August 3049 - Periphery Action (Op Rev) - What do IS actually see this year?

8 replies to this topic

#1 DJ x

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hello fellow Mechwarriors.

(SPOILER ALERT FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT THE STORY TO UNFOLD DURING THE GAME)

Quick question - what do the IS folk see this year/this month? the periphery action begins shortly and I am aware that some time this month IS Mercs the Kell Hounds get absolutely annihilated (Including the venerable Phalen Kell, future Khan blablabla).

When do IS forces discover this? What info do they obtain?

I cant find that info anywhere...I'm wondering if anyone knows.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

They will only discover it when the invasion officially begins in 3050.

Right now, they don't give a damn about Periphery.

#3 DJ x

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

Its the fact that one of the most Decorated IS Merc units gets wiped out this month by the Clans - surely someone would launch an investigation.

Edited by djxinator, 06 August 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

View Postthontor, on 06 August 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

I'm guessing that we basically mysteriously lose contact with those worlds, and nobody knows what's going on.. and nobody cares enough to go check it out heh

but i havent read the novels or anything, so i don't know exactly

It is not so much 'mysterious'. These are bandit kingdoms mostly. Communications being taken out, etc is a common occurance, and yeah few really know or care about the Periphery people. The best the IS populations/Houses get is that something is raiding the Periphery, nothing new. A few merchants and such who do get their way back to the Sphere, maybe by jumping out of system as the 'mysterious' forces jump in. Most just think it is some new band of pirates. Even then due to jumpship travel time and such a lot of these rumors end up arriving right near when the Clans initiate the first wave of Operation Revival.

View Postdjxinator, on 06 August 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Its the fact that one of the most Decorated IS Merc units gets wiped out this month by the Clans - surely someone would launch an investigation.

It is not a Merc unit that gets taken out, it is only a battalion, and even the Kell Hounds really had no idea what happened to Phelan. The only ones who really have an idea are ComStar, Who iirc intercepted the footage from the BattleROM of Phelan's Wolfhound and sent it back to Terra. The Clans end up being contacted by ComStar and instead of warning the rest of the coreward Houses, they keep contacvt with the Clans and help them.

#5 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well the Kell Hounds only really lost a few units, although I'm certain Morgan Kell is very interested in what's happening in the Periphery. The rest of the Inner Sphere probably figured they were killed by the pirates they were fighting and that the rumors from the Periphery are just an aggressive pirate group causing a little trouble.

#6 DJ x

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 06 August 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

It is not so much 'mysterious'. These are bandit kingdoms mostly. Communications being taken out, etc is a common occurance, and yeah few really know or care about the Periphery people. The best the IS populations/Houses get is that something is raiding the Periphery, nothing new. A few merchants and such who do get their way back to the Sphere, maybe by jumping out of system as the 'mysterious' forces jump in. Most just think it is some new band of pirates. Even then due to jumpship travel time and such a lot of these rumors end up arriving right near when the Clans initiate the first wave of Operation Revival.

It is not a Merc unit that gets taken out, it is only a battalion, and even the Kell Hounds really had no idea what happened to Phelan. The only ones who really have an idea are ComStar, Who iirc intercepted the footage from the BattleROM of Phelan's Wolfhound and sent it back to Terra. The Clans end up being contacted by ComStar and instead of warning the rest of the coreward Houses, they keep contacvt with the Clans and help them.

CoffiNail, you seem to have answered my question. I couldn't find the info anywhere.

I'm glad that its been answered as it was bugging me that IS didn't find out through some means - I now know why - Bloody ComStar...

Cheers!

#7 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Wiped out? IIRC Phelan Kell lost a single batallion (3 companies, 9 lances) to the Clanners and was captured, but not before broadcasting his combat data, which ComStar picked up. And decided to keep it secret for the most part.

At that time the Kell Hounds had two full regiments, meaning anywhere between 6 and 10 batallions.

Afterwards the Kell hounds played a major role in the battles of Twycross and Luthien, both major turning points in the Clan War.

#8 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

So this means that a couple times a week someone is going to create a new thread about the clans in the periphery?

Edited by Skylarr, 06 August 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostSkylarr, on 06 August 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

So this means that a couple times a week some is going to create a new thread about the clans in the periphery?

Yep

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users