Weird Lag Issue

4 replies to this topic

#1 Gotta Go

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 August 2024 - 10:07 AM

Hello all,

Recently I had to replace my desktop and have been noticing a strange lag(?) issue.

I will be in a match and the screen will stop moving for about 3 seconds, roughly. I would count when I would see the mechs around me stop and walk in place and then jump to a new position. Needless to say this made shooting and moving quite difficult.

The jumping is random as it occurs on different maps but sometimes the same map back-to-back has no jumping on the second occurrence.

I tried going into setting and turning off or setting to low everything that had the option. No change.

My setup (please keep the giggling down),

Dell Inspiron 3650
Cpu: I5 6400@2.7GHZ
8 Gigs DDR3
NVidia GeForce GT730

Is there way to decide if the card or the CPU is the issue?

I was looking through NewEgg at the video cards but could not find a way to narrow the search to cards powered from the rail vs external.

If not NewEgg, are there any other sites that might have a selection?

Gotta Go (my handle, not a send off)

#2 Passenger410

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 09:47 AM

Check the paging file settings. Try setting it to at least 4 GB on each and every of your HDD/SSD drives.

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,983 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:50 AM

Have you used a config file to optimize your new install? MWO isn't well optimized, so a trip through MrVaad's MWOConfig Editor might be in order.

#4 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 10 September 2024 - 02:07 AM

View PostGotta Go, on 25 August 2024 - 10:07 AM, said:

<<< snip >>>

My setup (please keep the giggling down),

Dell Inspiron 3650
Cpu: I5 6400@2.7GHZ
8 Gigs DDR3
NVidia GeForce GT730

Is there way to decide if the card or the CPU is the issue?

<<< snip >>>

I'm sorry to report, but your entire setup is the issue here. You will find no giggles at all coming from me, because I fully understand the pains of not having a computer powerful enough for big things. I do not have much better myself, but this is what I have...
  • AMD FX-4300 @ 3.8 GHz
  • 16 GB RAM (Not sure of DDR Version, sorry!!!)
  • NVidia GeForce GTX 670
...and in terms of production level, things are as follows...
  • Your CPU is literally too slow to handle MWO properly, and likely may be causing the largest bottleneck of anything there. (Mine is barely tolerating it, and that's saying something!!!) When it comes to CryEngine's 3.x-series, the per-core speed for a single core matters rather extremely. MWO is literally being choked in trying to process stuff within your system while Windows tries at maintaining background services and functions which MWO runs on top of.
  • Your RAM amount of 8 GB is unfortunately also too low. (I used to have this little, and ran into many problems because of it, including making the 64-bit Game Client functional.) Even if playing in borderless full window as to not overstress things (currently the recommended MWO operation mode), it happens that Windows is also getting choked in the background. Why, you may ask? Because it happens that MWO itself can chew multiple gigabytes of RAM without any warning at all. Plus your graphics card may be grabbing some Main System RAM in order to help itself with MWO and rendering stuff, but not reporting it in a manner which you can see.
  • Your particular model of NVidia GeForce known as GT 730 is unfortunately generationally-equivalent to only a GT 640 or GTX 550 at best. (For the knowledge, such as of the GTX 670 can be considered essentially equivalent to a GTX 760 or GTX 580 by comparison.) This places you below the true MWO recommendation for what GPU will truthfully provide minimally fluid rendering. (I'm barely above it myself!)
...for which this unfortunately means you are kind of stuck in regard to that system. As a first recommendation, you might be able to upgrade your RAM to 16 GB if the slots are available for doing so, or the per-slot maximum capacity happens to be greater than where you stand now. Essentially you need a newer computer with specs like...
  • Intel or AMD CPU @ ~4.0 GHz or better (as I said, per-single-core speeds critically matter)
  • 16 GB of RAM (more only if you're intending upon recording matches and stuff)
  • NVidia GeForce GTX 770 or better (leveling up to at least a GTX 1050 if you can manage it)
  • SSD-class storage for both OS and MWO (if you already do this, then you're good on that count)
...in order to gain better performance than what either of us are currently seeing. Otherwise, expect to struggle even with config tweaks which put MWO's rendering in a non-standard mode. You're not in what one could call a "pretty situation" at the moment there. :(

Even with everything I've posted, and considering how dismal my thoughts above may sound, it happens that I still wish you good luck on attempting any fine-tuning with your current rig. If you achieve any successes with putting pep back in your computer's step while running MWO heavily, please post back here and let us all know what helped you. :)

EDIT :: Sorry that I had not seen your thread sooner than this, and I hope you eventually come back to see any reply posts which you've not viewed yet. :unsure:

~D. V. "understanding 'Gotta Go's plight in regard to underpowered computing" Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 10 September 2024 - 02:12 AM.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,748 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 September 2024 - 03:48 AM

I will be in a match and the screen will stop moving for about 3 seconds, roughly. I would count when I would see the mechs around me stop and walk in place and then jump to a new position. Needless to say this made shooting and moving quite difficult.

There is system stuttering where the system is having difficult processing the graphics, then there is network connectivity, not receiving the necessary information to process. That description provided is primarily due a connectivity issue/packet loss. Your client is not receiving information to process mech movement, not completely struggling to process it. Or put it another way, when it happens, does the mouse movement stutter/jerky, or does it move fine?
  • Built-in Network card could be failing and/or heat could be a factor. Open up case and thoroughly clean dust build up and all fans are actually rotating.
  • Brand/model of modem and router.
  • How is everything connected? Wired, Wireless, combination?
  • If cable, check all connections and retighten.
  • Turn off router/modem for 30 secs then pull then back.
  • Do a DNS Flush.
  • Test by using a VPN with the possibility of being rerouted around a problematic router system your game packets passes through if the issue is not within your own network.
  • And your system appears to have Wi-Fi. For testing, if your phone can be setup as a hotspot, turn off modem/gateway and connect computer through the phone hotspot.
    • The amount of information handled is definitely nowhere near streaming content.
And Power Options, set to High Performance.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 September 2024 - 03:49 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users