Abandon ship! Need new rig. Plz critique?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ramius Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 159 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

So after exhausting all the optimization and overclocking options I can think of, I've decided I have to abandon hope in my Samsung RC512-S02 and its GT 525M gpu. It's just not going to cut it for my gaming needs. Which are:

Dedicated gaming rig for MWO, Planetside 2, Battlefield 3
High to Ultra graphics options with decent FPS 30-50 (doesn't have to be maxed but smooth)
Moderate overclockability
Good heat management for above (plus I live in Vegas it's flippin hot here)
Room for upgrades (incl pos SLI down the line)
Reasonable price point 1.2-1.5k

To that end, I've come up with the following specs. Please give me any feedback or suggestions for price vs performance improvements.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($75.98 @ Outlet PC)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.55 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.98 @ NCIX US)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($144.98 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.65 @ Amazon)

[EDIT] FML should've let Newegg get the extra $40 or so for the whole order instead of giving Amazon the order for the case, HDD, OS and cpu to save a few bucks. Newegg order placed 07/21 all of it arrives today. Amazon order placed same day at almost the same time still has yet to make it out of processing. =P Oh well. Lesson learned. Guess I'll hafta start a Look at My New Build thread to pass the time.

(NCIX was out of stock on some and, having never used em, I didn't get a good feeling from their website about their reliability.)

Edited by Ramius Hazen, 24 July 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#2 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

looks pretty good, my only suggestion would be looking for a modular power supply, but that's more of a personal preference. The noctua cooler is one of the best air heatsinks out there, from what I've seen, so you should be down for some moderate overclocking indeed.

#3 Hellgardia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLoures, Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Since you have the budget room for it i would go for the Asus P8Z77-V instead of that Asus P8Z77-V LK .

You can also put an SSD for you OS and most used programs - OCZ Agility 4 128GB 2.5" - 94.99$

Cheers

Edited by Aniquilator6, 21 July 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#4 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

Change the motherboard too http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157298

For solid state drives either look at Crucial M4 here http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148442
Or Samsung here http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147163

Those are the 2 best drives on the market.

On personal preference i would swap the RAM too http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231428
But thats just personal preference.

Your other option is to drop the Ivybridge chip and back down to sandybridge 2500K, the reason here is if you intend to overclock, the 2500k will overclock higher at lower temperatures which is fairly important.
And both chips will give very very similar gaming performance.

Edited by DV McKenna, 22 July 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#5 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

I'm running a 2500K right now, truly a beast of a cpu, haven't gotten around to OC'ing yet, has power to spare at stock speeds :) .

As a personal preference, here's the case I'm using:

http://www.newegg.co...via%20x-jupiter

$55.00, ATX full tower, stabilizing feet, comes with 1x front intake fan, 1x side intake fan, 2x rear exhaust fans, has a mounting point for a top "blowhole" exhaust fan, all 120mm, extremely well built, internal storage bay for unused drive rails, supports damn near every front i/o connection you can get, roomy, and has two heat probes with front lcd temp display, and intake/exhaust fan speed control *****.

EDIT: why in the hell is k-n-o-b-s getting censored?!?!

Edited by Majorfatboy, 23 July 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#6 Ramius Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 159 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Nice case, Major. Yeah, the lack of an external temp display is the only regret I have about my proposed loadout. But, since I'm not OCing right off the bat (except for the GTX 670 FTW which is factory OCed) I figure I can do without for the time being. I also chose not to go with any additional 120mm case fans to start with. We'll see how the rig does in the Vegas heat under extreme gaming duress and go from there. I don't mind keeping my apt at 80-82 degrees. Seems cool to me when it's 105+ outside. But electronics sometimes disagree.

#7 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostMajorfatboy, on 23 July 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

I'm running a 2500K right now, truly a beast of a cpu, haven't gotten around to OC'ing yet, has power to spare at stock speeds :D .

As a personal preference, here's the case I'm using:

http://www.newegg.co...via%20x-jupiter

$55.00, ATX full tower, stabilizing feet, comes with 1x front intake fan, 1x side intake fan, 2x rear exhaust fans, has a mounting point for a top "blowhole" exhaust fan, all 120mm, extremely well built, internal storage bay for unused drive rails, supports damn near every front i/o connection you can get, roomy, and has two heat probes with front lcd temp display, and intake/exhaust fan speed control *****.

EDIT: why in the hell is k-n-o-b-s getting censored?!?!

Wow, don't mean to hijack a thread but that does look very nice. How are the cable support/wrangling features of the case?

#8 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Strangely enough, there aren't any. At least nothing specifically for cable routing. I just do what you with any old case: Route and strap cable bundles to the nearest metal support beam, frame, or mounting hard point with zip-ties.

Cable routing isn't much of an issue with a case of this size, though. Even with all of the bundles just hanging about there's still plenty of airflow and room to work.

#9 MoonDawgNOR

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Nice setup, However I join in with the SSD'ers..

If you can find room for it in your budget, it will vastly improve your experience with the system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users