Established 'clans' from other games

3 replies to this topic

#1 Horror

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Why is there such a lack of clans/guilds/corps from other MMO's be they WoT, WoW, EVE etc

Everywhere I look I see legions of people keen to join groups that adhere to canon, with the names to boot, but where are the people who have just simply enjoyed playing MW games in the past, or who relish the chance to get into a 40 odd ft robot chicken and blow people away?

what is the interest out there? or the 'taboo' reasons why there is no interest, in a group forming that has no canonical reference, simply the intention to have a bunch of people on TS having fun in an organised fashion with goals developing as the game progressing, rather than simply sitting back and awaiting timelines to unfold.

cheers
- Horror

#2 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

There's lots of them out there, they just aren't as involved in the faction forums, or the recruiting, it seems.

I know two units I used to be part of have already popped up over here, though one technically did get its start back in MPBT: Solaris before going on to other games.

I can only speak for myself, but I wanted a unit that was focused only on this game, and not a "multi-gaming clan". Those tend to be too ephemeral in their interest in games, in my experience. Thus, why we started our own unit that, while not a role-playing group, at least tries to mesh a bit with the lore, which we all enjoy, behind this game.

There is interest in what you mention, but they just don't seem to have the drive (on the whole) as people who are more invested in Battletech.

#3 00dlez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

^ Mostly this

The games you mentioned have no massive offline universe or decades of playing history, the people most excited and active in the game are going to be people most excited with the lore and canon aspects of the game (for the most part, anyway).

There are plenty of non-canon organizations out there, but they tend to be (and I apologize for using the term, but I think it applies) more casual about the game than the canon fans are.

Esentially, there are those who, like you see this as an interesting, f2p, robot pow-pow game, and there are others who have literally been waiting a decade for a new game experience and are jumping feet first.

In the months after the official launch, I would expect to see the number of non-canon units explode as peoplewho have never heard about BT before discover the game.

#4 Ballentimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 319 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

founded in 2001 - we came from mechwarrior 3 to mechwarrior 4, then söldner, guild wars, lotro, star trek, swkotr and some other games

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users