Inner Sphere Conquest Mode?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jaq Savage

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

I was wondering, has their been any mention of this? I played the original Multi-Player Battletech back in the 90's when it ran on the GEnie service. I also was fortunate enough to play Mutli-Player Battletech: Solaris as well when it ran on AOL and later Gamestorm. In the original game that ran on GEnie you basically had perpetual war between the great houses. It was in short, the fourth succession war. You moved your jumpship to a planet, dropped, onto the planet, continued to attack it by running missions (against bots) until eventually you were able to take control of the planet. There were all sorts of strategies involved in this game. You had supply lines that you could cut off and make a planet weaker, etc. It was so much fun. I would so love to see an actual Inner Sphere war like this here. I'm a huge Battletech fan. I've been playing the table top game since it was originally printed as Battledroids. If anyone knows anything about an Inner Sphere war mode for this game, if it's been said whether or not it will make it into the game at some point I would love to know. I am really looking forward to playing this game having played the last two online Battletech games.

#2 Rugarou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 429 posts
  • LocationDown da bayou...

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

Closest thing to this is that house faction units will supposedly be fighting between themselves for control of certain worlds. Merc units can fight for control of certain worlds as well to benifit themselves to some extent. All of this is handled by fighting other players. To this date, there has been no mention by the devs of any NPC units to fight against.

You could read the http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/ and the various dev blogs and Q & A blogs to get more indepth info.

BTW welcome to the forums :)

#3 CloakRogue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostGeaux Tiger, on 14 March 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

Closest thing to this is that house faction units will supposedly be fighting between themselves for control of certain worlds. Merc units can fight for control of certain worlds as well to benifit themselves to some extent. All of this is handled by fighting other players. To this date, there has been no mention by the devs of any NPC units to fight against.

You could read the http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/ and the various dev blogs and Q & A blogs to get more indepth info.

BTW welcome to the forums :)

I am CloakRogue, and I support this message.
Welcome to the forums!

#4 Jaq Savage

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Thanks bud. I had heard about the world battles, but I would love to see that be ramped up into some Inner Sphere conflict. That would be so awesome! I also heard that the game is only launching with 3 lance vs 3 lance battles and and some sort of conflict where you have your own lance and fight with one mech at a time. Got that info from the latest GDC vid.

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostJaq Savage, on 14 March 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

Thanks bud. I had heard about the world battles, but I would love to see that be ramped up into some Inner Sphere conflict. That would be so awesome!

I don't understand. The dev blog matches the things you want, why use "that WOULD..." form instead of "This WILL...", then? :)

Edited by Adridos, 14 March 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#6 Ramrod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 205 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

View PostJaq Savage, on 14 March 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

ramped up into some Inner Sphere conflict

Why? The devs are following the established BattleTech timeline.

The game is set to begin in 3049, and in about one year, the first wave of Operation Revival will penetrate the Inner Sphere, and with it, the game's focus will (one might imagine) shift to Clan vs IS warfare. In the (quite short) timeframe between the guesstimated release and the beginning of the Clan invasion, Inner Sphere conflicts were low-intensity brushfire affairs, winding down from the end of the Succession Wars twenty years earlier. Why would they retcon a huge war into those few months only to have the Clan Invasion overshadow it in March?

Doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Ramrod, 14 March 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostRamrod, on 14 March 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

The game is set to begin in 3049, and in about one year, the first wave of Operation Revival will penetrate the Inner Sphere, and with it, the game's focus will (one might imagine) shift to Clan vs IS warfare. In the (quite short) timeframe between the guesstimated release and the beginning of the Clan invasion, Inner Sphere conflicts were low-intensity brushfire affairs, winding down from the end of the Succession Wars twenty years earlier. Why would they retcon a huge war into those few months only to have the Clan Invasion overshadow it in March?

Wait, so he wants a fictional invasion? That would make sense for me (in regards to my older post). :)

#8 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

I totally support this as an alternative to the main gameplay universe. In World of Tanks for example, you have company/clan battles which are completely non historically accurate.

It's all good!

#9 Jaq Savage

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I see what they are doing guys, and that's cool. I was wondering if things were going to go a bit far. I stopped following the Battletech story after the Clans invaded so I'm not aware of much going on after that. Most of what I am used to with Battletech at least in an online capacity was the fourth succession war played out. I read the helpful link that was posted and it all looks amazing and I'm looking forward to getting in a mech and laying some smack down :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users