I Used To Hate Light Mech Users...

18 replies to this topic

#1 Lincoln Cross

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 04:46 PM

Now I love em, since I became one. It sucked at first, but once I found the mech that I gel with, this **** is awesome.Going around making heavies and assaults rage like I did when I kept getting violated by lights.

It's nice when the rabbit gets the gun.

#2 Benjamin357

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 05:29 PM

I almost always run light mechs. For a long time my favorite mech was the SDR-5D, now it is the JVN-10F. What light mech are you running mostly at this time?

#3 Lincoln Cross

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 05:44 PM

Lol. I'm running the Mist Lynx G. 8xLMG-2xHML-2xHSL. I'm going to get the Ebon Dragoon version, but run it with the same config. Just want to get that CB bonus lol. I freaking love this mech. I've used it before and couldn't make it work. I came back to it recently and I'm dominating with this thing.

#4 Benjamin357

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 05:50 PM

Cool. If you like machine guns / AP-Guass, check out the Adder Warthog, currently available for C-Bills and 50% off, 14 ballistic hardpoints.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 05:56 PM

squirrelin' fun.

#6 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 06:12 PM

One of us! One of us!

#7 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,956 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 September 2024 - 06:28 PM

Excellent! Light 'mechs have a higher skill floor than other weight classes, but they're a lot of fun. Be aware that as you rise in PSR, you'll need to be more and more sneaky in order to get your money's worth out of a match - but it's a very rewarding weight class when you can get it right.

#8 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:13 PM

View PostLincoln Cross, on 18 September 2024 - 05:44 PM, said:

Lol. I'm running the Mist Lynx G. 8xLMG-2xHML-2xHSL. I'm going to get the Ebon Dragoon version, but run it with the same config. Just want to get that CB bonus lol. I freaking love this mech. I've used it before and couldn't make it work. I came back to it recently and I'm dominating with this thing.

You should've just gotten the MLX-D or the C if you only want 1 Mist Lynx, buying the G just for its So8 quirks is a pretty bad way to spend your slot and CBs with how marginal it is.
It's kind of like buying the EXE-M which some people would shill as "the best Executioner" but then you look at it and its So8 is just +5% energy range, which while nice for the all energy loadout it runs, isn't really a reason to buy it since you can just use its pods (with its main gimmick of having decent amount of energy hardpoints+armor quirks) on other Executioners anyway and play a bootleg EXE-M near identically as you would an So8 one.

Also the current MLX-G Trial version runs a loadout/skill build (in form of baked-in quirks) your average MLX-G would've ran anyway, so less reason to buy it even more.

The D while not "the strongest" at least has unique So8 to be a fun (in QP) C-UAC2 sniper, C-UAC5 if you're willing to not have any lasers, and nothing's really stopping you from running the G's loadout on it since you're not really gonna miss the G's So8 quirks either, same deal with the C but with C-ERLL+ECM so you can annoy people I guess.
Or you know, just get the Arctic Cheetah-B.

Edited by Ttly, 18 September 2024 - 10:32 PM.

#9 Lincoln Cross

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2024 - 02:41 AM

View PostTtly, on 18 September 2024 - 10:13 PM, said:

You should've just gotten the MLX-D or the C if you only want 1 Mist Lynx, buying the G just for its So8 quirks is a pretty bad way to spend your slot and CBs with how marginal it is.
It's kind of like buying the EXE-M which some people would shill as "the best Executioner" but then you look at it and its So8 is just +5% energy range, which while nice for the all energy loadout it runs, isn't really a reason to buy it since you can just use its pods (with its main gimmick of having decent amount of energy hardpoints+armor quirks) on other Executioners anyway and play a bootleg EXE-M near identically as you would an So8 one.

Also the current MLX-G Trial version runs a loadout/skill build (in form of baked-in quirks) your average MLX-G would've ran anyway, so less reason to buy it even more.

The D while not "the strongest" at least has unique So8 to be a fun (in QP) C-UAC2 sniper, C-UAC5 if you're willing to not have any lasers, and nothing's really stopping you from running the G's loadout on it since you're not really gonna miss the G's So8 quirks either, same deal with the C but with C-ERLL+ECM so you can annoy people I guess.
Or you know, just get the Arctic Cheetah-B.

Yeah. It's all fine and dandy if I knew this when I got the mech about 6 years ago when I first started. I got it cause it was suggested on the forums and like I said, I was brand new. I tried it, but couldn't figure it, mainly cause I was new. I quit the game shortly after that. Fast forward to two years ago, restarted and mainly played assaults. Just recently I decided to try the mech now that I know how to play and have great results with it.

Bottom line, it was there, I gave it another shot and I liked it. And I do have the Arctic Cheetah. As well as Pirate's Bane, Kit Fox's, Adder and so forth. But thank you for your two cents.

#10 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,758 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 September 2024 - 06:33 AM

This is kind of a silly argument. Yes you can buy the pods separately and yes the So8 isn't impressive because the pod combination is already really solid but that doesn't mean it isn't worth buying especially since So8 quirks are still better than nothing, the only reason to run those pods on other variants is to level them up with the same pods.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 19 September 2024 - 06:34 AM.

#11 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 19 September 2024 - 07:52 AM

Arguments for buying "unique" So8 quirks make sense for players who have limited resources or for So8 quirks that make for fun and interesting builds.

Some players have 300+ 'Mechs with scads of open bays, hundreds of millions of C-Bills, and thousands of GSP. For them, especially if they're more compy-minded, there's no reason not to take a 5% energy range quirk over not-that-quirk if they've a mind to play the 'Mech. Like, why leave an edge on the table if you don't have to, however slim that edge is?

And in this specific case, Lincoln was using a 'Mech he already had and (re)discovering a playstyle his greater experience in the game allowed him to abruptly discover he enjoyed. Optimization can come later, after the joy of discovering an Awesome New Style.

@Lincoln: Ebon Dragoon actually makes for a wicked fun SRM bomber, as well. My machine-gunner MLX, back before the HMG version got nerfed into oblivion, was one of my favorite 'Mechs. Enough for me to pick up Ebon Dragoon, but since my Invasion MLX was already running the C-Boosted HMG build figured I'd try SRMs. It's one of the most fluid and nimble SRM strikers I've got, well worth the pretty light MC investment for the chassis. Beats the Commando spitless at the job, provided you're able to tolerate the lower groundspeed in exchange for arguably the best jump capability in MWO.

#12 Lincoln Cross

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2024 - 02:45 PM

View Post1453 R, on 19 September 2024 - 07:52 AM, said:

Arguments for buying "unique" So8 quirks make sense for players who have limited resources or for So8 quirks that make for fun and interesting builds.

Some players have 300+ 'Mechs with scads of open bays, hundreds of millions of C-Bills, and thousands of GSP. For them, especially if they're more compy-minded, there's no reason not to take a 5% energy range quirk over not-that-quirk if they've a mind to play the 'Mech. Like, why leave an edge on the table if you don't have to, however slim that edge is?

And in this specific case, Lincoln was using a 'Mech he already had and (re)discovering a playstyle his greater experience in the game allowed him to abruptly discover he enjoyed. Optimization can come later, after the joy of discovering an Awesome New Style.

@Lincoln: Ebon Dragoon actually makes for a wicked fun SRM bomber, as well. My machine-gunner MLX, back before the HMG version got nerfed into oblivion, was one of my favorite 'Mechs. Enough for me to pick up Ebon Dragoon, but since my Invasion MLX was already running the C-Boosted HMG build figured I'd try SRMs. It's one of the most fluid and nimble SRM strikers I've got, well worth the pretty light MC investment for the chassis. Beats the Commando spitless at the job, provided you're able to tolerate the lower groundspeed in exchange for arguably the best jump capability in MWO.

I appreciate that. I'll give the SRM Bomber build a try. I do also have the MLX-C and I'm not really concerned with the 8 piece quirks on this mech as they seem to not fit with the how the hardpoints are on this mech. They are all over the place lol. And most of my omnis mix and match in order for me to get ECM or the ATM on my mechs. So it isn't a big deal to me. I have 94 mechs and 101 mech bays, so it wasn't like this was my first mech. Seemed like he was trying to make a bunch of assumptions. But anyways. Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely give it a try.

#13 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 September 2024 - 04:39 PM

View Post1453 R, on 19 September 2024 - 07:52 AM, said:

Arguments for buying "unique" So8 quirks make sense for players who have limited resources or for So8 quirks that make for fun and interesting builds. Some players have 300+ 'Mechs with scads of open bays, hundreds of millions of C-Bills, and thousands of GSP. For them, especially if they're more compy-minded, there's no reason not to take a 5% energy range quirk over not-that-quirk if they've a mind to play the 'Mech. Like, why leave an edge on the table if you don't have to, however slim that edge is? And in this specific case, Lincoln was using a 'Mech he already had and (re)discovering a playstyle his greater experience in the game allowed him to abruptly discover he enjoyed. Optimization can come later, after the joy of discovering an Awesome New Style.

You're right, but +5% energy range on the EXE-M is frankly a rather very petty edge, with how damage falloff (linearly for most energy weapons) works, all it really does is give C-ERMLs +0.3 damage each when fired at said extra range (+20m than default optimal range) than without, C-LPLs (+27m range) +0.7 damage, etc. while having the same performance under default range, it's really only more relevant on the more snipey range (shooting C-ERML at 600m with the +5% range quirk would've done 3.4 damage instead of 3 damage for instance). This "edge" might be relevant in comp I'm sure, but as you've said, not all people have practically infinite slots, CBs, GSP, etc. all for a build that could've been run on any other variant of the chassis with only very slight performance loss.

Also he was playing the G with LMGs+Heavy Lasers which doesn't even make use of the So8 quirks at all, and with the G chassis he can't "discover amazing new playstyles" of the other variants since most of said "amazing new playstyles" are locked behind the other variant's So8 that it can't run without being underquirked.

View PostLincoln Cross, on 19 September 2024 - 02:45 PM, said:

I do also have the MLX-C and I'm not really concerned with the 8 piece quirks on this mech as they seem to not fit with the how the hardpoints are on this mech.

You can run the MLX-C with 2ERLL like this or with full armor and 1 C-ERML+C-ERLL like this instead, or alternatively use 2 Plasma PPC or 1 C-ERPPC (the reason why it has separate general cooldown and ER laser cooldown quirks).
Had it been other variants that tries to copy this loadout, they won't have the So8's -20% cooldown on the lasers (actually significant), and less armor quirks (+7 armor is almost +20% here) on the side torsos.
Yes, So8s are pretty much just an incentive to "buy entire new chassis+slots+GSPs" for the omnis because otherwise there's not much reason to buy separate omnis chassis instead of just mix and matching pods outside of hardpoint boating.

Edited by Ttly, 19 September 2024 - 05:09 PM.

#14 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,758 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 September 2024 - 05:15 PM

View PostTtly, on 19 September 2024 - 04:39 PM, said:

You can run the MLX-C with 2ERLL like this or with full armor and 1 C-ERML+C-ERLL like this instead, or alternatively use 2 Plasma PPC or 1 C-ERPPC (the reason why it has separate general cooldown and ER laser cooldown quirks).

You "can" run these, but that doesn't mean you should. You're just a worse Cheetah and even a Cheetah isn't great for this sort of play.

#15 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 20 September 2024 - 12:06 PM

On the original topic a bit, I've been quite enjoying dickering around with Osirises of late, in my MWO time. The Sekhmet does a butt-ton of DPS for its weight, and doesn't need to get into Red Laser range to do it. The 1V SRM Skirmisher is a hilarious little rocket car that does the Commando's job better than the Commando does, if you don't mind the Osiris being larger and easier to hit. Less of an issue in my games, most of the time, and the jump capacity is a game-winner.

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,956 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 September 2024 - 01:39 PM

Well, "easier to hit" is an important concern as you go up in tiers. I find that XPL Sekhmet to be a hard 'mech to use, for example - because its larger frame and enemy marksmanship pose significant survivability challenges.

Edited by Void Angel, 20 September 2024 - 02:11 PM.

#17 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 September 2024 - 02:25 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 20 September 2024 - 01:39 PM, said:

Well, "easier to hit" is an important concern as you go up in tiers. I find that XPL Sekhmet to be a hard 'mech to use, for example - because its larger frame and enemy marksmanship pose significant survivability challenges.

TBF the XPL Sekhmet is a bit of a meme build because it runs so hot from shooting so fast. Your firing 3 shots every second and upto 7 every two seconds at 6 damage per hit if your running max cooldown skills ontop max laser burntime skills.

#18 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 20 September 2024 - 04:31 PM

Once you move to higher tier people will be less panicky, have better aim and stronger builds. You can still do well in a light, but its a completely different ball game.

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,956 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 September 2024 - 07:33 PM

View PostNine-Ball, on 20 September 2024 - 02:25 PM, said:

TBF the XPL Sekhmet is a bit of a meme build because it runs so hot from shooting so fast. Your firing 3 shots every second and upto 7 every two seconds at 6 damage per hit if your running max cooldown skills ontop max laser burntime skills.

Well, you don't use cooldown on hot builds - those points should be in something else, like radar deprivation, seismic, strikes, etc. In theory, those cooldown nodes let you blast people for more damage before you have to run, but in practice people will see your build and hunt you down. Even if they're not adept enough to notice your build's heat issues, they'll sense weakness when they chase you and you can't fight back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users