Mad Cat Vs. Warhammer

280 replies to this topic

Poll: MC Vs. W (574 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you think would win in a 1v1 fight?

1. Mad Cat (426 votes [74.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.22%

2. Voted Warhammer (104 votes [18.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.12%

3. Neither (44 votes [7.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostAshla Mason, on 17 May 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

The annoying thing about the timber wolf is that everyone knows it's good, which means that people who have no appreciation for mechs that came before go straight to it and can't appreciate other ones and (much more annoying) disrespect the clan ethics that led to this machines birth.

Well, I'll just throw myself into the bonfire here, as I am one of those annoying players. I came in playing MW2 at my lunch breaks in highschool at a local electronics shop and they had MW2 loaded up on their computers. Ironicly, it was the Stormcrow that I played first, but I quickly did come to enjoy the Timberwolf.

That being said, the first Battletech game I owned/played was Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (IMHO, A superior game to MW2 in every way). It was then I started understanding the lore, and really started to understand how much of a jump Clan tech was from IS, especially once i started playing on Merc net and realized everyone was using clan mechs not due to any real personal bias, but because it was just more practical. Ironicly, once understanding the game, the Timberwolf became a bad choice over-all once you figured out how the hit-boxes worked, and how the legs were a really large hitbox.

Though I've grown up and expanded my understanding of the game and the hundreds of mechs and varients, it's put me at odds with myself in my favoured mechs, and appreciation for each of them.

That being said, I voted Warhammer. I just like the design of it visually better than the Timberwolf, I like that it's better able to provide fire support consistantly where the Timberwolf can only do it for a little while before it runs out of ammo, and the Timberwolf suffers in the MW games because of the placement of it's cockpit, where shooting it in center of mass is pretty much hitting the cockpit, while the Warhammer you need to aim high and when you miss, you're shot isnt guarenteed to drift onto CT as it would the Timberwolf.

Also, Warhammer has SRMs, which in TT was great for finding ways to cause crits while the Timberwolf isnt as effeciant trying to do the same.

I know I keep jumping between TT and MW for comparison, but I think in both cases I like the Warhammer (Particularly IIC) over Timberwolf (Prime config)

#262 Steinerwolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMystical Woodlands of Damp North Pacific

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Mad Cat because its to awesome to fail. :)

#263 phelan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostSug, on 10 January 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

MW4 really ruined an entire generation of mechwarriors. : /

I know this has been quoted like 5 times already in this thread, but I had to do it again.

Sometimes I easily forget that not everyone that plays the Mechwarrior series also hails from a tabletop Battletech background.

#264 Marak Varn

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

I've probably fought this on the table a couple of dozen times. I can't remember much about the clan victories, but I vividly recall both warhammer wins.

The first was a clean headshot that critted the cockpit, and the second was a smack to the leg, followed by the clanner repeatedly failing his check to stand up.

The other thing to add is that the normal quote given is "it's down to the more skilled pilot" well, the table top rules have that covered as well. Clanners get a bonus point to shooting and piloting checks for being that much better trained that IS mechwarriors. As much as I dislike that rule, if we're going by the table top rules, the Timber Cat wins on that test as well...

#265 James Pryde IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

I agree, this is the CLAN section of the forums, Clan names for mechs should be used :blink:

There is even a table in this section showing what the proper Clan names are for our mechs.

Freebirths :)

Edited by JAMESPRYDE, 04 July 2012 - 12:25 AM.

#266 Ardan Blade

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Any reasonably sane mechwarrior knows that a pre-3050 era Warhammer isn't even remotely a match for what is quite possibly the most perfect clan machine engineered in a straight fight. That said, I don't think that a truly skilled pilot or a few advances in tech couldn't make up the difference somewhat.

#267 Dymitry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

In a 1 on 1 fight, healthy mechs, with comparable pilots (even if the Timber Wolf is a first line Omni very likely piloted by an elite trueborn, which is quicker, faster and stronger than his spheroid counterpart.)? Surely it is a joke, quiaff? The only scenario in which the warhammer holds a chance on a Timber Wolf, apart from the extremely odd headshot, is when the TW is unmanned. There is not a single point in which the warhammer gets even close to the Timber Wolf, apart from tonnage. The 'hammer is a decent, effective IS design. In comparison the Timber Wolf is, well a wolf among cats.

#268 Graphite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 10 January 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Timber Wolf, the Warhammer is outmatched in every way no matter the variant.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for the Whammy, but it's totally outclassed by the Madcat, unfortunately.

Test it for yourself in MegaMek.

Here's an at-a-glance comparison between their sustained damage outputs:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I don't need to tell you which is which...

Edited by Graphite, 17 July 2012 - 02:29 AM.

#269 Frost Cobra

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

I personally preferred if you made the poll of Omnimech vs Omnimech. Clan mech vs. Clan mech, Protomech vs Protomech, or Inner Sphere mech vs Inner Sphere mech. I find that this poll heavily weighs unfavorably towards the Timberwolf, especially since Clan tech is vastly superior to Inner Sphere circa 3049.

#270 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

Mad Cat / Timberwolf - Primary Config. 2737 BV with a 4/5 Pilot
Warhammer WHM-6R (Standard TRO Variant): 1299 BV with a 4/5 Pilot.

Not only does the Madcat win, but you'd have to bring at least two Warhammers of the same skill as the Madcat pilot in order to come close to winning against it.

#271 RedFoxsi

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWalnut Creek, Ca

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

face palm ....... really? inner sphere ppc do 10 damage clan large laser =10 damage
look up your stuff sarna.net there is not one warhammer that can beat the timberwolf..
how ever the warhammer is a good mech

#272 Cornelius V Osmond

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOn your internets soon™

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostFlametrace, on 10 January 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

So, after watching the trailer for the game, and thinking quite a bit, I've been wondering which you think would win in a fight, I think the Warhammer would. Even though it doesn't have alot of armor, the Mad Cat has even less, and that cockpit sticking out in front makes it such an easy target, and if you take out it's rocket pods and arms, you can just walk away and it can't really do anything to stop you. Post which you think would win and why.

2ERLL, 2ER ML, 2x20LRM... Even if it just stands there and waits for you to get its arms and pods you still die by headshot/coreing like 2 days before that.

#273 KosherHamSammich

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAwaiting a Jump Ship to Sheridan

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Even if you take away the advantage in piloting skill and gunnery that Clan pilots have over there Inner Sphere cousins, the Timberwolf's speed, jump jets, and longer range/higher damage weapons should make it the winner almost every time.

#274 GonZo626

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationOutreach (Edmonton, Alberta)

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

My answer

http://www.sarna.net...i/Warhammer_IIC

Best of both worlds even if second class to an omni.

#275 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Its called a Timber Wolf... I mean really don't post in the Clan section calling it a Mad Cat thats just ********.

At any rate, Warhammer is a good mech but I've had this fight many times before, the Timber Wolf is a hell of a lot more durable, the Warhammer is a glass canon which yes hurts like hell and sometimes it will down the Timber Wolf, but on average the Timber Wolf can simply dump LRM's and ER LL's a couple times into the Warhammer, removing weapons and life from it.

#276 Scryed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 14 January 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

You people are all so funny!!!!!!!!!!hahaha=NOT.You talking hypothetical Trash your talking rolling dice and speculations the other night we did a Timberwolf Vs Warrhammer2C on gameranger in stock CBT loadouts on various maps and the Timberwolf came out 50% wins then we did custom loadouts and i had a almost 80% win ratio against the Timberwolfs and all of us are good MechPilots.So stop your speculations,voodoo,dicerolling and come online see for yourselfs in realtime PC gameplay which by the way MW:0 will be. Posted Image

P.S refer to my Gameranger Online Challange for install instructions.

Seriously a challenge in mechwarrior 4???

LOLOLOLOLOL

NOTHING in that game is balanced or close at all to the table top.

Now if you said mechwarrior 3 I would have been interested, lol MW:4 HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHH

/wipes tear

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

#277 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

The madcat has almost maxed armor..

#278 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I said it before, and I will say it again:

A better poll would be "Hellbringer Prime vs Warhammer."

Both are under armored, both have twin PPC as their primary damage systems, backed up by medium lasers, machine guns, and an SRM launcher.

#279 Kyryos

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Timberwolf would win

#280 Reani Che

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRus

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Depends on skills and environment, I think.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users