Clan Merc Units?

16 replies to this topic

#1 BattleBadger

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

I was interested in possibly joining a merc unit, and i noticed that there are some Clan merc units around such as Clan Ghost Bear and Clan Hell's Horses. Since this is going to start at 3049, and the clans come in 3055 (correct me if i am wrong i am bad with dates), how does that work? Not trying to start a big argument, just curious. And since there are mechwarrior players that have been in clans a long time, i think clan ghost bear has been around for a while, would it be better for them to be in a different merc unit until the clans invade, or if its better to just stay a clan and wait?

#2 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Way wrong. The game is set to start in late 3049, when the Clan invasion begins. However, the Clans would NEVER use Merc Units, let alone be Merc Units, period. However, my belief is two-fold about these units coming in, now:

1) People coming here believe this is going to be like every previous game, so they're trying to get their units set up, even though they've not read anything about the game, and/or

2) They're trying to get their stuff set so they can step into the Clans when they come out in about two years from now.

#3 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

Point of fact: There is no such thing as a clan merc unit, there are only units which portray a Clan. If you are subscribing to the BT/CBT milieu, only the IS used Mercs. Mercenaries are a very specific type of element in MW.

If what you are suggesting is that players who prefer to play Clan but cannot hope to enter into the timeline until either very late or not at all, would better off joining/creating a different unit other than a House or such frippery. Until which time they can enter as Clansmen.

Aff?

The distinction is important.

#4 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

The Clan did establish the Wolf Dragoons to fight in the IS while gathering intelligence.

#5 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

What he says!

View PostKay Wolf, on 06 January 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

1) People coming here believe this is going to be like every previous game, so they're trying to get their units set up, even though they've not read anything about the game, and/or

2) They're trying to get their stuff set so they can step into the Clans when they come out in about two years from now.

And there is a very unique distinction about Wolf's Dragoons - They were a Clan element portraying themselves as a merc unit to gather intel. Other than this point, they were still Clansmen. I believe they found the situation somewhat distasteful.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 06 January 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#6 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Snord's Irregulars (a spin-off of the Dragoons) was also a clan unit on a mission to look for Star League caches, rather than just gathering intel on the IS. I think there is enough "play" for people to depict similar units sent at the discretion of individual clans.

#7 Xake

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationThe Rift (MICHIGAN)

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

So when people leave or disband their current unit to form into their chosen clan, wouldn't it reflect the loss of so many IS units to the invaders? I think it will be an awesome shake up to the game timeline.

#8 BattleBadger

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

"Point of fact: There is no such thing as a clan merc unit, there are only units which portray a Clan." - Gremlich Johns

I agree with you which is why I posted that. I was confused because there are merc units on the recruiting list that have clan names. And sorry for the question not being very clear.

Edited by BattleBadger, 07 January 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Well see here was my thinking. The Ghost Bear 'Mercenary' unit was a similar front proposed for the Dragoon Compromise, In which Clan Warriors and a few lower caste have been sent to the Inner Sphere to gather some intel, but more to confirm the information that the Wolf Clan/Khan was passing on to the other Khans.

The Ghost Bear saKhan in 3044, who was a Jorgennson at the time (ooc I am just guessing, as we do not know the Ghost Bear Khan timeline in full, but there was a Khan and saKhan of Tseng and Jorgensson who end up getting killed in Khan Ulric of the Wolf Clan Trial of Refusal to return to the Inner Sphere at the time.). The saKhan's did not trust Ulric in full, and sent out this' mercenary unit' called the Night Howlers, which was the nickname of Beta Galaxy, which these warriors were from.

Two Trinarys and a Binary were sent out, each star was comprised of warriors of Beta Galaxy or warriors who were being transfered to Beta Galaxy. All at once the units were transfers, and then diverted to a meeting unknown to them. Being Clan warriors this was not a espinoge mission but one of Trials of Possesions for tech, of course they were trained in the limited knowledge the Ghost Bear saKhan had devised from the information the Wolfs were sending to the other clans on the Wolfs Dragoon feedback and in 3046 with a large roundabout path the Ghost Bear unit landed near the Liao, Free Worlds Border as Founding Khan Sandra Tseng was Liao and it seemed fitting to the Ghost Bear saKhan.

They were to test the strength of the Inner Sphere and then report back to them in 3052. So right now in 3048 they have been taking minor contracts and in 3049 they will be still taking out minor contracts and, well in 3050, a year before they were to return back to the homeworlds to make contact for 3052 the invasion starts and the Khans of Ghost Bear who know about the unit get killed off and the non founder khan bloodnames are put into khanship for the first time with Ghost Bears history.

How the unit gets back will either be determied later maybe in game, maybe we have just made the 304th Assault Clusters history, either way it will be damned fun.

#10 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 08 January 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

The Ghost Bear saKhan in 3044, who was a Jorgennson at the time (ooc I am just guessing, as we do not know the Ghost Bear Khan timeline in full, but there was a Khan and saKhan of Tseng and Jorgensson who end up getting killed in Khan Ulric of the Wolf Clan Trial of Refusal to return to the Inner Sphere at the time.).

Khan in '44 would have been Karl Bourjon, saKhan being Theresa Delvillar. Jorgensson tested to Star Colonel between Wave Two and Wave Three of Operation Revival, but didn't get to actually lead the 140th before ending up as Khan. Found this in Era Report: 3052.

#11 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostDihm, on 08 January 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Khan in '44 would have been Karl Bourjon, saKhan being Theresa Delvillar. Jorgensson tested to Star Colonel between Wave Two and Wave Three of Operation Revival, but didn't get to actually lead the 140th before ending up as Khan. Found this in Era Report: 3052.

Thumbs up for loremaster Dihm ^_^

#12 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Sarna is lacking ALL the info about those two, I was surprised. Luckily I had the book at my desk. ^_^

Edited by Dihm, 08 January 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#13 Phelan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationPreparing for battle in Wolf Occupation Zone...

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Congrats Dihm on the correct info. To be honest I wouldn't have known that myself without looking it up in my BT Books and such. Also, I see only 1 problem with CoffiNail's explanation of the Ghost Bear Unit sent into IS Space. That is that I highly doubt the Ghost Bears would send two Trinaries and a binary for a recon/tech possession Op. just to confirm that Ulric was telling the truth. However, I do think the overall theme sounds feasible and I approve...

#14 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

Umm, no... During the Trial of Refusal to prevent the invasion, not CJF and CW Refusal. More than one Trial of Refusal called in clan society, quiaff? "[color=#000000] Khan Ulric Kerensky managed to kill both the Ghost Bear Khans, taking Nornian Tseng and Ursula Jorgensson away from their Clan. Later, in a speech to the Grand Council, Khan Kerensky commented that new situations require new thinking. Though it seems unlikely that he was addressing his remarks specifically to Clan Ghost Bear, those warriors understood a veiled message in his words and responded. When they met to elect new Khans, the Bear Clan Council voted unanimously to try a change. They acknowledged the valuable leadership provided by the Jorgenssons and Tsengs over the years, but they felt the need to try someone new. With that historic decision, Clan Ghost Bear chose to elect Khans of Bloodnames other than those of its founders, even though several Jorgenssons were eligible. Karl Bourjon, undisputedly the finest warrior in the Clan, and Theresa DelVillar, an Elemental, became the Ghost Bear Khan and saKhan, respectively. Though unaware of his part in Clan Ghost Bear's choices, Clan Wolf Khan Ulric Kerensky was pleased by the Bears' new leadership, as both new Khans held far more moderate views than their predecessors. In fact, saKhan DelVillar was widely labeled as a moderate Warden."[/color]

#15 BattleBadger

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 08 January 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Well see here was my thinking. The Ghost Bear 'Mercenary' unit was a similar front proposed for the Dragoon Compromise, In which Clan Warriors and a few lower caste have been sent to the Inner Sphere to gather some intel, but more to confirm the information that the Wolf Clan/Khan was passing on to the other Khans.

The Ghost Bear saKhan in 3044, who was a Jorgennson at the time (ooc I am just guessing, as we do not know the Ghost Bear Khan timeline in full, but there was a Khan and saKhan of Tseng and Jorgensson who end up getting killed in Khan Ulric of the Wolf Clan Trial of Refusal to return to the Inner Sphere at the time.). The saKhan's did not trust Ulric in full, and sent out this' mercenary unit' called the Night Howlers, which was the nickname of Beta Galaxy, which these warriors were from.

Two Trinarys and a Binary were sent out, each star was comprised of warriors of Beta Galaxy or warriors who were being transfered to Beta Galaxy. All at once the units were transfers, and then diverted to a meeting unknown to them. Being Clan warriors this was not a espinoge mission but one of Trials of Possesions for tech, of course they were trained in the limited knowledge the Ghost Bear saKhan had devised from the information the Wolfs were sending to the other clans on the Wolfs Dragoon feedback and in 3046 with a large roundabout path the Ghost Bear unit landed near the Liao, Free Worlds Border as Founding Khan Sandra Tseng was Liao and it seemed fitting to the Ghost Bear saKhan.

They were to test the strength of the Inner Sphere and then report back to them in 3052. So right now in 3048 they have been taking minor contracts and in 3049 they will be still taking out minor contracts and, well in 3050, a year before they were to return back to the homeworlds to make contact for 3052 the invasion starts and the Khans of Ghost Bear who know about the unit get killed off and the non founder khan bloodnames are put into khanship for the first time with Ghost Bears history.

How the unit gets back will either be determied later maybe in game, maybe we have just made the 304th Assault Clusters history, either way it will be damned fun.

Okay Thank you very interesting. I have read a lot of the books but i dont know nearly everything abt the bt universe yet

#16 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 08 January 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Umm, no... During the Trial of Refusal to prevent the invasion, not CJF and CW Refusal. More than one Trial of Refusal called in clan society, quiaff? "[color=#000000] Khan Ulric Kerensky managed to kill both the Ghost Bear Khans, taking Nornian Tseng and Ursula Jorgensson away from their Clan. Later, in a speech to the Grand Council, Khan Kerensky commented that new situations require new thinking. Though it seems unlikely that he was addressing his remarks specifically to Clan Ghost Bear, those warriors understood a veiled message in his words and responded. When they met to elect new Khans, the Bear Clan Council voted unanimously to try a change. They acknowledged the valuable leadership provided by the Jorgenssons and Tsengs over the years, but they felt the need to try someone new. With that historic decision, Clan Ghost Bear chose to elect Khans of Bloodnames other than those of its founders, even though several Jorgenssons were eligible. Karl Bourjon, undisputedly the finest warrior in the Clan, and Theresa DelVillar, an Elemental, became the Ghost Bear Khan and saKhan, respectively. Though unaware of his part in Clan Ghost Bear's choices, Clan Wolf Khan Ulric Kerensky was pleased by the Bears' new leadership, as both new Khans held far more moderate views than their predecessors. In fact, saKhan DelVillar was widely labeled as a moderate Warden."[/color]

Huh, figured they would have mentioned that in the Era Report! Where'd you find that?

#17 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostDihm, on 09 January 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Huh, figured they would have mentioned that in the Era Report! Where'd you find that?

Invading Clans, Ghost Bear history section.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users