#21 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostBlackfire1, on 17 January 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

I have to highly disagree with you. A Micro-transation system is by far one of the best things to happen to a F2P game. People deserve options. I'll tell you this. I'll be generous and pay for you to play this game. I plan to spend some money on the "cash shop" Not because it gives me an advantage, but because I agree to support this dev is anything they are doing. The fact I get stuff from helping out is a nice perk. :P

Now the point I'm interested is a "nexon" style system? You mean a Pay-2-win shop that sells items for x amount of time for real money? This is not how american(or canadian) companies run F2P. DDO, LOL, LOTRo, would fail on asian inspired super economies. I think you have very little to worry about.

In the end people enjoy choice. Unlike taxes, the federal government, and death a person likes to be able to choose what they eat for breakfast. :) (I have no idea where I was going with that statement, its 4:25am and I haven't been asleep yet.)
Give a player choice to spend their money on something they see a value and profit will follow.

I personally wouldn't mind an OPTIONAL $5/month subscription that give 24/7 perks.

Dude you are smarter at 0425 than most people are any other time of day :P

#22 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostZervziel, on 17 January 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Um, paying for in-game money and experience is a pretty big advantage. Heck all the things you mentioned are pretty unbalanced. You're getting more exp and money than the regular player not to mention more tanks and can do so in less time. How is that fair?!

hmm actually that is no issue. when you take 2 people put them into the same tank and then let them battle it out, those xps and money boosts won`t help you in any way winning that duel. that is why those things doesn`t afflict the gameplay.
if one of those guys bought gold ammunition, that DOES give him an advantage, that will ensure his victory (again, same tanks and equal player capabilities).
if someone wants to pay some real money to make the grind easier (WoT has a big grind factor), so how is that unfair in terms of gameplay?

i have seen a lot of people claiming, that exp boost would be soooooo evil, but i really can`t find myself to see it that way. it might be a difference in this game when we actually invest xps to level skills of some sort, but if they choose to go that way, it simply is up to the devs to balance the matchmaking in a way that people with maxed out chars won`t be teamed up against newcomers with fresh from the start chars.

one way or the other it will be balanced out, since the devs more than anyone else wants a healthy base of players :)

edit:spelling

Edited by Khushrenada, 17 January 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#23 Drizz

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 17 January 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

As Turbine first demonstrated with DnD Online, then later LotRO, they make MORE money with a F2P model than they did with subscription services. Then others followed suit even though this system was in place in Korea for years. The dreaded "Play to Win." But the more friendly "Extra Options" model seems to work fine without breaking the game mechanics or giving other players too much of an advantage over others.

As for the Nexon Model, it isn't a bad one at all. Their base sellers are visual. Buy an outfit for 30 days (Maple Story, Vindictus) or buy a premium character card to change your character appearance and rare clothing, or clothing dye to change its color (Mabinogi), or gold colored guns (Combat Arms). Then there are some more permanent sellers like the pets in Mabinogi (I have collected a dozen over the past few years from the fox to the thunder dragon). Then there are things like guild management. That costs about as much per month as a subscription to WoW and affords players a guild house (that must be maintained) guild stone, a little title to add to player names, guild robes, etc.

After Turbine started making money by going F2P, NCSoft did it with City of Heroes, Sony Online then followed with DCU. Both companies reported an increase in profits and sales over their subscription models. A lot of people are expecting BioWare to do the same thing to SWTOR after some time. World of Tanks shot out of the gate with a F2P model and it's business plan seems to work. Except for the current squabble over it's faulty Match Maker and the saturation of the Type 59 premium tank (Before the Type 59, it was the Lowe premium).

Being a Wot player ill jump in on this i play wot yes i play premium account have prem tanks type59 and KV-5 but i do not feel i get value for my money in that game which is why ill drop it soon as mwo comes online i play $99 per year for premium account plus cost of premium tanks $35.50 ea then convert xp so i spent 348 bucks in 3 months adds up to a rip off thats how i feel about that game an is the main reason ill walk away from it hope these guys do betta
Value for money is a must or they will move on to something betta if it comes along IS there anything betta than being a mech pilot HELL NO

#24 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 17 January 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

It's the underlined part that you should be paying attention to. :)

Thank you. That's all I wanted to hear, really.
I did not expect this many replies and I am happily surprised. I like all the different opinions being stated, too.
P.S.: For the WoT players, if you did not know already, the Type 59 has been removed from the Store. We(The "whiners") won.

#25 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Here are three words for people to consider when buying gold rounds in WoT:

Gold. Rounds. Bounce.

#26 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 17 January 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Here are three words for people to consider when buying gold rounds in WoT:

Gold. Rounds. Bounce.

Posted Image

And for something you'll really like...

(anything else other than talking about WoT).

#27 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

Well, personally I'm pretty much over WoT. Been holding out since closed beta there, but became more and more jaded with the way the game went down(-hill). Clear case of customer dissatisfaction, methinks. By now I wouldn't spend a single cent there any more. And considering how many years I paid my monthly dues (subscription) in EVE-Online...

Make up your own calculation... which is more profitable for the parent company after all? :)

#28 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 243 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Played WoT for a while...about a week, then I stopped. Haven't been on since.

As for a Nexon-style setup, the only Nexon game I play is Maplestory. In this, if we do it F2P, than the areas we should be paying actual cash for are - multiple mechs (past a certain point, say past two customised Mechs, standard mechs belong in a Lance/Corp pool IMO), specific weapons & mechs ('prototypes' as it were), etc. That's not P2W, that's simply saying that if you pay, you get bonuses, same as MapleStory. I mean, some of the things you get on there for free are awesome. For example, a buff that makes every other character stronger for every x-amount of levels your character reaches. You aren't in direct competition, granted, but you ARE in some form of competition - grinding spots, the warzone, etc.

I'm not a big onlime gamer, MapleStory is the only online game I've stuck with for a few years. MWO should change that.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users