Early death in a 20 minute match.

600 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawn preference (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preference for respawning?

1. No Spawn (170 votes [46.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. Hybrid - Destroying your mech brings financial and xp strife (47 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. Free Spawn - I hate waiting, and I want to shoot stuff (16 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. Separate Servers - Let people play how they want, as long as I don't have to play with them (60 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

5. Limited Spawn - You get to spawn 3 times. If you lose all 3 in the first 5 minutes, you deserve to wait. (51 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

6. I don't care - You all are too emo (22 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

Vote

#501 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostSquareSphere, on 18 January 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Well the latest Q&A, it seems like it will be 1 life per match. Once you're destroyed, you'll be dropped into a spectator mode that has the POV of your living teammates.

I'm sure at that point you'd be able to drop from the match and find another one.

All it says is that when your mech is destroyed, you auto-eject and then you will only see things through your teammates view. Not that you will or won't respawn.

#502 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

I agree with Zakiski, Q&A gave no solid answer as to Yay or Nay for respawn. For all we know there could be a cool down timer before you respawn and you get to ride shotgun and watch while you wait to spawn.

We will have to be sure to try and get an answer on the next Q&A once we get out of Info Warfare month.. or cleverly word the question so they think its a question for Info warfare... :}

#503 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Devs are slipper than a politician ;)

#504 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostZakski, on 18 January 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

All it says is that when your mech is destroyed, you auto-eject and then you will only see things through your teammates view. Not that you will or won't respawn.

sorry, but actually that:

[DAVID] There will be no free roaming spectator mode. Dead players will likely see their destroyed ’Mech for a few seconds and then be able to cycle through the viewpoints of their living allies.

does pretty clearly say you will drop into a spectator mode and thats it. you can watch the game until its end through the eyes of your allies. there is now word of "for some time" or such...

Edited by Khushrenada, 18 January 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#505 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostKhushrenada, on 18 January 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

sorry, but actually that:

does pretty clearly say you will drop into a spectator mode and thats it. you can watch the game until its end through the eyes of your allies. there is now word of "for some time" or such...

Yes, ok, but that is not as finite as you think. Just because they did not mention that you will respawn or not after a while of viewing your allies POV, does not mean they still are not incorporating it.

Topic is still open for debate. Devs did not answer anyting in regards to spawning.

#506 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

doesn't include "until the game ends" either. fact is that tf2 has respawns, but that is exactly what happens while you wait.

#507 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

I mean I wouldn't mind if they just said by this point, because then you could ask questions about map size, how easy it is to kill people, how long do they think games will last, will there just be one round per game or multiple rounds etc with a lot more sense of how the game works

#508 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hmm, you guys have a good point on the spectator thing not truly indication if it's repawn or not. Well at very least it a good indication of no insta respawn.

#509 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostZakski, on 18 January 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

I mean I wouldn't mind if they just said by this point, because then you could ask questions about map size, how easy it is to kill people, how long do they think games will last, will there just be one round per game or multiple rounds etc with a lot more sense of how the game works

They already answered two of those questions. Right now the deves said matches are about 15 - 20 minutes

they also said only 1 round per game <at this time>

#510 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostOmigir, on 18 January 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

They already answered two of those questions. Right now the deves said matches are about 15 - 20 minutes

they also said only 1 round per game <at this time>

Huh, I didn't see the round thing.

They were quite coy with the time limit though, they only mentioned objective matches being that long

#511 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostZakski, on 18 January 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

doesn't include "until the game ends" either. fact is that tf2 has respawns, but that is exactly what happens while you wait.

um... i think when i play tf2 i don`t even stay dead long enough to circle through 2 teammates.... in that case it would not have been worth to mention it.

since they mentioned WoT as one of their games to take inspiration from i think dead = dead until round end. when you are dead there, you can cycle through your allies views and thats it, no respawn there as well.

keep on hoping for respawn if you want, but i won`t give it more than 10% chance anymore (at least not in all game modes).

#512 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostZakski, on 18 January 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Huh, I didn't see the round thing.

They were quite coy with the time limit though, they only mentioned objective matches being that long

They are attempting to set things up so a typical Match would last that long. Without a Count down timer, there is really no way to make a Match last exactly 20 minutes. No word on a timer as of yet.

And like all the other info everyone wants, but isn't getting, the Dev need to keep stuff secret for fear of those folk with Pitch forks and torches and the like. What do you think would happen if they said "MWO will have a "Really wide & Random Cone of Fire" system?

I would not be pretty, not pretty at all. They are looking out for us really. If they wait on some info, there will be less boohoo'ing before launch. LOL! ;)

Edited by MaddMaxx, 18 January 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#513 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

I don't recall where I saw it. I'm sure some one else recalls can tell me if i'm lying or not.

as far as the respawn or not, I think really think they Devs know im most active here recently so they will never tell so I stay stuck in this thread for ever and ever debating this topic! its a conspiracy!

In all reality though, there is no telling what they will do. Despite what I want, if i had to put down an educated guess, its going to be a hybrid system. 3 strikes and your out or just difrent game types that feature a spawn or no spawn and you choose which one suites you when you are looking for missions to join in on.

View PostMaddMaxx, on 18 January 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

[...] Dev need to keep stuff secret for fear of those folk with Pitch forks and torches and the like. [...]! ;)

So how does Paul keep making his way onto the forums!?

Edited by Omigir, 18 January 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#514 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostOmigir, on 18 January 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

I don't recall where I saw it. I'm sure some one else recalls can tell me if i'm lying or not.

as far as the respawn or not, I think really think they Devs know im most active here recently so they will never tell so I stay stuck in this thread for ever and ever debating this topic! its a conspiracy!

In all reality though, there is no telling what they will do. Despite what I want, if i had to put down an educated guess, its going to be a hybrid system. 3 strikes and your out or just difrent game types that feature a spawn or no spawn and you choose which one suites you when you are looking for missions to join in on.

So how does Paul keep making his way onto the forums!?

He wants to keep checking on whether your still stuck in this thread. He knows you got a Pitch Fork see. ;)

Edited by MaddMaxx, 18 January 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#515 Stinger

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

There needs to be a reason to play defensively. There has to be a consequence to rushing into the enemy base and getting killed in the first 2 minutes. Every ding in your armor needs to be a big deal, and saving your own life should be as high of a priority as killing the enemy. I am not going to propose a mechanic (because everyone else here has), but there needs to be consequences, so that surving until the end of the match is an accomplishment in and of itself.

#516 Cataphract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

I could care less what the devs do as long as it's done right. When you start a match so long as neither side can get a LOS bead on the other and spawn snipe I'm fine with or without respawns. Until the devs release more info on what game modes/types there will be there wont be a difinitive answer on whether or not there will or will not be respawns because that decision is heavily based on how the game works in each game mode/type. For now I'll restrain from voting and say if there are multiple game modes/types then allow a choice between whether or not respawns are allowed.

#517 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Ha, I thought this thread was going to be dead for sure, but Omi and Zak found a way. Didn't the devs mention something about more game modes as well?

#518 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

: p its 'cus we know how to run a party! Also, I read the words for what each one means when a Dev types them out, and try not to put to much of what I want into them. Allot of the Devs only answer the question given and try their best to not say anything more then that... and allot of what they do say, is pretty self explanatory XD

Uhm.. i dont recall seeing anything about other game types in *this* Q&A, but they did mention other game types in the last interview i think.

Edited by Omigir, 18 January 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#519 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostOmigir, on 18 January 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

: p its 'cus we know how to run a party! Also, I read the words for what each one means when a Dev types them out, and try not to put to much of what I want into them. Allot of the Devs only answer the question given and try their best to not say anything more then that... and allot of what they do say, is pretty self explanatory XD

Uhm.. i dont recall seeing anything about other game types in *this* Q&A, but they did mention other game types in the last interview i think.

[PAUL]While “listening posts” are not part of our current game modes, it doesn’t mean that they can’t be added fairly quickly to new game modes released soon after launch. We do have hard location objectives that you will be targeting during matches.

Edited by Ravn, 18 January 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#520 Marcus Roland

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRegina Canada

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

I don't know which is perfered. All I have to say is Ive never played a Battletech game with re-spawns. Now i didn't play 3 or 4 so maybe it was there but to me this seems to go against everything MW stands for. I know some newer gamers would like re-spawns but that was have the fun of these Mech games your life mattered. If there is re-spawns i definitely will not be playing that game type. I also think most MW old timers will agree with that.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users