#42 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

We from the FRR are hearty folk. Haven't been kept down yet!

#43 Hakija

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, United States

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostDihm, on 25 March 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

FRR, the cockroach of the Inner Sphere.

I for one am proud to be cockroach. Have you ever tried to kill one? You step on it, you hear it snap, and as soon as you lift your foot it takes off across the room!

#44 DaMuncha

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

In MW4, arnt Victor Davion and Katrina Steiner brother and sister or something?

#45 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Victor Steiner Davion has a sister named Katherine Steiner Davion who later changed her name to Katrina to try to gather support for herself by taking the name of their famous grandmother Katrina Steiner.

#46 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

And then she usurped Victor's throne, while he was away destroying Clan Smoke Jaguar. He stayed out of it for a while, then their brother Arther was assassinated by Katherine. And so started the civil war...

#47 Strumtruppen

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

everybody shhhhh! here come the dev's stand around and don't let them know were here

#48 Ross486

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Well atleast they are learning from what is happening to Bioware with Mass Effect 3 but that is a good thing since more gaming companies should work the fans for input to make games better. I like on here that they are listening on here to fan feedback since it has been years since the last Mechwarrior title for input on Mech designs and other stuff related to Mechwarrior.

Edited by Ross486, 25 April 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#49 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostRoss486, on 25 April 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Well atleast they learning from what is happening to Bioware with Mass Effect 3 but that is a good thing since more gaming companies should work the fans for input to make games better. I like on here that they are listening on here to fan feedback since it has been years since the last Mechwarrior title for input on Mech designs and other stuff related to Mechwarrior.

I have NEVER, in all my years of gaming, seen the amount of interaction between dev and player that is displayed here.

#50 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

All of which is a really good thing in IMO. Long live Battletech, long live Mechwarrior!

#51 Grimm Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationKristianstad, Sweden

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

*chuckles* And again, only my second day back... and I Wall'o'Text's you guys... not that that is abnormal, or that I expected my self to not Wall'o'Text... it has become sort of my signature over the years here online... oh and also my ability to go offtopic all the time as well. Oh well, it is what it is. :angry:

View PostSkoll-, on 25 April 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

I have NEVER, in all my years of gaming, seen the amount of interaction between dev and player that is displayed here.

I have sort of, on some occations. But the one that stands out the most to me was with Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. I felt like what we where saying (both the beta testers and non beta testers) was heard and to some extent implimented. The amount of stuff, information, insight and what not, was staggering at the time as well I feel. Also, the amount of openess that Mythic had about what was going on, to the public (not just us beta testers), was almost unheard of. Mythic was very open about what was going on, why they did what they did, why they did not do certain things, why something was changed or removed etc. I just got this general feeling of them seriously listening to our input, and wanting us to understanding their choices and what not by openly talking about it. So in my opinion, when ever I follow the production of a new game, I will measure them up against how Mythic did things. Mythic are in my opinion groundbreaking in that sence (not to mention groundbreaking in other things as well, like public quests... after Mythic created public quests for WAR, it quickly blew up and can be found in a whole slew of other games these days... Mythic created new standards in many ways in my opinion). Also, Paul Barnett rules! That man could sell a refrigerater to someone living at the South Pole. ^_^

Granted, WAR did not end up being the success we all wanted it to be, and feel it should have been. But hey, you can not win them all unfortunatly. Just such a shame, Mythics concept of the game, their vision of what they wanted the game to be, was epic and awesome to say the least.

I mean seriously, WAR is so far the only game out there where I felt it was actually a little bit of fun playing a bit of PvP... or rather RvR. And the reason why that is significant to me, is because right down to it... I strongly dislike PvP (and multiplayer in singleplayer games)... almost with a passion. For one, I have always been a solo kind of a gamer, I get the most out of a game playing it alone, with nobody playing with me, or around me disturbing me and bringing me out of my focus of the game. The more focused I get on a game, the more I enjoy them, so someone talking to me or something compleatly brings me out of my focus, which forces me to try and refocus on it. Imagin that your driving your car, and your passanger randomly keeps stomping on the breaks... hard... thats how I normally feel when someone talks to me as I am playing a game.

Also, the reasons for why a lot of people like to play PvP, stuff like showing your self "superior" over otheres in skill or what ever, winning against other people, beating ones own chest bragging about how good one is, griefing, or what ever... gives me nothing. I don't feel a need to prove my self against otheres, what so ever. So PvP, in general, gives me nothing, and I find PvP in general to be boring. I get more out of fighting against npc's then against other players. I know that sounds... strange. :angry: So, the fact that I spent about 5-10% of my time on PvP/RvR in WAR is impressive, because in most mmo's I would only spent about 0-1% of my time on PvP

So it might seem strange that I am interested in MWO, seeing as initially there will pretty much only be PvP in the game (if there ever will be any singleplayer content at all). First of, "The exception that proves the rule" comes to mind. There is always going to be a few things here and there that breaks what is normal for a person, and MWO might just end up being one of those exceptions for me. Secondly, it's MechWarrior, I love the BattleTech IP. It is (together with some several other IP's) one of my favorit IP's out there. But also, one very big difference between WAR's RvR, and almost all other PvP out there, is that WAR's RvR actually ment something. What you did in RvR actually had a purpous other then pitting your self against other players, and trying to win bragging rights or what ever else nonsence one can think of. WAR's RvR actually felt like what you did mattered, because everything you did in RvR (and actually in the PvE as well) could influence how well your side did up towards the end battle parts. Just the fact that if you managed to kill one guy in RvR at the start during your lower levels, could mean the difference between your side winning or losing all the way up to the end game battles at max levels that day, makes it actually mean something. Rather then over and over again, mindlessly, charging at the enemy like a lemming, getting killed, respawning, charging, killed, etc, and doing it over and over and over again, for no other reason then to... do it. That is... stupid.

So... to wrap this up... the feeling I get from MWO is that the PvP in it might actually matter in the long run, atleast the PvP connected to the story and to the planets your side hold etc. And finally, to get back on topic with what Skoll said... the way Piranha seems to be handling things here, keeping us the games, consumers, etc, involved in all these different ways and what not... measures up pretty well against how Mythic handles their fans and information what what not with WAR... so Piranha... I approve. :rolleyes:

#52 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, it's been fun actually being able to talk to the people creating the game, and not in the "you're all pirates and thieves, out to steal my game" type of way :rolleyes:
This is probably the most invested I've ever been into a game that hasn't even been released yet.

#53 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

:D

I love your posts Grimm.

WAR is actually one of the few games I can say I actually miss. The RvR there, while horribly broken, was damn fun in its own way. And the competition we got between sides on the server as well as on the forums we a heck of a lot of fun. WAR was horribly flawed, but there was a nugget of gold hiding in there.

From personal experience, I've been in a ton of betas. The one that stands out where the Devs really never listened to us was AutoAssault. It was pretty broken when the closed beta kicked off (heck, our group actually broke/crashed the server in the first 15 or so minutes), but we put in a lot of time and gave a lot of feedback. It never seemed to be taken in and integrated though, and we didn't seem to get a whole lot of response to the work we put in. I feel that was shown in the end-product, and we know where the game ended up.

That's why I have such high hopes for MWO. The developer interaction, but also the spiral development, are very good signs to me.

Edited by Dihm, 26 April 2012 - 06:19 AM.

#54 Grimm Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationKristianstad, Sweden

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Whooooops... I sort of... forgot to check back here... for over a month! :( Gah, I am just to easy to distract... I see a game I want to play I instantly go compleatly full focus on it and play the hell out of it... until I suddenly get drawn away by another game (often resulting in me compleatly forgetting about the previous game... which often means I actually do not finish a lot of games), or tv-series or what ever. I get so focused on stuff that I sort of forget all other things. I am the same with pretty much everything, be them hobbies or other things. That is probably why I will not be more then a "casual" member of a merc unit in this game, due to my tendencie to... disapear. In every guild I have been a member of in mmo's, I have always placed my self as a casual member... even though as a gamer I tend to be pretty hardcore... or pretty close to hardcore. I just feel that even if I play a game A LOT when I play it, I could suddenly disapear for the next few days or weeks or what ever, so I never signed up for stuff in guilds and just place my self as a "I am here right now, so if you guys need me just give me a poke.". Because I did not want to sign up for something only to suddenly find my self having been drawn away by something else, missing the thing I signed up for, would not be fair to the people who would be relying on me to be there.

Anyway... Dihm. Yeah the RvR was fun. I was in that games beta for... I think it was 9 months befor the release. And some of my memories from that time was from the RvR. A lot of it was that most people tended to... Lemming rush it. A big clump of it people vs another big clump of people, meeting somewhere in the middle of the map, meatgrinding, and the "front line" being constantly pushed back and forth as one sides people died of, and then being reinforced again to push the other side back... Lemming, rinse, repeat... stupid tactics in my opinion. But then there where a few people who saw that for what it was, me included, because it did very little in the sence of "winning". We would band together and sneak of and take the objectives around the RvR areas, that was fun. :huh:

Ah yes... AutoAssault, I remember that one. Was not in the beta... but I did buy it... the collectors edition even... ;) I played for... 3 days? Something like that atleast, and then that was that, put it permanently on the shelf. As a game concept there was a lot of potential... but yeah, they screwed up pretty badly. I was interested in the game because I did like the Twisted Metal games... but it was mainly the Car Wars table top game (or floor game... where ever you had room basicly to set it up), which me and a friend played during the last 3rd of the 90's, that made me interested in AutoAssault. Man... Car Wars... that was a fun game... suddenly feel an urge to play it again. :D

And yeah, I agree. MWO's dev's does seem to show the right signs here, so I have some good hopes for the game. Not to mention that the few combat videos I have seen so far does seem to show a proper MechWarrior Sim game, with proper movement, and the right "heavyness" to the movement of each mech size, and all that... which is as it should be. I guess the people who have goten into the beta could denie or confirm this.

Edited by Grimm Wulf, 28 May 2012 - 04:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users