Early death in a 20 minute match.

600 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawn preference (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preference for respawning?

1. No Spawn (170 votes [46.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. Hybrid - Destroying your mech brings financial and xp strife (47 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. Free Spawn - I hate waiting, and I want to shoot stuff (16 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. Separate Servers - Let people play how they want, as long as I don't have to play with them (60 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

5. Limited Spawn - You get to spawn 3 times. If you lose all 3 in the first 5 minutes, you deserve to wait. (51 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

6. I don't care - You all are too emo (22 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

Vote

#281 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

You made a valid point with the pilot being "incapacitated" in the match, I was just pointing out that we will, in fact, be gaining experience on individual mechs. :ph34r:

#282 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostKhushrenada, on 12 January 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

still you have one part that simply cant be put into another battle before the last one is over. even WoT wont allow you to use the same tank immediately again when your last battle isnt over yet.

and why stating that "you can reserve your unique pilot name by registering" when you can have more than one pilot at one account which you would need to re-deploy in another battle immediately again?

Cloning of course!

Dude, we got the 23rd century, so cloning is all the latest craze. Where do you think all those respawned-formerly-dead pilots come from? Clones! Right after the nascent Star League bought the rights to their cloning technology from an obsucre company in Iceland/Terra which went by the name of "CCP", it became widespread. And is still today.

*Daily Holo-Star mode*

You think Victor Steiner-Davion and Omi Kurita really had that somewhat chaste and romantic relationship? Ha, if you just knew...! Sources deep inside the DC indicate that was a clone specifically set up to dupe the midg... errr... Davion heir! The true Omi Kurita ran a somewhat shady leather&latex parlor and was known as the infamous "Mistress UrbanMech" in reality! Well known in the amusement districts of Luthien, no less. (Unless that was yet another clone...)

And how do you think the Word of Blake all of sudden became a massive power to be reckoned with? A few heretics forcing a schism inside ComStar? As if... a secretly bred army of Conrad Toyama clones, that is the secret noone dares talk about! More about the dirty secrets of the bold&the beautiful in the Inner Sphere will be available from our reporters soon in our next issue...

*/Daily Holo-Star mode*

C_u_m grano salis... :ph34r:

Edited by Dlardrageth, 12 January 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#283 alVolVloLy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostRavn, on 12 January 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

"Like" Dlardrageth ( i ran out of likes apparently). I was totally going to bring up the UA thing in respawn. Anyway, respawners... you have yet to prove how information warfare is going to be effective if I have to deal with waves of you. Enlighten me.

You could always bring extra ammo.

Regarding information warfare, don't you know where the last guy just got killed anyway? After the initial engagement the cat is out of the bag anyway, the enemy knows where you are. Please explain how waves or respawn ruins this.

#284 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

You answered your own question there. The enemy knows where I am after the initial contact... so the first part of the game is about information and electronic warfare. If this doesn't set the stage to cause victory or defeat, it is useless to me. Information warfare is useless with respawn. Can I get a "like" in this mother-?

#285 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostalVolVloLy, on 12 January 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

You could always bring extra ammo.

Regarding information warfare, don't you know where the last guy just got killed anyway? After the initial engagement the cat is out of the bag anyway, the enemy knows where you are. Please explain how waves or respawn ruins this.

so you assume, that in every match all lets assume 12 pilots will move in a big merry group?
if so, that team will always fail against an enemy team that has at least some talent. also if you play similar games (i really DO hate to say that out loud....) like WoT, such behaviour will only occour in like 1 of 50 battles. in most matches there are at least 2 groups of players that move together if not 3, depends on the map.
correct me if im wrong, since i stoped playing that game some months ago already.

besides the information of the enemy position decays over time, so if the enemy is not totally stupid and stays at that position, waiting for the enemy to come and get him, he will be long gone before the big slow merry group arrives at that position :ph34r:

#286 alVolVloLy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

Sorry, I forgot to quote the post I was replying to.

[color=#959595]You answered your own question there. The enemy knows where I am after the initial contact... so the first part of the game is about information and electronic warfare. If this doesn't set the stage to cause victory or defeat, it is useless to me. Information warfare is useless with respawn. Can I get a "like" in this mother-?"[/color]

You haven't explained how respawn ruins information warfare though. Up until that first death, everything is the same no-respawn or respawn. How does one respawned mech suddenly ruin this? You still have to contend with the rest of his team, who respawn or not, know where you are positioned.

Edited by alVolVloLy, 12 January 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#287 alVolVloLy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostKhushrenada, on 12 January 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

besides the information of the enemy position decays over time, so if the enemy is not totally stupid and stays at that position, waiting for the enemy to come and get him, he will be long gone before the big slow merry group arrives at that position :ph34r:

So how does this ruin information warfare? You just said yourself that the information decays over time, so how does a respawned mech cause any sort of difference in that regard?

#288 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

It doesn't ruin it, It makes scout mechs and sensor packages obsolete.

If everyone is constantly fighting, I have no need for that stuff. Just bring big mechs and big guns. I will glean all the sensor info I need from line of sight info.

Scouts serve a purpose in in BT... find the enemy, provide intel to set the stage for an attack and get the W.

Edited by Ravn, 12 January 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#289 MitchellTyner

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

after seeing the comment about the practice server... I think it should have a respawn. that way you can just hop into a mech and train your skills and pop... die.... get in another and try it some more.

Matches for xp, credits, etc should be handled more tactically and have no respawn. That's like ranked matches and leage matches or matches for planets etc.

Info warfare just won't work with respawn and it's simply going to turn into bf3 with mechs... enough said :ph34r:

Fox

#290 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Glad to see I'm not alone on "no respawns".

If I go down 5 minutes in I'm grabbing another beer from the fridge and listening to the rest of my unit on Vent/Teamspeak.

Though I'm curious as to what the loss/repair mechanics in this game are going to be. I'm hoping they're harsh enough to be meaningful, and we have to stay on the lookout for salvage, etc.

#291 MitchellTyner

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

I prefer light and scout mechs... anything that messes that up irks me b/c I don't want to see 12 assualt mechs on the other team.

#292 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

For territorial battles someone is going to have to be on the offense except for the (hopefully rare) "take out all opposition" scenarios.

Capture "objective" scenarios are going to push the attacker to get moving and over with before real/hypothetical reinforcements arrive. Respawns could be those reinforcements (playing devils advocate here). Respawns (only on defense, scenario dictated tonnage, etc) after x minutes would get the offense moving.

No respawns on defense means they'll need to set up a defensive position quickly or take the fight to the enemy, especially so if the offensive team's win objective is "Destroy the Fuel Depot" (or other permanent facility).

Offensive respawns... hmm... defenders must take out attackers before... but the reinforcements would still arrive... unless landing zone... er... gotta think that through some more.

Personally will still prefer No Re-spawn Mode (NRM) but would understand defensive reinforcements for getting the attackers to attack.

And multiple types of re-spawn options will bring in more players which means more money to the dev team meaning more updates/expacs for all.

How the dev team gets the offense moving is still to be explained but a hard "game over" timer should be one of their last tools to bring to the game.

And really don't believe it's going to be "One Server to Rule Them All." (can I copyright that?)

#293 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostMitchellTyner, on 12 January 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I prefer light and scout mechs... anything that messes that up irks me b/c I don't want to see 12 assualt mechs on the other team.

if i remember correctly, they dont want to implement a max drop displacement... so that might be possible after all, but if that will be of any use to them is the question.

and there the information warfare comes in. bunch of big mechs with big guns, that dont see anything, cause they have no scouts, but beeing highlighted by your own teams` scouts and slowly hammered down (if done properly of cause).

with respawns this game would be like MW4... everyone runs around in a daishi, timberwulf mk2 or atlas (i know, no clan mechs yet :ph34r: ), just walking straight into the enemy line of fire pressing the "alpha-strike"-button time after time trying to land as many hits as they can before dying in the crossfire... if that is how you want to play MWO... well no, thanks.

#294 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

for the love of mike ...

Edited by Zakski, 12 January 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#295 ENDMYSUFFERING

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 180 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'd hate to go against the majority, but in games, I die alot, especially when I'm new to them, so I would not play this game if you had no respawn. That to me just sucks the fun out of everything. "Oh hey, I'm dead because I got jump sniped by a Mad Cat MkII with gauss rifles. I guess I'll wait half an hour to play again." It's an idiotic idea, you might as well go stare at a wall for an hour. :ph34r:

#296 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Well the CLEAR majority wants no respawns. Based on votes. You can add all the other options together and no respawn still has more votes.

That being said, I don't mind a PRACTICE mode for those people that want to get a feel for the game first rather than jump right into the harsh no respawn territory campaign mode. (not sure what to call factions fighting over planets) But I firmly believe while there should be a mode that allows people to just "mess around" on a mech of their choice to get used to controls and the feel of the game, that mode should not have any rewards. If it does then you can only get a limited amount of EXP from that mode I E if there are 20 pilot levels then you can only get 3 of them in "practice" mode.
Khushrenada Summed it up for me.

#297 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostFlametrace, on 12 January 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

I'd hate to go against the majority, but in games, I die alot, especially when I'm new to them, so I would not play this game if you had no respawn. That to me just sucks the fun out of everything. "Oh hey, I'm dead because I got jump sniped by a Mad Cat MkII with gauss rifles. I guess I'll wait half an hour to play again." It's an idiotic idea, you might as well go stare at a wall for an hour. :ph34r:

Play on the practice server until you are comfortable. It's in the dev chats...

Edited by Ravn, 12 January 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#298 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostFlametrace, on 12 January 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostRavn, on 12 January 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Play on the practice server until you are comfortable. It's in the dev chats...

Also the Mad Cat MkII doesn't come out til 3060 so you have nothing to worry about.

Also, shouldn't it technically be the Timber Wolf MkII? *** diamond sharks. ***.

Also, I can't say double you tea eff?? ***.

Edited by Sug, 12 January 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#299 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostKhushrenada, on 12 January 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

[...] in Wot you get your exps on a specific tank, you die go out and take the next tank, no problem.[/size] in MWO you dont get exps on your mech, but on your PILOT. [...]

Sorry man, there is XP for mechs and pilots, read Dev blog 2.

The problem I have for 'multiple respawns' is this.

You die 5-8 times in a match, that means you tottaled 5 - 8 whole battle mechs. How does the repair cost work?
your running a 11.5 mil medidum mech. that is 5 times (57.5 mil) the cost of that one battle mech coming into the fight. In one fight, you will spend as much in repairs as purchasing a whole new assault mech.

With multiple respawn, the repair economy goes out the window and is no longer feasable. You wil lnever make enough in 1 mach to ever *EVER* cover your losses. That is a fact.

Edited by Omigir, 12 January 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#300 CloudCobra

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 87 posts
  • LocationAnchorage,AK

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Wow i really love how people think saying "no offence" makes it ok to say whatever you want to some one. The therm "pathetic'" is insulting. Also i never said that people would stay at the spawn point and not move. What im worried about is an overly defencive play style becoming the norm.

63 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 63 guests, 0 anonymous users