18 replies to this topic

#1 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

While I'm sure some of us still play MechWarriors, not all of us still do, and are waiting to begin playing again when MechWarrior Online hits. Personally, I think this is the wrong mentality to have. We are Steiner pilots, as such during our free time we ought to be training, shaking the rust off of our mechs and re familiarizing ourselves with them. We will do this through pre arranged scrims, sharing build information, and brushing up on our lance tactics.

Download the MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries client at this address, as I'm sure you all know, it is free.

http://www.mektek.ne...downloads-r1204

Anyone interested in offering a ventrilo, or willing to consider the possibility of forming a Steiner community ventrilo, please say so in the thread. If this means paying a little bit of money for server maintenance, I am more then willing to provide some financial support, as I'm sure many of us are.

Edited by Gattling Fenn, 06 January 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#2 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

After looking around found some old disks. Hoping these are what we're talking about here.

Would someone confirm the order of install;
  • MW: Mercenaries disks 1&2
  • MW: Vengeance disks 1&2
  • MW: Black Knight
Have a 20man vent that hosts mainly static. Can be available.

EDIT: Okay, after downloading the files and even a hi-res pack it looks like all is running well for solo mode. Will check out the Steiner link below later this week.

QUESTION (I hate doing and seeing that ;) but.. ): Are variants allowed and will we be using "present tech" variants to get a better feel for what should be in MWO? And will we take it on honor that we all only have a half load of ammo? Other "beyond 3050" tech not used or removed as much as possible?

Edited by Morashtak, 15 January 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#3 ThunderSquid

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'm not sure if it matters, but if it does, Vengeance would need to go on before Mercs. That being said, I think the expansions were stand-alones, which would mean that you don't need Vengeance at all to play them.

#4 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, Vengeance is not required, Mercenaries is stand alone.

#5 Lord Banshee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 355 posts
  • LocationChi-Town IL

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

The order of appearance would be Vengeance, BK, Mercs. IS and Clan packs added to taste.

I echo Gatt's sentiment. I'd rather we all pwnd the IS to the point where the devs need to reboot it anew.
Let's sharpen our twitch and accuracy skills before this thing takes off.
Apparently you gain lots more Faction points if your team wins the conflicts. Maximize our time at the game by learning to win as a team consistently.

Seems like the game mechanics will mirror World of Tanks a bit. They have 15-per-side, 15minute kill-all or capture-the-base games with scouting, increasing ladders of tougher tanks and pay2win/FtP elements. That game uses line-of-sight and radio-comlinking as well. Learning their scouting and tank destroyer LoS avoiding skills should help us. Keeping sharp on sniping should help too.

I implore you all to load these old Mech games and try this tank MMO and get into better gaming shape if you haven't already.
Let the Clanners get caught with their pants down. That's not the Steiner way. :P

#6 Prince Ian Davion

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

The Skye Rangers have set up a training day on MWLL as well as a brand-spankin' new Teamspeak 3 server. :ph34r:

#7 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

There has been a 24/7 House Steiner TS Server up since 2009ish. You can find details of the TS Server and MW4 Game Server at the House Steiner Website: http://forum.housesteiner.com/

Solaris Assault Tech

#8 Lord Banshee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 355 posts
  • LocationChi-Town IL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

http://www.mektek.ne...-require-discs/
will guide you through the trials and tribulations of a full install of MekTek's latest and greatest.
I run Windows 7-64bit and set the config for my dual NVidia GTX460s.
Sooooo nice to hear the funky Mercs music loop again.

Quickly created my sniper training mech (BlacKnight w/ 2xERPPC, 2xClanGauss, 75spd, 5 sinks) and config'd my handpad commands.
Ran waves of single mechs (like bloodasp) until I could kill with 3 straight alpha strikes to CenterTorso at range 500ish on the run.

Feels like home again :D

#9 Wild Hog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Just FYI: The old MW discs are no longer needed, and are not compatible with the free version from MT. Links, instructions, and some tech support are available via the above mentioned website.......possibly more than a handfull of eager to lance pilots as well! The site and forums are maintained by volunteers who also provide a TS3 server, please be patient if it takes a day or two, or if any questions are asked (these guys have real life obligations too). Once granted access, please feel free to drop in on comms and introduce yourself.

Wild Hog
1st Royal Guard
House Steiner

#10 Valcoer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII Silesia

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I dont think I can bust this much rust off my mech anyone know a good supplier of used mechs?

#11 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostValcoer, on 13 February 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

I dont think I can bust this much rust off my mech anyone know a good supplier of used mechs?

I can get you what you need... only thing is how much credit you have...

#12 Kallende Rathwynne

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSouthern United States

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

For Mech Design purposes outside of Mercenaries, I am a fan of the Drawing Board program. It is small, streamlined, and very true to oldschool mech designing. Will be DLing the client tomorrow, look forward to hooking up with everyone.

Long Live the Archon Princess!

#13 Lord Banshee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 355 posts
  • LocationChi-Town IL

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

A quick note to say, "If you're gonna replay the old games -- do so 1st-person please." I'm doing that now and it's a culture shock, as I played them 3rd-person. Highly recommended.

#14 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Was a little concerned with how rusty I am (last Mechwarrior I played extensively was 3, and that was ages ago) so I'm training in MW:LL with the Rangers. My performance so far has been...well, laughably bad. Even with the keyboard map next to me, I was struggling to remember what did what, and for some reason the in-game voice chat didn't work for me at all (though TS does). :)

I'm sucking slightly less every time, though. Suppose that's the important thing.

#15 Dustein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 357 posts
  • LocationX: -304.07 Y: 291.54 (Lyran Alliance - Australia)

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I am all for traning Vs real people. I have MW4MersMekTekMp3. Name a time (+/-GMT) and i'll join with our without a Vent server ;)

#16 Lord Banshee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 355 posts
  • LocationChi-Town IL

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Love to join you and the Rangers, Lina, but I'm sick of seeing "Server Authentication Failed (3)" on each server. Gets old after awhile.
In-hand copy of CryMaxEdition, all code installed correctly, got my gamespy-id, even dashed-up my registry keycode. Nada.

#17 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yep, looks like just about everyone's had that same issue, or something similar. If you got it through Steam, it'll keep trying to grab the dashless version of the keycode from their servers. Apparently you need to make the key read-only.

Apologies if you've tried this, and it didn't work, but Step 1 (both parts) of this thread explains how to do it, and finally got me working after a couple days' frustration: http://forum.mechliv...p?topic=11726.0

#18 Lord Banshee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 355 posts
  • LocationChi-Town IL

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the linkies; they are similar to the ones I found myself.
Looks like it's a case of EA printing Keys on their manuals that just don't work. Neither the Crysis nor the Warhead key work on stock Crysis Wars (never mind MW:LL). Sent an email to beleaguered EA/Origin support, for all the good that'll do.
(Note, they actually emailed back and told me how to backup my registry ROFL, no help on the issue, just "backup your registry")

Epilogue: Ended up calling EA Support after it was clear emailing wasn't going to get it done. Caught a rep named Gabby who gave me a new CD Key and now I'm in MW:LL :( So kudos to EA phone support -- 1-650-628-1001 -- I called at around 7pm CST on a Tuesday and it took about 10-15 minutes to catch her, and about 15 more to resolve it.

So... I walk into MW:LL, after installing all and updating. I appear as the BA. Decide to buy the Osiris-C. Go down the wrong ramp, don't see it. Go back up, go down another ramp which I thought was "1" -- Get the notice that my Mech Has Been Disassembled! Down to 30k cbills. Screwed. <insert rage-face here> Even after reading the basic guide, had no clue this was going to happen...

So I hop out of the server and then pop back in. Miraculously, I get my starting amount of cbills back. So I go down to mechbay 1 and THEN buy my stuff. Get to see the mech being "created". OK, there it is. Now I guess I gotta jump into it. So I use the jump button. There's a highlighted "Enter". I hit my re-mapped "enter" key, which is forwardslash. Nothing. Hit "f". Nothing. I'm doing a bloody tap-dance on my osiris (harder than you'd think), with the Highlighted message "Enter" laughing at me. Literally pounding on the / and F keys. Nothing... until the mech vaporizes (of course, because that's what mechs do, ya know) and apparently I fall to my death, since the screen jumbles, gets fuzzy and I see "suicide" light up on the respawn. Yea, right.

Turns out, that I unwittingly applied "forwardslash" to 'use/get-in/eject' while in Actionmapper, and ASSUMED that it, you know, knew what the "/" key was. Nope, buzz, bad answer, Actionmapper had no clue what my "/" key was -- you could pound it all day and never register. So, always test your keypress out before you assign it... <sigh>

Edited by Lord Banshee, 20 March 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#19 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

I should probably get back to my training as well. Got myself a new joystick a while ago and haven't tested it yet. Did a run through the games some time ago, but most of my time was spent on MW4 Mercs with the Mektek changes. Also had some time in the Mech Corp sim pods around here. Looking into MWLL as well to check it out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users