Launch frenzy?

9 replies to this topic

#1 dr3ilz

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:34 PM

Isn't the game launched in 2 days? Am i wrong? I don't see any news about it, no posts, nothing. Do i have the wrong date?

#2 Minsc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 463 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

Yes you do have the wrong date. August 7th is the launch of Closed Beta 2. Open beta is scheduled before the end of summer provided no major development issues occur (which is sometime in September). There however is no release date.

Generally speaking though, F2P games tend to have a rather long beta period due to the way the market model is structured. This is also known as a soft beta, so we may not have an official release date for quite some time

#3 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostMinsc, on 04 August 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

Yes you do have the wrong date. August 7th is the launch of Closed Beta 2. Open beta is scheduled before the end of summer provided no major development issues occur (which is sometime in September). There however is no release date.

Generally speaking though, F2P games tend to have a rather long beta period due to the way the market model is structured. This is also known as a soft beta, so we may not have an official release date for quite some time

If I had to take a flying guess, I'd say they will probably want the game released before Xmas though.

#4 Bansheedragon75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

View Postdr3ilz, on 04 August 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Isn't the game launched in 2 days? Am i wrong? I don't see any news about it, no posts, nothing. Do i have the wrong date?

I have seen allot of people thinking that August 7th is the release date so I'm curious.
What was it that made you think the game is to be released in 2 days?

As already stated the 7th is the closed Beta stage 2, and was originally the day when they had planned to have all founders in beta.
Open beta has yet to be announced, they have only said by end of summer, and launch is still a long way to go.
Only the devs can tell when the game goes live and they dont have a set date yet, best case they have a timeframe, but nothing specific as its still far too early for that.

#5 Helbourne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

All the confusion happens when they use the term 'Early Access'. It got me, but I am okay with that. Normal progression in the game world to my knowledge has always been; Closed Beta > Open Beta > Early Access > Game Launch. Tossing around terms or making up new ones called 'Closed Beta 2' just adds to the confusion. Its apparently closed beta still, and after Aug 7th its still closed beta. I guess Aug 7th is just a date when the Founders get to try out all of their perks, at least that is my understanding.

#6 Minsc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 463 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostHelbourne, on 05 August 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

All the confusion happens when they use the term 'Early Access'. It got me, but I am okay with that. Normal progression in the game world to my knowledge has always been; Closed Beta > Open Beta > Early Access > Game Launch. Tossing around terms or making up new ones called 'Closed Beta 2' just adds to the confusion. Its apparently closed beta still, and after Aug 7th its still closed beta. I guess Aug 7th is just a date when the Founders get to try out all of their perks, at least that is my understanding.

Dev's said it is Closed Beta Stage 2. I am not making terms up and adding to confusion. You are. Remember, the stickies are not stickers to be scratched and sniffed, but to be read.

http://mwomercs.com/...veloper-update/

You might want to read your stickies.

MechWarrior Online is currently in Closed Beta and to be more specific, what we have dubbed internally as ‘Closed Beta 1.’ For Closed Beta 1 we had a goal of sending out 10,000 beta keys in total, and we should achieve that in the next week or so. Our next step will be to start selling the Founders Packages starting Tuesday June 19th - and for clarity this is a limited time offer, which also guarantees Closed Beta access on the Injection date. Our next step comes on July 10th where we are scheduled to move to our production hardware, and thus will have the capability of hosting many thousands of simultaneous players. Then we’ll be at the point where we move to Closed Beta 2. Once we have achieved Closed Beta 2 we continue to ramp up the beta testers to the point where we can handle the injection of the founders program. I should say that it is logical that this next round of beta testers will likely be drawn from those early purchasers of the founders program; it only makes sense since they have shown such dedication and are quite likely to be excellent beta testers.

Then we’ll be at the point where we move to Closed Beta 2. Once we have achieved Closed Beta 2 we continue to ramp up the beta testers to the point where we can handle the injection of the founders program

Closed Beta 2

#7 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

It's actually a somewhat understandable mistake because Aug 7 was originally going to be the start of Open Beta (for founders) and essentially the 'launch' of the game (no more resets, ect). This has subsequently been delayed though.

#8 Helbourne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

All I know is this is the 3rd day for me as a Founder and in the Beta. Heck, I basically started reading the forums 3 days ago as well. I have not had time to go through the hundreds or thousands of pages of the forums to see where they have been to how they have gotten here. I am just thinking that this is not the first online game produced, and the devs know full well of the lingo people have used. Its there baby, they can call things whatever they want but the non-dev users should be understanding of any confusion.

Of course these are forums, and well, let me say it in a very nice way, it takes all kinds of people, from super-uber fans to haters.

#9 dr3ilz

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

View PostDragonlord, on 05 August 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

I have seen allot of people thinking that August 7th is the release date so I'm curious.
What was it that made you think the game is to be released in 2 days?

As already stated the 7th is the closed Beta stage 2, and was originally the day when they had planned to have all founders in beta.
Open beta has yet to be announced, they have only said by end of summer, and launch is still a long way to go.
Only the devs can tell when the game goes live and they dont have a set date yet, best case they have a timeframe, but nothing specific as its still far too early for that.

Stuff like this made me think the game launches:

"The date for the free-to-play MechWarrior Online's early access program has been moved from July 17th to August 7th. While savvy forum users will be aware of this already, many audience members might have missed it. The cause of the delay, according to Piranha Games President, Russ *******, is that, "some of the key production hardware was delayed in arriving to the data center." Essentially, they need the hardware to make sure servers can handle the initial load of Founder's Program users.” - IGN

As Helbourne said, in my book the order is also this: Alpha -> Closed Beta -> Open Beta -> Early Access -> Launch.

#10 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Yes, if you ignore the rest of the text it might look like some kind of release date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users