Why all the hate on bronies and furries?

261 replies to this topic

#1 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

I know I'm going to get a LOT of flak for this along with people arguing stupid points on both sides....

Why all the hate? I'm not just going by what I've seen on the forums, but what I've seen on the forums is partially influencing this.

Are people just flipping **** because they don't understand why somebody would see a more animal side to them or watch a TV show that they dont fit the audience for? I am a brony, and I've been called many things including a "gay menace to society that has nothing to contribute by sitting in my mother's basement.". I mean really, are people just so ignorant that they hate what they can't understand and decide to delude themselves to believe a false reality in order to make them feel holier than what they can't understand?

I'm not trying to get anyone to quit hating, I'm just trying to see WHY people are hating. If you hate bronies or furries, tell me why.

Also, I'm not trying to cause trouble, so don't start any. If I've said anything offensive, tell me, if you have something that can actually contribute, say it, if you're going to cause trouble and flame me or others then I would please ask you to not say anything at all. Thank you.

PS: Flameshield: ACTIVATED

#2 Gendou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image

#3 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostGendou, on 19 July 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

This, your asking for it sonny! (inc gendou with a old man saying this in some elaborate meme)

#4 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostGendou, on 19 July 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Because I am very, VERY, stupid :huh:

EDIT: Thank you for your very obvious interpretation thontor. I was looking for a legitimate reason to hate, not why it's weird.

Edited by aresfiend, 19 July 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#5 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

View Postthontor, on 19 July 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Anything "My Little Pony" related is for little girls. Grown men have no business with them. My opinion.

I will not mention what I think of said men.

im gonna get attacked for posting this, but i found this very ironicaly funny
Posted Image

#6 Willpower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

+1 to Thontor.

Grow up.

Sounds rich coming from someone who plays computer games, but damn, how low can you go? That's falling pretty far.

#7 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostSkadi, on 19 July 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

im gonna get attacked for posting this, but i found this very ironicaly funny
Posted Image

I'm going to be honest, I personally think that nobody should truly grow up. I know my dad never fully grew up and he's ******* awesome.

#8 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Some people just don't like seeing other people have fun with stuff! Even if it's a kids cartoon or human looking animals.

Honestly though, in every community, there WILL be those annoying ones who are a bit strange, a bit loud mouthed and perverted. These are the ones the media, social media, and internet trolls latch onto and paint that whole community with the same brush.

I know in Pittsburg recently, the furry community held Anthrocon 2012. It brought in $20,656 for the Hello Bully charity. It raised a further $20K for a local take away who ran promotions and special discounts for Furry types to keep him open during it. It brings in something like a million dollars or more into that city each year it runs. And yet the media will ignore all this, because "Pervert in a Pony suit!" sells papers. Hell, if I recall, the lady who voices one of the characters from MLP _LOVES_ Bronies and even gave out a warning recently to avoid talking to press who are trying to twist their words?

Bronies and Furries are harmless, and to me in the same camp as Trekkies and Comic Book fans. The internet will get bored sooner or later. Just leave em to it.

#9 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostPika, on 19 July 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

Some people just don't like seeing other people have fun with stuff! Even if it's a kids cartoon or human looking animals.

Honestly though, in every community, there WILL be those annoying ones who are a bit strange, a bit loud mouthed and perverted. These are the ones the media, social media, and internet trolls latch onto and paint that whole community with the same brush.

I know in Pittsburg recently, the furry community held Anthrocon 2012. It brought in $20,656 for the Hello Bully charity. It raised a further $20K for a local take away who ran promotions and special discounts for Furry types to keep him open during it. It brings in something like a million dollars or more into that city each year it runs. And yet the media will ignore all this, because "Pervert in a Pony suit!" sells papers. Hell, if I recall, the lady who voices one of the characters from MLP _LOVES_ Bronies and even gave out a warning recently to avoid talking to press who are trying to twist their words?

Bronies and Furries are harmless, and to me in the same camp as Trekkies and Comic Book fans. The internet will get bored sooner or later. Just leave em to it.

THANK YOU!

Hey guys! Look at his post! He actually contributed something without sideswiping somebody else! Also, to the people who are telling people who watch a television show to grow up... Really? Could you REALLY go as low as that? I mean honestly, you accomplish nothing other than looking like an ignorant fool.

#10 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

View Postaresfiend, on 19 July 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

THANK YOU!

Hey guys! Look at his post! He actually contributed something without sideswiping somebody else! Also, to the people who are telling people who watch a television show to grow up... Really? Could you REALLY go as low as that? I mean honestly, you accomplish nothing other than looking like an ignorant fool.

called it, i never initialy told anyone to grow up, i just stated i found that picture rather funy in a ironic way.

#11 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostSkadi, on 19 July 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

This, your asking for it sonny! (inc gendou with a old man saying this in some elaborate meme)

Posted Image

#12 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostSkadi, on 19 July 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

called it, i never initialy told anyone to grow up, i just stated i found that picture rather funy in a ironic way.

I know that you didn't tell anyone to grow up, but Willpower up there did.

EDIT: Dammit old man! Imma cut chu!

Edited by aresfiend, 19 July 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#13 Duran Marr

• Pip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIn the Court of the Crimson King

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Personally for me the annoyance comes in how these pony fans interject their hobby into so many things.

There is also this feeling of how “Bronies” seem to demand you respect their love of My Little Ponies.

I love the band RUSH and the Venture Bros cartoon, but you don’t see me shoving it in everyone’s face the way Bronies tend to with their hobby of choice.

#14 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostGendou, on 19 July 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Gendou lord of the meme's, i offer my 911 (oh god akward number) meme album to your service.

#15 Judgment McGodly

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Both groups, while not large enough to be "normal," are large enough to instill a sense a unity that leads to issues, mostly that there are those that believe they should all be considered normal along with everyone else.

Now, this means that members of both groups will insert their knowledge and opions from their group(s) into completely unreleated conversations and environments. It's like a little kid that's WAY too excited about something that has no bearing to anyone else, but keeps trying to talk about it everywhere he goes. Except that these are often full-grown men that we're talking about here.

Edited by Judgment McGodly, 19 July 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#16 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostSol Mifune, on 19 July 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Personally for me the annoyance comes in how these pony fans interject their hobby into so many things.

There is also this feeling of how “Bronies” seem to demand you respect their love of My Little Ponies.

I love the band RUSH and the Venture Bros cartoon, but you don’t see me shoving it in everyone’s face the way Bronies tend to with their hobby of choice.

True, I do see where you're going. I guess I can see the hate with the overobsessive ones (I hate them as well).

I do believe there are 3 types of bronies:
1) Closet bronies, they enjoy the show but don't want anybody to know.
2) "Meh" bronies, they enjoy the show and are willing to talk about it but don't usually bring it up.
3) Overobsessive bronies, they enjoy the show a little bit too much and should probably see a psychologist.

#17 Kottonmouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, Wyoming. AKA the Periphery

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Bronie or not, we all should be here to talk Mechwarrior. All things mechwarrior, like Urbanmechs, Timberwolves, Atlases, Clans, Great Houses, Heat sinks, Guass Rifles, PPC, lasers, booms and bangs (and not the kinda "Bang" last weekend that left you with a strange itch). The increase in Bronie/Anti-Bronie is sympomatic of the disease sweeping our forums. The only cure is a mass influx of beta keys to get all sides to focus their energies on a more Mech-related course. Saddly, I beleive the upswing in what can best be characterized as a lack-o-mech hysteria between the pro and anti pony camps will only continue until the 7th of August when those who are not Founders will turn their collective hatred away from eachother, and focus that rage on those who "Purchased their way into Beta".

Gentleman, this is the day we must hold out for. The day when the gods of Mechwarrior unite our varied groups.

#18 PewPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationUS - East

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

I generally believe people should enjoy what they want, but being a brony is something different.

1. The fact that there is a brony identity
People start watching it to be ironic then realize the show actually has merit, which is fine. The problem is, there are plenty of good shows out there other than MLP, yet these grown men shape their identity around this children's show. Any fan base that is extreme enough eventually get their own name e.g., trekkies. If you're identifying with Star Trek, it means you really like sci-fi. If you identify with MLP as a grown man, it generally means you're being a social misfit for the sake of being a social misfit. You can be a fan of a show without parading it in public or being dressed inappropriately.

2. Brony/furry identity has a bad image
Nerds understand bronies, but they dislike them because they create a bad image which normal folks will associate with all nerds. The dirty, disheveled, socially retarded nerd who can hardly dress himself or take care of himself. It is also assumed these people have a high likelihood to be nasty pedophiles. You don't see family men or many career men being bronies. An office worker isn't going to be wearing his MLP pin or bring an MLP lunchbox. The only bronies you see can't match an outfit for their life or maintain any semblance of a functioning member of society.

I have to agree that everyone should keep some immaturity or childlike nature when they grow up, but you can do that without being socially retarded. When you see a normal man and find out he has weird interests, he's just a quirky guy. When you see a man in a pony t-shirt, you can only assume he has some sort of developmental problem.

TL;DR You can be a fan of something but not shape your identity around it. Shaping your outward identity around a kids' show is silly, and when it's MLP, it's further outside the social norm and is often related to people who can't function in normal society.

Edited by PewPew, 19 July 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#19 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

CAUSE we are so awesome
Spoiler

#20 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

View Postthontor, on 19 July 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Anything "My Little Pony" related is for little girls. Grown men have no business with them. My opinion.

I will not mention what I think of said men.

Since the watched show "Friendship is magic" is clearly say for all public's (understand, familly, boy's and girl's, no matter the age).
Your arguement is quit invalid.

It was clearly said by Lauren Faust herself that the show was created for everybody.

(ever heard of Foster Imaginary house Friend, Powerpuf Girl, the Dexter labotory, Samouraï Jack or other's stuff like the Iron Giant? She was with a "friend" with that. :huh: )

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is for ALL. Contrary to the other's series My Little Pony who where designed for girl's. Deal with it. You can not like something. But telling that F.I.M. is for little girl is pure non-sens (ever see a lot's psychopathic pony, pony who are real b*tch on a show for little girl? Nope.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users