altitude on their own instead of having to find a slope somewhere, run partially up it and then start gaining altitude very slowly while we are STANDING on our spacebar.

You do slowly but surely gain altitude while gliding, so it's not a straight hover as you put it...

#33 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 04:27 AM

Tried it, not impressed, there is no point in being a slow floating target for the enemy team.

At very least the system needs to be removable/replaceable with regular jets. Ideally it should boost you forward at increasing speed, it would be useful for reaching places quickly.

Until then... mothballed.

#34 Peter Prickler

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 06:57 AM

View PostAmsro, on 21 August 2024 - 11:25 AM, said:

I've realized, Stealth armor is required, helps when enemies can't auto target you. I've been far less noticed since.

How did u realize a build with stealth, endo ecm and 2 rac5?

Edited by Peter Prickler, 24 August 2024 - 06:57 AM.

#35 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 02:37 PM

View PostPeter Prickler, on 24 August 2024 - 06:57 AM, said:

How did u realize a build with stealth, endo ecm and 2 rac5?

Oh no, it's the Spectre I use with Stealth, the Apache doesn't seem to be as squishy and with the RAC/5's people don't tend to stare.

- Full Armor (16/18 head armor)

- XL300

- Standard Structure and Stealth Armor

- 4x Light Machine Gun

- 2.5x tons Light Machine Gun Ammo

- 2x Light PPC

- ECM and BAP

Edited by Amsro, 24 August 2024 - 02:55 PM.

#36 Peter Prickler

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 04:05 PM

ok, I play the apache. but I think too, the racs are not the best weapon for this

#37 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 August 2024 - 08:55 PM

View PostBig-G, on 24 August 2024 - 03:01 AM, said:

You do slowly but surely gain altitude while gliding, so it's not a straight hover as you put it...

Fair enough. But I don't consider gaining altitude equal to a Black Knight's height after 10 sec of flight time as actually "gaining altitude" for a mech that's supposed to have actual flight time.

Right now, the mech isn't a flight-enabled mech. If it instead gained altitude faster, then it'd be something worthwhile. Again, I'm not talking about poptarting.

#38 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 26 August 2024 - 10:45 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 24 August 2024 - 08:55 PM, said:

Fair enough. But I don't consider gaining altitude equal to a Black Knight's height after 10 sec of flight time as actually "gaining altitude" for a mech that's supposed to have actual flight time.

Right now, the mech isn't a flight-enabled mech. If it instead gained altitude faster, then it'd be something worthwhile. Again, I'm not talking about poptarting.

Or if it at least increased your speed horizontally, to make you a harder target.

#39 Max J Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 36 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2024 - 08:09 AM

Does the Jump jet part of the skill trees affect or enhance mobility of the Partial Wing configuration?

#40 Tiy0s

Staff

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEdo, Turtle Bay

Posted 28 August 2024 - 10:49 AM

View PostMax J Wolf, on 27 August 2024 - 08:09 AM, said:

Does the Jump jet part of the skill trees affect or enhance mobility of the Partial Wing configuration?

Yes. Just remember that JJ skill points are percentage bonuses, meaning that nodes like lift speed will have very minor impact since the base lift stat is very low.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users