167 replies to this topic

#41 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Well I'm sure more info might change this but "modules" instead of a new concept sound exactly like "slots" at a glance. Might not be bad either way but the does open lots of customization questions... Nice that we get C3 now though, just hope it doesn't become standard across the board. Does make me wonder if seeing target's status will be limited in range...

Unit's that aren't mechs giving us info? YAY!!! Possibly AI support units (tanks/infantry/etc)? I think it'd be devious if we could utilize informants but I suppose beacons are about the same.

One thought about the Satcom option though...very few satellites are directly overhead and are usually at an angle. I think that would be interesting for LOSD if they were at random angles per game. You could hide from them...but only if you knew from where.

Like the personal detection modes too. I imagine thermal through a building would have limited range though... Seismic would be nice too though maybe redundant with thermal.

#42 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostDihm, on 04 January 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Modules, interesting. I don't know how I feel about them taking up no critical space and having no weight. Without more info though, I'll stand on the cautiously optimistic side and put my questions about it in the Q&A. ^_^

Targeting: It sounds like it will end up being more true to the table top rules, based on the new system.

Also... I guess night vision confirms that they will have time-of-day variations on the different maps! Awesome. I hate it when every match is high noon.

Thought the same thing but then he said

"Players can insert modules of their choice, provided they have space."

Wonder what "space" means in this context.

#43 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 04 January 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ah, then I assume he was talking about the "Magnetometer", which I guess is basically the "MagSec" that they describe in the novels..

Correct, actually using our terrain for something more than "HA I blocked a PPC" interests me. I can't wait to hear someone scream "How in the heck did that flank us?!"

#44 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 04 January 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Most likely means space in the module board. I'm currently imagining the module board as a box with a grid in it, perhaps 4x4 or whatever. You insert the modules into this box.

#45 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 04 January 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

I'm guessing that completely separate from the "internal" critical spaces there will be a set number of module racks that will vary from mech to mech or be unlockable by XP.

#46 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 04 January 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Most likely means space in the module board. I'm currently imagining the module board as a box with a grid in it, perhaps 4x4 or whatever. You insert the modules into this box.

I also bet that different modules will take up different amounts of space too. C3 Slave might take one slot while C3 master takes up 3.

#47 Oreic

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

Im really liking this module idea, it kinda goes along with adapting Battlet chs view of the future to our current level of tech and our current view of what the future might hold. I always thought it was funny how targeting computers weighed so much in the "future" I understand it was for balancing and what not but it was lame. With this module system im thinking that the better modules take up lots of space so you cant have a bunch of the best like say a targeting computer and an advandced ECM Suite or something like that. Also maybe itll be like Chromehoumds or Armored Core in that this modules can alter the basic funtions of the Mech suchs as weapon accuraacy, torso rotaion speed and the actual speed of the unit, ofcoirse each benefit should have a draw back similar to Chromehounds. Anyways just my 2 cents

#48 Roh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, US

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Sounds really cool! Assuming you don't fubar it like world of tanks and their camo system. No invisible Warhammers hitting me with five gause rounds before I finally detect him fifteen feet away behind a shrub.

#49 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Sounding better and better all the time.

#50 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

One issue, though:
I thought MagSec (Magnetometer) was supposed to be nearly useless in an urban setting (due to all the metal in the buildings)? I understand that seeing throuhg buildings was just an example, but it may have been a poorly chosen one if Magnetometer works much like MagSec was described.

Edited by Orzorn, 04 January 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#51 John Dragon

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

This module system sounds awsome, but now I'm curious what other tasks support units can do for you now that we have conformation of them. *sigh*, only time will tell

#52 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

Wow. All thats sounds great. The modules seem like an interesting concept as well.
I love the idea of having more fog of war. Should make encounters with the enemy even more intense.
Sounds like light mechs truely will have an established role as well.
Is it summer yet?

#53 Glorius

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPesht, Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Actually we have two roles: Scouts with good recon stuff and Anti-scouts with ECM, dummies etc. I'm sure, enemy scouts become a first (if not primary) target on the battlefield.

#54 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Great!

Love the modules, the way you link them to the Warrior/Pilot - no boating!?
You don't plan to mess with the abilities, any given players performances and skills, but support diversity!
No fuzzy dice - but choices!

Großartig - smart and stirring in a way Mechwarrior wasn't before.
An envisage of what Mech combat should be. A system to grow, complexion without any complications.

Love it! Skill is back in Mechwarrior.

S!

Edited by Odin, 04 January 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#55 LaorDeLove

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

What about a smoke grenade launcher since LOSD will be such an important aspect. If a scout mech launched a round off to escape an incoming Assault lance, (lets say the smoke lasts 15 to 30 seconds, lets also say thermal has a range of 100 -150 meters, lets also say that the grenade is either fairly rapid in fire or has a large eof, lets also say the smoke stops or limits SAT and UAV tracking means) this would by the scout enough of a chance to run for the hills or hide and power-down. Will something like this be added to make the game more challenging?

#56 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Just to re-iterate.. if you want to ask questions about Information Warfare, this is the place to do it.

#57 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

So long Big Red Box of Targeting...you will not be missed.

#58 nano

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBeavercreek, OH

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

sweet, sweet stuff...

#59 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

The module system is only for HUD and interface elements, right? Not weapons, ammunition, or heat sinks?

#60 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

I like the look of this so far, but I am slightly apprehensive about the nature of "modules."

I hope that the way it works is that there is a "standard" electronics suite, that does everything, but nothing well. Players would be able to swap out modules to better suit their role in battle. For example, a Catapult pilot may swap out their standard targeting sensors for one that can take accept targeting data from a spotter, thus allowing them to use indirect fire. Said spotter might have removed their ECM module for a targeting sensor that works with the Catapult's module to increase LRM accuracy, at the expense of being more visible on the battle grid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users