Highlander IIC Miniature Question

12 replies to this topic

#1 Friend Fox

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Now that I am back home for the summer, I have finally got around to building the CBT Minis I bought a while back. Anyways I am almost around to my favorite 'Mech, and noticed that there are no antennae in the little package. Both the TRO picture and some pictures of some other people's have antennae on the head.

http://www.sarna.net...ghlanderiic.jpg
http://www.exodus-ro..._IWM_20-936.jpg

Are people able to add them through creative use of flash or other means, or did I lose these very small parts? Could anyone who owns one or knows someone who does let me know?

Either way I am very much enjoying the process thus far and am almost finished assembling everyone. With the easy part out of the way I'm sure painting them will be just as fun as well, even though I have no idea what I'm doing! (Hint hint, painting tips welcome ;))

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Highlander IIC, 20 July 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#2 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

You are not missing anything, most minis do not have antennae even if they have a mount for them.

As for painting well doing two or three coats over a single coat typically allows one to preserve more of the detail. if you have watercolors this is easy to do, just add some water to the paint, mix and then apply it to the mech.

A easy trick to do that allows raised edges to show up is to dry brush them, basically get a light colored paint, and put a little on the brush and then brush off as much of it as possible on a item you do not need to paint (like a paper plate or something you do not mind getting messy). When theirs almost no paint left, go over the unit lightly this should only apply a small amount of paint over the raised areas.

#3 Eisencruz

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Aw man I used to have that mini. I wish I knew where it was.

#4 Buda

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationViña del Mar, Chile, Sol 3 (aka: Terra)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hi.

I recomend that you go to http://www.camospecs.com
There is an special section called "How to's" where you can find lots of examples and guides to paint mechs.

For antennas, I recomend a couple tooth brush strings (I don't know how to call them).
Here is a Raven I did not so long ago. You can see that the scale is quite realistic for an antenna.

Posted Image

I'll be happy to answer any question you'll have.

Regards!

Edited by Buda, 20 July 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#5 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

For antennae you can use any number of things ranging from thin steel, heavy fishing line or toothbrush/other bristles. After 20+ years of pin-****** I recommend anything except steel.

#6 Friend Fox

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. Headed out of town this week but I will definitely check out these options when I get back.

#7 Burnsidhe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Ral Partha (and its successor, Iron Wind Metals) used to include little pieces of steel in the packages. I didn't realize what they were for until after a year or so, and then I realized, wow, that really sucks. Because the antenna 'mounts' were rarely deep enough for a good hold, which meant the first time you played with the 'mech mini, the antenna was likely to fall off and be lost.

#8 shuboy

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Often you would need to drill your own hole for antennas. The books specifically mention having a pin drill like what jewelers use for making those holes.

#9 Burnsidhe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

I know that *now*. Before there were "How to paint and assemble Battlemechs" pages in the rulebooks, (a relatively recent thing), there was absolutely no instruction manual. You were somehow supposed to intuit that the extraneous little piece of steel was supposed to be the whip antenna.

I suppose that model builders and wargamers who'd been doing WW2 tabletop would find it old hat, but to someone absolutely new to assembling miniatures, it was not an intuitive, obvious concept.

#10 Daetrin Voltari

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

I recommend boar's hair or natural bristle brushes for antennae.

You can usually find one for a few bucks at a hardware store and it will last for the rest of your life. The bristles are the right size for antennae and they take dye and paint well so it's easy to mach your paint job. Unlike steel wire, they are easy to cut and easy to apply. Just use tweezers and a dab of super glue. It also helps that they are flexible enough not to stab yourself but rigid enough to stand up.

#11 Jack Mitchell

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've used "hairs" from cheapo hair brushes you can buy almost anywhere and they worked fine but like has been said, you usually have to deepen the holes and use a dab of superglue.

#12 Valdr_Skeggjoar

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationWishing that these mech's where real not just on paper.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

I went BALLS to the wall with my mini's, all 624 of them, (my uncle melted and pored the ralidium and lead metals into the molds for FASA) I cut arms and legs off and put pins in them after painting.So that they are poseable. I used modelers modeling tool, files, jewelers saw and very small drill bits. the pins I cut from tiny bradnails they used to use for picture frame backs. You know the ones that you need the magnetic hammer to hold it for hammering. The antennas where from a roll of.007 diam. wirefeed welding wire.

#13 ragnarawk

• PipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 55 posts
  • Locationnorth east tennessee

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

boar hair works well for antena's its stiff enuff to stand but wont break if bent. can order it from most hobby stores.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users