BattleMechs General

60 replies to this topic

#1 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 153 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 23 August 2024 - 06:47 AM

This is something that people have been asking for Years, and mainly now that said 3 mechs got a new life in the Tabletop

The Devastator for originally being conceived as the failed "Titan but Better" but ended up as a "Warhammer, but 100 tons better and without the original's flaws" to a point it even resembles the former with a heavier armor and bigger guns
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Devastator

The Hellcat, previously Known as Hellhound II(because the name Wolverine makes every clanner have PTSD's over a certain Khan being right over Nicky mentally challenging problems, and Clan Wolf Admitting that she was right by adopting her Clan's Culture) Using its 3065 Fed Com era armament.
https://www.sarna.ne..._(Hellhound_II)

And Lastly the Original Zombie Mech and king of of the Assault Brawling Circle, the THUG, because you don't chose the THUG Life, the THUG Life choses you!.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thug

Bonus: there is also the Argus, Firemoth and the Atlas II, the later if PGI Finally decides to jump the timeline to 3152

Edited by PelinalWhitestrake, 23 August 2024 - 06:49 AM.

#2 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,679 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:25 AM

Firemoth is out. Please let this 'Mech just die already. I want it just as bad everyone else, but they say it'll crash the game. Why? I don't have a damn clue, Sherlock.

The others would be nice. Most of all, the Devastator. However, I'd love both the MW4 version a.k.a.the Hellcat and the Conjurer. Make a pack similar to the Hatamoto-Chi/Charger. Just a thought.

#3 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 23 August 2024 - 10:00 AM

Helkcat is a no go it uses a XXL engine and they're not in the game yet

#4 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 253 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:25 AM

How XXL engine work, explode when you lose arm? Posted Image

#5 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 August 2024 - 12:24 PM

View Posttorsie, on 23 August 2024 - 11:25 AM, said:

Constant heat penalty.

#6 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 03:47 PM

View Posttorsie, on 23 August 2024 - 11:25 AM, said:

As Horseman said constant heat penalty, even when standing still, and to add to it takes up one extra slot in the st's and now clans basically have a IS XL that heats up, while the IS basically stays the same.

They could release the prototype variant that uses a XL 250 which is infinitely more safer to use especially a mech with easy to hit ST's.

Posted Image

#7 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:48 PM

I d better to see strange mechs, like chimera, mongoose.

#8 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 07:48 AM

The Devastator doesn't seem to offer much beyond what other Spheroid fatties already do. There's a bunch of designs that can do combined Goose/PPC, though the Devastator does have what would likely be a thicker mix of E and B. Its variants barely count as variants though, there's not much divergence at all amongst the design's various offshoots. Piranha would have to do a lot of P variants to make that work. Not a bad pick, just doesn't seem like an exciting one.

The Hellcat sure is a heccin' weirdo. Heh. It also has no variants at all save one that drops the batshit XXL engine for a 250XL, which would be the base model in MWO. Honestly, I'd rather see the original Conjuror/Hellhound, which has a nice selection of variants available. Could put it in the Hellcat's skin if folks want their MW4 looks back, or they could tweak the original Wolverine's model some and save resources. Maybe. I dunno how valid that is, but either way, don't think the Hellcat as written is a good fit.

The Thug, weirdly enough for an old IntroTech 'Mech, has very few valid variants, essentially zero of which are MWO feasible. Probably why it wasn't introduced earlier in MWO's lifetime - they'd have to invent basically every variant other than the Royal one. It's certainly got an appealing silhouette, but two peeps and two SRM-6s do not go as far as they might have. The Hatamoto-Chi can attest to that.

#9 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 153 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 24 August 2024 - 03:14 PM

The Devastator as i said, it was originally a Grand Titan successor due to the original being so bad that Kerensky ordered a 100 Ton Warhammer with none of the original`s Downsides
The Warhammer IIC Exists but there none of the equivalent into the Inner Sphere side

As for the Thug, it is literally a zombie assault mech perfect for brawling

#10 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 03:21 PM

Right now we don't need any more assaults in the game we are so jam packed.

I rather see the Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Locust IIC, and Mad Cat MK III, Hell drop the Shadow Cat II a 60 ton heavy battlemech and the Ryoken II a 75ton battlemech these are not hard to implement and the models that's need to make them only need a few changes.

#11 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 04:11 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 24 August 2024 - 03:21 PM, said:

Right now we don't need any more assaults in the game we are so jam packed.

I rather see the Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Locust IIC, and Mad Cat MK III, Hell drop the Shadow Cat II a 60 ton heavy battlemech and the Ryoken II a 75ton battlemech these are not hard to implement and the models that's need to make them only need a few changes.

Amen. Love to see more Clan Lights and Mediums. Like the Locust IIC which has a shoot load of variants.

#12 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 08:40 PM

Honestly? I could see the Locust IIC, and I'd be willing to spike some dollars into it. The base configuration is kind of a saner Piranha with (ideally) a less godawful cockpit, the IIC-2 is a smaller and more agile Jenner IIC, and either the 4 or 6 handles Light Ballistics Spam. Has all the configurations one can reasonably run on a 25-ton 'Mech, and the latest ilClan-era art for it is pretty killer. Would also make the inevitable ERLL 'snipers' slightly less bad with the Marauder-esque top-mounted gun.

Still think the Hellion would land better overall, but I could see the Locust IIC working out.

Posted Image

#13 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 08:56 PM

The Bear Cub could be a nice 25 tonner to add into the game essientially the clans version of the commando but with 2 extra variants unlike the commando iic.

Posted Image

#14 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 153 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 07 September 2024 - 08:48 AM

the cub woulnt be a bad idea either, even the chimera would be nice since the hellspawn was added into the game.also, the owens, i think its time for him and the locust iic to shine

Edited by PelinalWhitestrake, 07 September 2024 - 08:50 AM.

#15 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 11:37 AM

The Owens is a 35-ton Inner Sphere OmniMech with an XL engine, standard armor and structure, and fixed single heat sinks. It is completely and utterly unsuited to MWO without modifications of the sort that would render the entire "drawback" of the OmniMech system meaningless. There is no world where the Owens in MWO is anything but a mistake. Straight up, the freaking Raptor would be better. Little 25-ton OmniGoober with better internals, DHS, and significantly more pod space than the Owens.

#16 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 12:25 PM

View Post1453 R, on 08 September 2024 - 11:37 AM, said:

The Owens is a 35-ton Inner Sphere OmniMech with an XL engine, standard armor and structure, and fixed single heat sinks. It is completely and utterly unsuited to MWO without modifications of the sort that would render the entire "drawback" of the OmniMech system meaningless. There is no world where the Owens in MWO is anything but a mistake. Straight up, the freaking Raptor would be better. Little 25-ton OmniGoober with better internals, DHS, and significantly more pod space than the Owens.

Agreed. The Black Hawk-FU did the trick. So there'll be no more IS OmniMechs. Period! Regardless of chassis. That includes those like Hauptmann, etc. I hate to say it, but IS OmniMechs are DEAD!!!

#17 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 05:10 PM

The Hauptmann would actually be quite spicy. It's an IS Omni, sure - but it's a 95-ton IS Omni with STD armor, structure AND engine, but fitted with double heat sinks. Forty-three tons of pod space default per Sarna, so presuming somewhere scant north of 40 tons once fully armored and with absolutely nothing taking up internal space - which also means it's an IS Omni that can take Heavy Goose and LBX-20. Which a few of the canon variants do.

Like, totally get why they picked the Black Hawk-KU - reuse the Nova assets basically verbatim for free, introduce Fancy New 'Mech. But the Hauptmann is the IS Omni that could actually perform.

#18 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,758 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 09 September 2024 - 08:59 AM

ITT, people just naming of desires for mechs regardless of how they fit into the game. No mechs are getting made specifically for MWO outside of rare cases like the Black Hawk Ku, but not only that, a lot of mechs that people want just don't really serve a purpose in MWO.

On the topic of IS omnis though, I think it shows the two-fold problem of some foundational issues in MWO. First being the XLs are riskier than they should be in a game where parity is important and the Clan XL does not suffer the same risks. Second being that Omnimech's omnipods are hardly an advantage over customization and hardpoint inflation that battlemechs get. Omnipods were a nice experiment but IMO the fact that so many are stuck overengined and needing of hefty quirks or specific omnipods that allow some to carry appreciable payloads is a pretty telling symptom of the issue.

#19 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 10:46 AM

Y'know, that's a fair point. If they're making new 'Mechs - and TiY0s said they're doing exactly that, one new Fatty chassis and one new Fasty chassis - and we presume they're asset conversions from the new MW game like the incredibly stupid hatchetless MWO "Hatchetman"...both new chassis have a strong likelihood of being Clan machines, rather than yet more weird niche IS crap.

I don't know tabletop well enough to know if there's any prominent Smoke Jaguar machines we don't already have (side note: why are we playing the objectively worst clan in MW5:C? Nobody likes the Jaguars >_>), nor am I recalling any significant holes in the current roster of Clan 'Mechs. That said, co-op PvE campaign play is an entirely different beast than MWO, who knows what 'mechs might suddenly become a good idea in that system. Are we getting a Naga with its Arrow batteries replaced with excessive LRM counts in MWO because the Artillery Fatty makes sense in MW5:C? Who knows?

#20 BlueDevilspawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 11:01 AM

View Post1453 R, on 09 September 2024 - 10:46 AM, said:

Y'know, that's a fair point. If they're making new 'Mechs - and TiY0s said they're doing exactly that, one new Fatty chassis and one new Fasty chassis - and we presume they're asset conversions from the new MW game like the incredibly stupid hatchetless MWO "Hatchetman"...both new chassis have a strong likelihood of being Clan machines, rather than yet more weird niche IS crap.

I don't know tabletop well enough to know if there's any prominent Smoke Jaguar machines we don't already have (side note: why are we playing the objectively worst clan in MW5:C? Nobody likes the Jaguars >_>), nor am I recalling any significant holes in the current roster of Clan 'Mechs. That said, co-op PvE campaign play is an entirely different beast than MWO, who knows what 'mechs might suddenly become a good idea in that system. Are we getting a Naga with its Arrow batteries replaced with excessive LRM counts in MWO because the Artillery Fatty makes sense in MW5:C? Who knows?

I'll help with a compilation of paraphrased points from what Tiyos has said -
1. The next new chassis is a "chonky boi"
2. The next new chassis after that is a "fast boi"
3. The mechs are "90% confirmed" which I assume depends on resource availability
4. Since MW5: Clans is a game where you plan as a Clanner, you should expect Clan mechs.

For those saying "but what if we fight [insert XYZ IS mech]? Can't we just make that?" doesn't matter, because you need to design more than just the outside. Things like cockpit and internals distribution, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users