99 replies to this topic

#1 Grafvitnir

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

[Please see "Tharkad City Summit Sign-Up" thread before posting.]

Grafvitnir Holmlundsson sighed, extinguished his meerschaum pipe, and looked out across Tharkad City. From this balcony on the upper floors of the Government House he could see across the Triad and the harsh, twinkling lights of the Lyran Commonwealth's Capital, all the way to the distant bulk of Mount Wotan to the west and the icy coastline to the east. The frozen landscape - if nothing else about this place - set his mind at ease for a minute, reminding him of his cold, stormy homeworld of Vekfaren. Were it not for the circumstances of his visit, he would gladly walk along the coast of this world take in its unique beauty under the shifting, shimmering auroras, but for now he had deeply unpleasant business to attend to.

He was here at the request of his superiors in the KungsArme to attend a "Summit in the Spirit of Inner Sphere Cooperation" as it was officially known, though it was more accurately an opportunity for the Lyrans and Fed Suns to flaunt their new "Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth" lest any other powers forget who the toughest kid on the playground was. He found himself feeling useless. No matter whether on his father's farm south of Rundvik and learning to pilot the old Dragon BattleMech he would inherit or at Northwind Academy, or during his first tour with the KungsArme, Graaf had always something to do; a goal to work towards, a skill to master, or simply a fence to be built, but now his purpose was simply... to be present. He found it intolerable.
He was part of a loose delegation from the Free Rasalhague Republic, mostly composed of beaurecrats, mercantilists and minor politicians mainly concerned with maintaining the young nation's precarious neutrality as a buffer state between the Commonwealth and the Draconis Combine, Rasalhague's mutual former masters. Graaf reflected that perhaps he was chosen to be a military delegate to the summit in hopes that his junior rank of Lojtnant and relatively short service record would impress Rasalhague's disinterest in the display of power, while his father's reputation earned with his mercenary unit, 'Holmlundsson's Cavaliers', during the fourth succession war and the Ronin war would prevent his membership from being publicly objectionable.

Unbuttoning his overcoat to reveal the grey, white, and scarlet dress uniform beneath it, he pushed through the glass doors and back into the crowded summit floor. The Hall was a riot of colorful national dress and military uniforms, alternating with the stark and somber suits of self-important politicians and bureaucrats, all mingling, making plans and lying through their teeth. As Graaf eyed the crowd he picked out a few individuals of a different bearing. Of course no mercenary unit in the inner sphere would dream of missing an employment fair like this, so it was hardly a surprise to see that so many had managed to get ahold of invitations.
Although he would much rather be in the guest's ceremonial 'Mech stable calibrating the capacitor discharge on his new Gauss Rifle, his prolonged disappearance from the event would be an embarrassment to his delegation, so it was his duty to stay and make the most of it. If there was any enjoyable conversation to be had in this place, it would be with his peers, the lower-ranking military and mercenary attendees, the Mechwarriors. He began to make his way across the room toward the mingling guests.

Edited by Grafvitnir, 02 August 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#2 The Outlaw Kazzen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Keiji made his rounds, meeting and greeting with the other dignataries. Even shared a drink with a Steiner military officer. The tempers could ignite at any moment, but for the moment, everyone appeared to be on their best behavior.

That was actually the reason Keiji was here. To provide protection for the other DC dignitaries...

Just in case.

But for now, why not enjoy the party? The food and drink was free, the bed was soft and arm, they even provided him his own driver forgoing between the summit and his room. Life was good, but it was a little too quiet lately. Hopefully the summit wouldn't be TOO boring...

#3 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Victor walked through what he knew {must surely be} the last of the Lyran security check points, his two person entourage in tow. After all they had "insisted" on coming to show him a "good time" {yeah like that'll happen amongst all these fake lying backstabbing sons of...}

"Announcing his Lordship (a slight pause fills the air as the man checks his notes) Count Victor Von Laxsinger of Epsilon; Free Worlds League representative and Co-Chair of Laxsinger Medical Research Group. Accompanying him are the Lady Catherine Pride and Lady Katie Pride also hailing from Epsilon in the Free Worlds League and here specifically representing Pride Pharmaceuticals {what as public relations coordinators? Victor thought to himself} as good will ambassadors to the needs of our ever growing Commonwealth, and to those all across the Inner Sphere." chimed a little portly man dressed all in blues the color of a fading sky, his red and long overlapping mustache drooping heavily at the corners of his face. And with that one utterance of foreboding, degrading, self indulgence into societal triviality, Victor was whisked away and into a hive of these vile creatures he knew only as politicians, statesmen, and delegates... {oh my}

Scene - Entering through the threshold is a very somber and stern looking man in his mid twenties standing just under 6' tall and wearing the pants and jacket of the upper alumni of the Princefield Military Academy, however over it is worn a much more nontraditional black leather furred vest carrying the symbols of House Marik, the Free Worlds League, and heavily adorned with ribbons; the kind one only gets from service and surviving battles in the pits on Solaris. Emblazoned upon the back of the vest is a stylized Tiger that appears to be ripping through the vest to draw blood and materials where the tread itself seems to separate and twine. The mans blonde and ashen hair is kept tight and raised above the shoulder via what appears to be top knot. Attached to either arm this individual seems to be brimming with two of the the most dangerous weapons to enter the room, The Ladies Pride in their stunning {and oft too revealing} gowns and attire. The three stand there posing for the popperozi and holo-vid reporters, their pale ice gray eyes piercing both lenses and crowd, as if looking at them like they were little more than prey.

Posted Image Lady CatherinePosted ImageLady Katie
(OOC game note: Whispers and mumbling can be heard of things like "Didn't he die?", "Wow! He looks damn good for charcoal", "F that! Look at those girls", "Man I guess membership does have it's privileges", "I heard that they grafted him back togather, but that can't be can it? just look at him, where are the scars?" etc etc.

Edited by Oni Storm, 05 September 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#4 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

"Oh my gosh Mar, I can't believe that we're actually doing this!" Kaylee positivly beamed while waiting for the herald to finish annoucing the arrival of the pharmacist from the Free Worlds League. DeMarkus turned to reguard his tech-turned-wife as she smiled from ear to ear eagerly antisipating their annoucnment with barely restrained glee.

DeMarkus chuckled as he watched her get ready to drag him out onto the dias to be annoucned. Despite being fifty with gray shooting through her auburn hair there was no denying her youthful energy at that moment. With bright eyes she stood there, clad in a satin sapphire blue gown with matching sapphires dangling from her ears, she was the perfect image of regality. DeMarkus himself was dressed in matching sapphire blue suit with matching synthetic leather dress shoes. For cufflinks he also had sapphires, and he had a massive fire opal for a tie pin.

The clacking clap of wood on tile snapped the couple out staring lovingly at one another and back to the present as the herald began to annouce them. A short portly man clad in a powder blue outfit which strained against his small yet considerable girth, with a drooping red mustache. They steped forward in unison as his powerful voice boomed.

"Announcing his Lordship [not sure what the correct word for D would be] DeMarkus Frankfurt, former Solaris Grand Champion, owner and proprietor of Warlock Stables. Accompanying him Lady Kaywinnet Lee Frye-Frankfurt; hailing from Solaris Seven!"

"Oh sh!t." Kaylee muttered as several figures turned to reguard them as they stepped out into the glaring lights of the ballroom. Chuckling, DeMarkus gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 03 August 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#5 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

“Announcing Lady Arielle Falatti, heiress of the Falatti Estates on Gibbs and representative for the Quickscell Company. Accompanying her, Mister Kristian Hupetcoff.”

The portly announcer consulted his notes, as if expecting to find something else written there. Kristian shot him an awkward look and pressed into the main hall of Tharkad City’s Government House.

“Are you really an heiress?” he asked Arielle, once they were clear of risk of getting in the way of some important dignitary.

She raised an eyebrow at him, then went back to peering through the crowd. “Yes. If my dad dies, I’d inherit the family vineyards. It’s not as swanky as it sounds. I mean, technically you’d inherit something from your parents if they died, right? You should have put that on your RSVP: Heir to the Hupetcoff Estates on...wherever it is you’re from. Makes you sound more important and interesting.”

He tried to follow her gaze. “Are we looking for someone in particular?”

“Kristian, try to pay attention,” she said with slightly theatrical exasperation, “The two groups announced before us both contained former Solaris warriors, one of whom is a former grand champion and the other of whom I thought was dead after a very public accident. If we can get either one to do a sponsorship deal for us...” she trailed off.

Arielle softened. “Look, go grab a drink and something from the buffet. Mingle a bit. Let me worry about finding the big fish. Just don’t forget your binder.”

She headed off into the crowd.

“Right. The binder.” He took a deep breath. Okay. He could do this.

#6 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

"...And with new mining regulations coming into place on the southern continent, my corporation should see a annual rise of over 2.5 percent in quarterly profits. Thanks to governor LeClerc..."

James feigned interest in the noble, politely smiling when appropriate as he expounded upon his company's good fortunes. James hated diplomatic functions such as these, they didn't suit him. As he stood smiling and nodding, listening to the droning and murmuring of the crowd around him, everyone putting on a different face for each conversation. All fake.

Politicians...

James abruptly excused himself from the conversation, ignoring the bewildered look on the face of the low level noble, and made his way to the bar. As he leaned one elbow against the bar, James briefly doffed his cap to wipe his brow before replacing it on his head and adjusting it slightly. He quickly ordered a drink from the overworked and exasperated bar staff, before turning around to take in the room.

You know its a terrible party when even nobles have to get this drunk to enjoy themselves. Leave it the Lyrans however to have at least one cute bartender though. I'll give them that.

Flipping the young, blonde bartender a few C-Bills, James began sipping his drink as the announcer droned out yet another arriving noble's title. He didn't catch the name, but he couldn't miss the two attractive ladies following him down the stairs.

If there is one thing parties like this are good for, it's certainly meeting gorgeous women...

As he followed the path of the two women through the crowd, James brought his drink to his lips when suddenly the entire room transformed before his eyes. He was no longer standing within a gorgeous ballroom on Tharkad, but instead was within a dimly lit bar on a far away planet. A young smiling man was sitting at a table with several others, laughing and drinking to life. James shook his head and the illusion was gone, but the face remained. James remembered the faces of everyone he'd met on that godforsaken planet, and he was glad that this was a friendly one.

Let's hope this party doesn't end up with my dodging a flamer thrower again.

With one last sig of his drink, James faced the bar once again, and attempted to flirt with the bartender. Two full price drinks later provided evidence he wasn't making much headway...

#7 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

As the somewhat handsome English looking gentleman with hazel eyes and dark brown hair stared across the room at them, Katie could feel his lingering stare upon her form as he followed their path down the stairs and between the crowd, then watched cloesly as the drink touched his supple lips and became somewhat blank in expression. Katie thought {yep he must be lost up in a fantasy} "Yep that'll be the one," she whispered to her sister. She turned then and with the slight chuckle of an angel looked deeply in Victor's eyes "See you kids on the dance floor. I'm off to find me a partner or two. Don't you dare disappoint me. Now get out there and show Cat and the rest of us just what the new you can do." (wink) With that she glides off like a ballerina and heads in the direction of James just as he resigns himself to the crash and burn stage with his bartender. "Hunny you don't know what your missing!!!" she yells to the barkeep as she takes James by the hand swinging him off his stool and into a slight topple against her that she gingerly catches with a bump of the hip. "Come with me sailor.. tonight's going to be one of those you never forget.... If you're lucky.." with that she gives a slight embarresed chuckle and leads James towards the dance floor.

Edited by Oni Storm, 03 August 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#8 The Outlaw Kazzen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

"...and then I said, thats not an atlas! Thats my sister!"

A couple of gentlemen where gathered around a pretty young woman all taking turns trying to impress her with whatever nonesense they considered to be 'wit'. Typical party of paper pushing buisnessmen who don't get out of the office enough to know the first thing about wit and humor. Nor women for that matter...

SLAP!

One of the 'gentlemen had thought himself suave enough to get a little physical with her and she clearly did not approve.

Keiji released a chuckle before taking another bite out of a banana he found in a fruitbowl. "I have no idea why people find these events boring." He said as he sauntered over to the gathering. "I find watching those who think they are somebody embarass themeselves. It is both terribly entertaining for me and a humbling experience for gentlemen like yourselves."

This caused many of the 'gentlemen' to bristle with anger, huffing out ther chest and scrunching their eyes over their bushy mustasches. The one who had been slapped stepped forward. "And WHO do you think YOU are sir? Do you relise who you are speaking to? I am Ro-"

Before he could contnue, he found his gaping hole of a mouth stuffed with banana as Keiji glided past him and to the woman. "Lady Genavieve, glad you could make it. Do you have a moment? I'd like to catch up on our dealings back on Everfrost."

The young woman looked perplexed for the briefest second before smiling. "Why of course! These gentlemen where just about to go grab some more drinks anyways." She hooked her arm into one offered by Keiji and they walked away towards the lobby.

"Thank you for that mister...?" She said as they finally got out of sight of the band of confused men.

"The names Keiji," he said as straightening his tie, "Shiba Keiji. Pardon my rudeness but I cannot abide ueless people."

"Consider yourself pardoned. My name is-"

"Lady Gwyn Westbrook." Keiji piped in.

She looked perplexe once more. "How did yo-"

"Know?" he interrupted again. "Because i'm the man who stole from your brother's acoounts on Everfrost."

"That was you?" She looked rather taken aback for a moment but recovered with a curious look. "Why tell me this?"

Keiji grabbed a pair of drinks from a passing server's tray. "It was just buisness. Frm what I hear, you are not the type to hold a grudge and on top of that I also thought you should know that the money went to a charity for orphans of war. A much better cause than what your brother had in mind"

"Yes, quite." She said before taking a sip of champaigne. "Thedrick had som rather disreputable perversions. I suppose I should be thanking you for cutting off the fuel for his addiction."

"I suppose so." Keiji handed her a small buisness card. "If youwould like to catch up after the summit, you know how to reach me." And with that, Keiji walked off with his drink in hand to fade back into the crowd.

#9 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

"Relax Kay, dis is nothing's compared to dat big wedding on's Terra back in '28." DeMarkus squeezed Kaylee's hand again as he led her to the side to not be in the way of the other parties arriving behind them.

Speaking of which some of the same people may be here in this room...

[[Don't mean to step on your toes here Graf, just trying to add some decoration to the room]]

"It's soooo beautiful." Kaylee drawled out looking over the riots of colorful gowns, suits, and uniforms clogging up the space of the ballroom.

DeMarkus looked over the room and he had to agree. Numerous crystal chandeliers hung from the high vaulted ceiling, providing the lighting for the grand room which glared off the blueish veined white marble floors and walls. Massive collums provided support for the enormous room. In one corner a large symphony strummed away at their instruments behind a gold leafed grandstand. DeMarkus took note of the two long tables cluttered up with vast assortments of exotic dishes, while servants drifted through the crowd carrying refreshments. One whole wall was lined with floor to ceiling glass windows, no doubt bullet proof which gave one a magnificant view over the Triad and the vast, hash beauty that was Tharkad.

A servant stopped in front of the couple and offered them glasses of a pinkish wine. Gladly the former Capellan took two glasses and offered one to Kay, who immediately took a sip.

"Come's on Kay, let's mingles'." Markus said before leading her out into the the middle of the swirling mass of gowns and uniforms.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 04 August 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#10 Grafvitnir

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

As he made his way across the room, Graaf suddenly spotted a familiar face out of the corner of his eye, and he was flooded with memories.

The familiar comfort of the Windbourne Raven, in an instant filled with gouts of flame, screams and blood.
The crack-bang of a high-yield grenade, and broken glass in the streets.
Rundvik burning.
My home.
Nomad?

He pushed his way past a group of drunk lords, searching for another gap in the crowd, only to see the man - wearing a Robinson Rangers uniform, no less - led off by a young woman.

If that's Nomad, I'll see him before long. Let him have his dance. Our shared past contains little to be joyous about.

He resumed his course towards the bar. Formality and stiff, ostentatious dress uniform aside, there were some times when a simple drink was sorely needed. He caught the eye of the bartender; "Skye whiskey, neat."

#11 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Dejectedly, James sighed as the bartender rolled her eyes as another of his attempts at flattery fell flat on its face. She'd clearly heard it all during her time as a bartender, and she wasn't going to let some run of the mill mech jock strip her armor without a fight. Suddenly, James felt a hand on his as a woman's voice rang our behind him.

"Hunny you don't know what you're missing!"

Before he knew it, he was pressed up against a gorgeous red headed woman.

"Come with me sailor.. tonight's going to be one of those you never forget.... If you're lucky.."

She then gave an embarrassed chuckle before leading him off towards the dance floor by the hand. James could feel his face flush, and tried desperately to get his emotions under control. Just a second ago he was resigning himself to a night of failure and drinking, then out of the blue, a beautiful woman whisks him off to the dance floor? He'd been outmaneuvered and now he was just trying to react appropriately.

As got himself under control, he began to study the woman leading him. She was young, about his age, and very fit. Her dress was extremely flattering, with a plunging back, and a quite high thigh slit. The way it moved with her body as she walked was enchanting, but the hidden strength in her grip revealed there was more to this woman than met the eye.

Can't let myself get swept up in looks alone, she's no mere noble...

As they reached the dance floor, his escort turned to face him, and her infectious smile made him forget his suspicions for the moment. He immediately removed his dress cap and extended his hand toward the young woman.

"May I have this dance?"

Maybe this would be a good night after all...

Edited by Listless Nomad, 04 August 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#12 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Victor looked out upon the dance floor with trepidation, while he knew deep down that it was little more than akin to piloting his mech, he hadn't danced or really tried much of anything that required delicacy and grace since the accident. Sure he'd gone through the motions of learning how to walk again, then running, catching, sprinting, picking things up with the lightest touch, hell he even remembered when he had to learn how to kiss all over again, but this? This was different, this was supposed to be special. {After all those were her orders to me, weren't they? Make sure Cat has a good time and that I better not let Her down. Her? Where did that come from? Them,.... better not let them down. strange that, why would I be concerned with just what she thought..}

There was a sharp stabbing pain then at the top of his right foot. Looking down quickly he had just enough time to see Cat putting her foot back beneath her gown, the full stiletto heel coming to rest once more upon the marbled floor. "Are you just going to stand there daydreaming the night away? or are you going to take one of the most beautiful and sexy women at this gala out onto that dance floor?" Cat asked of him coyly. He swore sometimes he could see a tail swishing around behind her as she once more gave him that Cheshire cat like grin and continued staring up at him, eyes wide, blinking a battery of feigned innocence and maliciousness if he didn't comply.

"I would if I could find her.. Send her my way when you find her, won't you?" is all he said as he caught her hand just before she stormed off. "Ok.. come on then. Let's get this rodeo under way." he said as he took his first baby steps unto the floor. "Rodeo? Why would you call this a rodeo, Vic?" she asked looking up at him quizzically. "Because my sweet Catherine. There's going to be a lot of stomping, some bruises, and I'm pretty sure someone's going to get hurt before we're done here." and with that he spun her around and began their march just as a Tango began to play.

Edited by Oni Storm, 04 August 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#13 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

"Hey Champ." The gruff voice spoke and DeMarkus looked up from where he was plucking rumaki off one of the tables to reguard the speaker. A stout man, old and balding, with think snowy sideburns. The man wore an old uniform of the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces which strained against the mans portly porportions and clinked from the ludicrous amount of campaign ribbions and medals that took up a good portion of the porker's dress jacket. Judging from the amount of bling on the mans jacket, DeMarkus thought he should have been a twenty star general. The x-Capellan half choked/coughed on the rumaki, then offered the man his hand. The man shook his hand with a firm shake that nearly crushed D's hand.

"Nice to meet ya, DeMarkus Frankfurt." DeMarkus offered.

"Leftanant General Petyr Burns, LCAF retired." The old general paused before continuing. "The other day I was watching 'Solaris Classics' and they played an hour long segment on you. Good stuff." The man nodded his bald head. "I really enjoyed watching how you handled that Commando of yours, One-Gun."

That's One-Eye !diot. If you're gonna mention his name, at least get it right. DeMarkus thought while smiling and doing his best not to correct the general.

"Anyways, it was delightful watching your fights, just thought I'd let you know." With that the oldtimer made an about-face and drifted off into the crowd.

Sighing DeMarkus looked over at Kaylee, who was engrossed in a animated conversation with several other ladies. Though Kay was smiling from ear to ear like always did, she looked his way with a look that screamed out 'save me!' in her eye. D quickly headed on over and was assaulted by a thick cloud of overpriced perfume that perenated from one of the women. If he had to guess it came from the old hag who watched his whole approach with a lustful look in her eye. Barely containing a disgusted shiver DeMarkus cut though the well dressed women to stand then bow before his wife as the symphony began playing a Tango...

"May I's have dis dance?" He cast a roguish smile at Kaylee, who quickly grabbed his hand.

"I'd thought you'd never ask. Ladies, please excuse us." Kaylee offered as she let DeMarkus lead her out onto the dancefloor.

When they were out of the group's earshot she slugged Demarkus squarely in the shoulder.

"Just what the Hell took you so long?!"

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 04 August 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#14 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostListless Nomad, on 04 August 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

As got himself under control, he began to study the woman leading him. She was young, about his age, and very fit. Her dress was extremely flattering, with a plunging back, and a quite high thigh slit. The way it moved with her body as she walked was enchanting, but the hidden strength in her grip revealed there was more to this woman than met the eye.

Can't let myself get swept up in looks alone, she's no mere noble...

As they reached the dance floor, his escort turned to face him, and her infectious smile made him forget his suspicions for the moment. He immediately removed his dress cap and extended his hand toward the young woman.

"May I have this dance?"

Maybe this would be a good night after all...

Katie looked up blissfully into his eyes as her own lashes batted helplessly; "Careful there darlin, you might just have me mistake you for a gentleman with a line like that." Then wink clicked at James. Katie could feel the excitement and saw the slight flushness return in James' face, then took his hand gingerly in hers, never leaving his gaze but for more than a few seconds from time to time to leer back at the bartender to make sure she was properly jealous. "Oh what trifle and finicky creatures we women are, huh? I can't exactly blame you though, she is kinda cute. I mean if you're into young firm pillows (she bops up and down twice quickly) and tight taught little butts. Are you into... (wink) that sorta thing? Mister??? (she looks quizzically for a second before continuing) Want me to hook you two up? Course she's a dye job you know, but really still kinda cute though, don't you think?" She leaned in close to him at that very moment as they began to dance, pressing her chest close and almost rhythmically smashing it against his, all the while smiling with her devilish little smirk and covered with the faint scents of jasmine and berries. Slowly the time etched itself forward as they two were stuck in a heavenly embrace, lost it would seem in the music and words of their first song together as one {if even just for a little while} and as the song began to wind to its end there was a brief sadness that neither could acknowledge or let alone explain.

"Well? do ya? huh? huh? Do you think she's cute..? Is she cuter than me? Well.. Is She?" Katie could see the man beginning to look bewildered somewhat and taken back by her barrage of insanely quick and somewhat random questions, {time to reel him in} she thought. Then could hold back no longer and began busting out laughing. "Relax man, I was just pulling your chain a little is all.. You DO like it when a girl tugs at you a bit don't you? (wink) Cut loose. Relax. Let me take care of everything. I'll hook you up and be your guardian Angel for the evening, no worries." With that she gave him a little peck on the cheek and suddenly the music seemed softer and futher away to both of them... or perhaps just to James {it's always so hard to tell with these things}

Edited by Oni Storm, 04 August 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#15 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

Otto was late and he knew it. Things had seemed to be going so well...at least until he encountered the final Lyran security detail, who had quickly decided that his papers and in fact his whole person was rather suspect. What followed was thirty minutes of interrogation masked as polite questions and what seemed like an endless series of security checks. By his count even after the tedious security screening it had taken no less than fifteen minutes and five comm calls to higher authorities before some blue eyed Leftenant showed up to resolve the situation. It was truly amazing what a simple piece of paper with a signature from a minor member of one of the Great Houses could do when shown to an officer, Otto thought smiling to himself as he walked quickly down the long corridor leading to the ballroom.

"May I present Sergeant Major Otto Morton, liaison of the Green Hearts Infantry Company." The rotund herald finally stated with mild disinterest and a noticeable amount of annoyance as the surprisingly average looking infantryman gave handed him a hand written note.

"Actually, we are the Green Hearts Company and though we are proud to be members of the infantry, it is not mentioned in our name." Morton corrected receiving only an apathetic "hmph!" in return.

Fair skinned, with short cut blond hair and a pair of focused green eyes his confident stride had a military bearing to it. Though he appeared to be in good shape, his stature was somewhat disappointing and Otto stood just barely above average height. The stubble of beard he wore added an air of disregard. Ultimately, he did not quite match the stereotypical appearance of a soldier. Irregardless, he was dressed impeccably. Following the expected decorum he wore what at first appeared to be a standard Davion dress uniform. Upon closer examination however it was clear that some alterations had been made to it; most noticeably a green heart was embroidered on the side of the left shoulder.

As he entered the summit floor Otto offered a polite bow, before pausing to look over the multitude of people attending "Summit in the Spirit of Inner Sphere Cooperation", a laughable name in his opinion, he knew an unspoken threat when he saw one. Of course Otto was sure there would be a wonderful amount of cooperation, so long as everyone danced to the tune of the new commonwealth. Nobles, high ranking officers of the various militaries, corporate types, famous individuals and government officials; they were certainly an important bunch he noticed feeling suddenly very out of place.

Considering the class of the other guests Otto had to admit that he wasn't quite sure what the Captain expected him to accomplish at the summit, at least in regards to securing new contracts. He was good, but he was no miracle worker. Though the Green Hearts were a reputable mercenary company holding enough contracts to ensure that they were still relatively well funded, as an infantry company they would forever be seen as merely second-rate. Standing in the shadows of the other mercenaries fielding battlemechs, forgotten by all. However it did provide a wonderfully believably cover story.

Moving forwards Otto could not help but notice the occasional look of mild curiosity he received from some of the other guests. It was rare to see an infantry soldier in any form of high society, even more so when the individual in question was not even a commissioned officer. Unfortunately it seemed that his presence had ruffled some feathers however, in the eyes of some he saw only disdain. Rather than shame the Sergeant however, they instilled him with a new purpose and caused him to smile broadly. He was going to do his best not to disappoint Otto thought happily. It was only a shame he had been told to stay on his best behavior, it would have been fun to see how well a noble could fist-fight.

With such thoughts in mind, Otto strode towards the bar, he had no intentions of remaining sober.

#16 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

“...so, even with the reduced projected life-span of the Deleon 5 compared to other class 5 autocannon, the ease of maintenance makes it more cost-effective to operate,” Kristian finished.

The greying officer frowned. “But it’s not just about costs. If I pull the trigger on an autocannon, I want to know that it’s going to fire right now.” He pounded a finger into his palm to emphasize the point. “It’s not enough to say, ‘Hey, at least if it breaks, it’s easy to fix.’ Because that weapon breaking could mean the loss of the entire platform it’s mounted on.”

Kristian was shaking his head. “No, no. As long as the Deleon 5 receives its scheduled maintenance, it shouldn’t fail. And that maintenance...”

The officer cut him off. “Scheduled maintenance is a dream in a combat situation. It’s fine in principle, but when you’re on a hostile world and your closest mechanical support is a DropShip that’s trying its hardest to avoid being found by the enemy, you take what maintenance you can get. Now, the Deleon is fine for garrison units, but only if they aren’t expecting to fight anyone anytime soon.”

“Well, maybe you need to improve your logistical planning.” Kristian suddenly realised what he’d said. “I...I mean, we have support staff who can go over your existing procedures and optimise...”

A young man in an AFFC cadet’s uniform came over. “Commander McKinnon?” he asked, “The Earl of Halfway would like a few moments of your time.”

McKinnon nodded. “I think we’re done here. It was good to meet you,” he said to Kristian.

Kristian took a deep breath, closed his binder, and headed to the bar.

“Not the party type?” the bartender asked as he sat down on a bar stool.

He glanced back across the hall dejectedly. “No, it’s more that I think I just told Commander Ian McKinnon that he doesn’t know how to run an army. I’ll have a scotch on the rocks, thanks.”

#17 Grafvitnir

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

Graaf threw back his head and let the last sip of honey-gold whiskey slide down his throat. He winced at the burn of it and placed the glass back on the counter.

"Bartender. I'll pay for his, and another for myself. Thank you."

He turned his new neighbor at the bar; "It sounds like you're having a rough evening, friend. Do not lose heart. The air is warm and the whiskey is excellent. What brings you to this den of snakes?"

#18 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

As the last strains of the tango wound down from the symphony, DeMarkus and Kaylee parted to give a hearty applause to the musician's skill.
As the band started up another tune D and K drifted from the dancefloor hand-in-hand. Pass socialytes, Lyran bankers and merchants and other people that DeMarkus would consider undisirables the couple walked. Soon they found themselves by a small bar with a couple impeccably uniformed soldiers tossing back shots of amber liquior. Markus then cast Kaylee a mischievious grin.

"Want's some more wine?" He asked and she replied with smile and a nod.

Over to the bar they meandered, hand-in-hand as they approached the bartender drifted there way.

"How can I help you?" She smiled.

"Yeah's can we's aget a couple of glasses of dat pink wine dat da servant girls are passing around? It's good stuffs."

"Certainly." The pretty blond said as she went off to fetch some chilled glasses and the requested wine. As she walked off he looked around, and got a good look at the two solider's uniforms. He nodded an acknowledgement to them.

"How's it agoing, fellas?" He smiled warmly at the strange looks upon the men's faces.

#19 Grafvitnir

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

Graaf turned to regard the newcomers to the bar. The older man had the clear bearing (and scars) of a seasoned 'Mechwarrior, well the young woman on his arm had a certain glint to her eyes that suggested she was far more than a simple trophy wife.

"Improving rapidly. Löjtnant Grafvitnir Holmlundsson, Rasalhague 3rd Drakøns, at your service. I hope you accept this as a sincere compliment, but you don't quite have the mannerisms of a Tharkad socialite."

Edited by Grafvitnir, 08 August 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#20 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

“I’m Kristian Hupetcoff. I work in marketing for Quickscell.” He pulled a business card from his pocket and slid it across the bar to the Löjtnant. “We’re one of the few true multi-nationals left in the Inner Sphere and we figured we come here to promote that. Y'know, spirit of cooperation, and all that. We’ve been doing it for centuries now.”

He shrugged dismissively.

“I guess some people are still too busy working the political angle.”

He glanced across the room, using the movement to covertly study the guy in the sapphire blue suit. Wasn’t he the guy who’d been announced just before him? The one Arielle had said was a big name Solaris guy? Unless it was his partner...no, she might not be a regular noble, but she didn’t say “MechWarrior” like the guy did.

“How are the 3rd Drakøns doing these days?” he asked, carefully diverting his attention back to the Löjtnant with a smile, “I don’t suppose you’d be interested in buying some weapons?”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users