Awesome Refits.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

So, I've got a campaign that's currently in the late 3040's, and the players are doing some garrison work. They want to take advantage of this fairly calm time to do some refits of a few of their favorite mechs using some recently aquired Lostech. (In my campaigns, tech is generally rediscovered a bit faster than is considered "canon". Pretty much everything that's listed as 3050 tech is around, but rare at this time.)

The players are limited to class D refits, as described in StratOps.

Class D Refit (Maintenance): This kit permits players to install a new item where previously there was none, or to install an ECM suite, C3 system or targeting computer. Players may also change heat sink types or engine ratings (but not the engine type). Finally, a Class D kit allows players to replace a location with a custom part.

So, after helping out with a couple possible customizations, one of the players asked for advice as to what he could do with his favorite Mech, a stock AWS-8Q Awesome. He likes the triple PPC's, and doesn't want to give them up (conversion to ER is an option), but other than that is open to ideas.

My immediate reaction was to reduce the number of heat sinks to free up some tonnage, then switch to doubles to keep the heat down.

The problem i run into though, is that i quickly run out of space.

I haven't been able to come up with a heatsink/weapon combination that i like that keeps the 3 PPCs.

So, I turn to you guys for suggestions.

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Judged by http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Awesome, I'd say you might find some inspiration in the AWS-9M or AWS-9Q, whichever fits the campaign better.

Unfortunably, the awesome doesn't provide much room for customization.

Edited by Exilyth, 04 August 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#3 Elsydeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

He might like converting to the 8T or something similar as well, its a pair of LRM15s and a pair of Large Lasers.

The good:

Extra attack roll, uses missiles for more crits, more damage (8x2 for lasers, 9+ avg x2 for LRM15s, 34 vs 30 for 3 PPCs)

Slightly more range (21 vs 18) with the LRMs and no min range with the Lasers

No min range on Large Lasers

Slightly less heat (28 for weapons vs 30)

The bad:

Not beloved 3 PPCs

Uses ammo for LRMs

The ideal for this:

15 Double Heatsinks, 2 LRM20s, 2 Large Lasers, 15.5t of standard armor, 4t of ammo for the launchers

If you got Clans knocking on your door:

Salvage a Mad Cat Prime, its pretty much a Clan tech version of the 8T with a touch less armor, a lot more speed, and some extraneous weapons (why bother with the various medium and small lasers and the MGs? more heatsinks and ammo)

Edited by Elsydeon, 05 August 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#4 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostExilyth, on 04 August 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

Judged by http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Awesome, I'd say you might find some inspiration in the AWS-9M or AWS-9Q, whichever fits the campaign better.

Unfortunably, the awesome doesn't provide much room for customization.

ya, that's what I ran into too, but i figured i'd check and see if anybody saw something i missed.

The 9M is no good, can't switch to XL with the facilities they have. It's looking like he's gonna end up with something close to the 9Q, but drop the small laser and beagle probe for 2 medium lasers.

#5 Needle Fingers

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Howdy hey!

Just incase this may pique your interest i played around in Solaris Skunk Werks within the barriers you mentioned in the refit structure.
So in keeping with the trip PPCs (which i am also quite partial to) here is a suggestion.
It keeps the overall firesupport outlook with it's trip ppcs and helps it's infighting potential once the fight comes to it by adding some close range support weapons.

Switch from 28 SHS to 19 DHS
Upgrade Small laser to Small pulse laser to fight pesky infantry
Add 2 medium lasers to CT
Refit left arm with an arm from an AWS-8T and replace Large Laser with a Large-Pulse laser (or alternatly just add a large pulse laser to left arm.) These add a nice close range punch for when the enemy closes to within minimum range of the PPCs.
This does come at removing 0.5T of leg armour. If that isn't allowed just leave the small laser as a small laser to save 0.5T

Breakdown
Equipment Armour
HD:- Small Pulse Laser 9
CT:- 2x Medium Laser 30/19
RT:- PPC, 3x DHS 24/10
LT:- PPC, 3x DHS 24/10
RA:- PPC, 2x DHS 24
LA:- Large Pulse Laser, 2xDHS 24
RL:- - 29
LL:- - 29

Anyways, thats just an idea, it's what i'd do whilst keeping it kinda flavourfull but hey, thats what were here for ;)
Hope you come up with something you both like!

Aww theres goes my formatting.

Edited by Needle Fingers, 06 August 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#6 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostNeedle Fingers, on 06 August 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

Howdy hey!

Just incase this may pique your interest i played around in Solaris Skunk Werks within the barriers you mentioned in the refit structure.
So in keeping with the trip PPCs (which i am also quite partial to) here is a suggestion.
It keeps the overall firesupport outlook with it's trip ppcs and helps it's infighting potential once the fight comes to it by adding some close range support weapons.

Switch from 28 SHS to 19 DHS
Upgrade Small laser to Small pulse laser to fight pesky infantry
Add 2 medium lasers to CT
Refit left arm with an arm from an AWS-8T and replace Large Laser with a Large-Pulse laser (or alternatly just add a large pulse laser to left arm.) These add a nice close range punch for when the enemy closes to within minimum range of the PPCs.
This does come at removing 0.5T of leg armour. If that isn't allowed just leave the small laser as a small laser to save 0.5T

Breakdown
Equipment Armour
HD:- Small Pulse Laser 9
CT:- 2x Medium Laser 30/19
RT:- PPC, 3x DHS 24/10
LT:- PPC, 3x DHS 24/10
RA:- PPC, 2x DHS 24
LA:- Large Pulse Laser, 2xDHS 24
RL:- - 29
LL:- - 29

Anyways, thats just an idea, it's what i'd do whilst keeping it kinda flavourfull but hey, thats what were here for :)
Hope you come up with something you both like!

Aww theres goes my formatting.

That actually looks nice.

I'll show it to him.

#7 Needle Fingers

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostBeazle, on 06 August 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

That actually looks nice.

I'll show it to him.

Thanks ;)

No probs, i love designing refits.

#8 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

You could always have him refit into the Awesome AWS-9Q. 4 PPCs, 19 DHS, standard fusion engine, guardian ECM. It's just brutal and defines "zombie".

#9 DarkraiOfDoom

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

replace everything.
with flamethrowers.
for flaming justice!

#10 Kallende Rathwynne

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSouthern United States

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

My tabletop charries King Crab Refit:

2x LB20x AC w/ 2 tons slug ammo
1 LRM15 w/ 1 ton thunder ammo
1 ERLL

17 tons FF armor

3/5 movement

14 dbl hs

Pure evil in urban combat.

#11 Warmonger2600

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 157 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

My suggestion

Replace the 28 standard heat sinks with 16 double heat sinks and give 32 points of heat dissipation.

Put in a 320 Standard Engine, boosting speed to 4/6

He can replace the PPCs for ER PPCs but I wouldn't. If his Mechwarrior is a good shot, and not worried about fighting up close, he can use the increased speed to close into standard PPC range and spam all three PPCs for the whole battle without worrying about heat.

Never underestimate the power of more speed!!

Edited by Warmonger2600, 20 September 2012 - 06:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users