Mechwarrior Living Legends

62 replies to this topic

#21 Bansheedragon75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

I have been around MWLL since the 0.2.0 version, and seen its progression to the great mod it is today.
If you are an avid MW/BT fan, you dont want to miss out on this game.

View PostCaballo, on 11 November 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

Nice mod. Can't play it w/o buying a stinking EA games cd, and after Neef for Speed world i promised i will never ever buy something from that loathsome company, so i guess i'll keep playing MW4.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

I can understand your situation, got the same thing with ubisoft after they released what was clearly an unfinished product and at best a beta version of Heroes 6 which I am a great fan of, and after 2 months have yet to release a fix for countless gamebreaking bugs, so I will not buy more from them.

But could you not ask or wish for Crysis Wars as a Christmas or birthday present instead?
That way you dont have to buy it and you can play this awesome mod.

Sure MW4 is ok, but once you tried MWLL you will not want to go back to MW4 again.

#22 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

View PostCaballo, on 11 November 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

Nice mod. Can't play it w/o buying a stinking EA games cd, and after Neef for Speed world i promised i will never ever buy something from that loathsome company, so i guess i'll keep playing MW4.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

I also feel the same animosity toward EA because of their anti-customer practices. That was the reason why I purchased Crysis Warhead through Steam to keep as much of the profit out of the hands of EA as possible. There recently was a sale through steam also which I missed... keep an eye out and if it happens again you might be able to pick it up for a paltry sum. (DISCLAIMER: a slight config file edit is necessary to fix the format of the cd-key for Crysis Wars installed through Steam, but it is not difficult at all).

I must say I don't regret shelling out $20 to be able to play MWLL at all, even despite my misgivings about EA. MWLL is absolutely stupendous!

#23 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

II had to admit, i play the MWLL in the old times, around one and a half - two years ago. As i recall i'm hated the PA's, the baserape-oriented game mechanics and the very un-textured modells.

I get the feeling, i need to try the "new" 0.5 version, so installed the Crysis Wars. then the the 0.5 MWLL. The loader patch themself up, this thing i liked, and missed in the earlier versions. I played, I tried to play more accurately, about three-quarters of the hours on a single server, where there was life (24 players). And now the MWLL was removed from my computer. Briefly: the memories came back, why i'm disappointing in the back.

In brief:

-Remains in beta state. If you want to change the game keyconfigot, it is hopeless, you must leave the game to do so. Alt-Tab switch the game into windowed mode, so you need re-enter to the menu and switch back to full screen. Ok, i'm a bit unfair, i do not stuck now, in the past, that's a big problem in several maps.
-Ride the Mech will continue as a cabaret. Sure I'm lame, but generally i can't mount the first try on my Mech. Fortunately, the tanks have no such problem. : P
-Terrible that you can not save the Group layout. At a Mech with 5-6 weapon you need 10-15 seconds to set the weapongroups.
-The graphics are ... So we can say okay. But no. Rather, I say it that ugly. But by no means beautiful. It is not that long ago I played with Mechcommander 2, which is non a polygon orgy, actually it was 10 years old game. At the time, the GeForce 3 was the ultimate graphics card. So i can live with outdated graphics. But the MWLL are make me nervous. The main problem is the lack of the textures. I swear in the Mechwarrior 2 also seems to me that we've seen the Wolf Clan and Jade Falcon Clan logos, and minimal camouflage (ed: I looked quickly, it really was). In the MWLL, we do not have nicely painted mech's, nor camouflage, nor any logos.
But please, this is the CryEngine, which can be present ultimate visuals, physics, effect. But no, not really spectacular of any kind. The terrain is mostly simple, the Mech modells are not bad, it they have good textured, but the do not have. The damage presentation also weak (laughable in this area of ​​the Mechwarrior 3 are the peak, sparking wires hanging from the ripped of arms), the environment does not really destructable. So be it, i overlook the graphics if the game would be fun anyway.
-But it is not. At least half of a minute, until I buy and mount my vehicle or meche, another 10-20 seconds, until I set the weapon groups. At the end i directly choose only homogeneous armed vehicles. Partizan rulz. : P
Okay, go to the battle. The first battle after almost two years. And what i see? Two PA play waltz with two Mech and two vehicle (one of them was i). And that takes minutes. In the end with bloody throat, damaged all over. Again, two PA beat rag town and held up our small team near our base. Anyway, let's get rollin. But suddenly just a great "nuclear explosion" and die. I think maybe Long Tom? No worries. Revived. In a Mech, for a change. Spend almost two minutes until ride up, and leave the base. I'm joined to an Awesome,.I'll be a good weapon carrier for him. :rolleyes:
We get shoots from far away, so be it, damn the LRM boats. Take cover, radar OFF, sneaking forward. The Awesome begin to fire (and get fire) from a distance, where he cannot see a thing. Lovely. Anyway, thanks for some miracle, i get behind a Mad Cat, hehe, i beat you well, chuckling. But even as I start to shoot, get an Oro in my back, and when i try to counter (and turn on my radar, to see what kind of trouble i stepped) i realized i'm a dead meat. My wrecked body was raped badly.
So it goes on. It's a hardly enjoyable, confusing gameplay, crackling by PA's, and sometimes shocking scenes (usually the most successful attack are built around four Demolisher), then from across the world coming Arrow IV 's, LRM's, and Long Toms love packs.

I'm sorry, but I will not propagate to the number of players in MWLL...

​I believe (and believe too when i play more often) the game have some potential, but wan't too much, and provide too less. Why have VTOL's and Aerospace vehicles, and above all, why have PA's? But okay, then let PA's, but not as Mechwarrior's! You cannot pilot a Mech in a PA! Come on, this make no sense at all! Let only the ground vehicles and the Mech's in the game, and make faster, easier buying / riding.
I praised the lack of textures, so i won't repeat myself too much. <_<
I don't really like the artillery too. In the old times the NARC / TAG and LRM / Arrow IV. combo rule the game. Several attempt of rushing for close-combat happens, but mostly ended badly. Very badly. In this 45 minutes of game i encounter some good close-combat with heavier vehicles, but harrased by PA's all the time, so the long-range combat not as over-represented, as then, but the Long Tom is annoying.

Make it easier, make it simplier, and i'm on it. In the current version? No way, thanks. I rather play Mechcommander 2 or Mechwarrior 3, if i'm feel the need of a good Battletech game... Until the MWO coming. :D

Edited by Cifu, 23 November 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#24 MausGMR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:51 AM

MWLL has incredibly detailed textures, what your asking for is Camo patterns, which are just additional textures that do exist on some units already (Morrigu). The game also has incredibly detailed models, the fact you compare it to mech commander 2 is frankly insulting to the art teams talents.

Battle armour exist because they exist in battletech, as do aerospace and vehicles. None of these are overpowered if handled in the correct manner.

Weapon groups do save, but if you crash it will void any changes you made to your groups in that match. It can be fickle at times but it does work.

I will agree however, that MWLL is a very hard game to pick up, and it probably isn't the game for you if you have so much difficulty getting into your mech to make an entire bullet point about it.

Edited by MausGMR, 23 November 2011 - 01:53 AM.

#25 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:41 AM

View PostMausGMR, on 23 November 2011 - 01:51 AM, said:

MWLL has incredibly detailed textures, what your asking for is Camo patterns, which are just additional textures that do exist on some units already (Morrigu).

Umm, okay, i partly agree. They are detailed. Simple, but detailed...

Posted Image

The game also has incredibly detailed models, the fact you compare it to mech commander 2 is frankly insulting to the art teams talents.

Actually i do not want to offend the creators. I do not compare the CM2 and the MWLL. I'm only say i can bear a not-too-fancy visual for a good gameplay. Otherwise you right. :rolleyes:

Battle armour exist because they exist in battletech, as do aerospace and vehicles. None of these are overpowered if handled in the correct manner.

And when pilot a Mechwarrior his/her Mech's wearing BA? <_<
When can be call "canon" to only one BA are capable to make busy a Mech for a long time? When only i'm a loser, who cannot kill a jumping jack BA with a split of a second, i'm remain silence. But as i see in spectator mode, not only me having difficulties in this ground.

I will agree however, that MWLL is a very hard game to pick up, and it probably isn't the game for you if you have so much difficulty getting into your mech to make an entire bullet point about it.

Actually my point is (take it as an insult, or just a feedback) the MWLL badly need players. When i'm try the 0.5.2, only one server has players. 24 player, if i want to be correct. About two years ago there are 2-3 full server, and several partly filled servers are the normal, when i recall correctly. As i remember, problems i noted now, are noted in the past on the MWLL forum from several members, and had fierce discussion about them. I think many potential player are dissapointed after the first minutes, because of this matters. Maybe i'm wrong, i'm not sure.

If you happy with the current status of the MWLL, then fine, i feel sorry to wrote about my feelings of MWLL...

Edited by Cifu, 23 November 2011 - 02:50 AM.

#26 MausGMR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:52 AM

I certainly understand where your coming from when it comes to the playerbase, but can I ask you this.

When its been practically a decade since a new mechwarrior game came out, as a fan of the series, do you really feel that you can afford to be picky about the mechs all being grey, battle armour coming out of mechs, as well as some other, what many people would consider, incredibly minor concerns. I understand MWO is coming up in the future, but its probably still around 9 months away.

If I were to go away and attempt to use this criticism constructively, frankly I don't think it would be possible. I do understand though that collections of little problems can group together and overall put people off a product, but considering the fact that it is the only mechwarrior game out with any level of modern computing involved in it, could such things not be pushed to one side for the sake of trying to understand and enjoy the mod?

To me it's like saying you wont get in a car because it's seats and ripped and the paint is chipped, even though its the only car left in the world and you've got 90 miles to travel.

#27 Hellgardia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLoures, Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

I really like the Mad Cat model on MWLL. Really simple and somehow really detailed. Plus, i love it how they made the Mad Cat MKII very much similar to the original but with a "bigger, slower" feel which is exactly who it should be.

#28 Xarg Talasko

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

In regards to there not being many players online at the moment, I would just like to take a second to remind you that in the last month or so, CoD:MW3 AND Battlefield 3 AND TES V Skyrim have come out. I look on my Steam friend list and only see people playing Skyrim. This mod has few players right now because 3 HUGE AAA titles just came out, not because it's bad.

#29 Moppelkotze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationRuhrgebiet, Deutschland

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

In MWLL you should allways know where your team is. Never go alone.
LT is evil but only when you are not moving and got active radar. So just move a bit and
turn your rador off until the LT is gone (or you want to use your LRM on the upcomming NARC).
It's combined arms. A LT can be killed very quick by Aeros or get a NARC by a VTOL or fast Mech like the Raven.

So stick together and use tactics to kill the enemy team. If they use Aeros get a AA-Tank.
If they got LT or a lot of MissileBoats move, turn off your radar and get some NARC
or Aero to kill them.
Speak with the Team that they know you're going to NARC so there will be LRMs in the sky.
-> You will have a lot of fun

Weapongroups do save and load properly for me. And I didn't even need to correct
the key although I use steam.

#30 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

BA ejecting out of mechs was an abstraction in order for there to be a BA presence at all on the battlefield. Also each MWLL BA is equivalent to about 3 TT BA in health and damage ability, to make up for the fact that its not feasible to represent full sized BA squads with the default team sizes

#31 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

Quick question ... MW LL .... I download the crysis wars trial program ... and then the MWLL 5 patch

Then what ... its just all free?

or do I need the full paid for version of crysis wars?

#32 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:01 AM

You have to purchase Crysis Wars to play. You will need to enter serial in the regular game before proceeding to join multiplayer in MWLL. The game is very cheap if you look around for it. The steam version has some problems for people not use to running games that need more work to play. I would advise getting at your local store or online.

#33 Okie135

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMercenary Training Command, Outreach

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Been playing this mod for a while now. Love it. It's pretty much the only reason I got Crysis Wars.

#34 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

Steam has the maximum edition of crysis (has wars) for $14.99 (normally $29.99) through the 28th as part of a big sale they are promoting.

I may be picking it up.

#35 Okie135

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMercenary Training Command, Outreach

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

That's how I got into it a while back. Just be warned. You will need to read the forums at MWLL. Steam versions run into some issues on the lastest patch/build. It's an easy fix though. (I think my last one had to do with making sure I had the latest .net or C++ distribution.)

#36 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

I dunno, none of my friends play it and it seems really complex to get into.

Looks pretty though, I might try it eventually.

#37 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

I played it for a while, but eventually stopped because of the following reasons:

1. Crysis Wars' CryENGINE2 is painful on large maps such as the maps in MWLL
2. The fact it's a mod means the devs of MWLL can't really benefit from proper vehicle physics. The track vehicles and air vehicles feel HORRIBLE to control, and there's nothing better the devs can do about it.
3. The project has been stalling a lot lately, and I don't feel like it's getting any closer to a full release. I got tired of waiting.

Other than that, the game is very nice... Just wish I had a better PC to be able to run it at high resolutions.

Edited by Tweaks, 23 November 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#38 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

View PostBarantor, on 23 November 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

Steam has the maximum edition of crysis (has wars) for $14.99 (normally $29.99) through the 28th as part of a big sale they are promoting.

I may be picking it up.

Steam has had a LOT of CD_KEY issues with Crysis Warhead. I myself had to call EA support in order to get a free version off their downloader since the Steam version kept reporting the key was invalid. Be careful, I would buy it online through EA's site and use the EA downloader instead of Steam...

#39 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Its True the game , doesnt run "out of the box".
There are issues, but the people playing are for the most part very helpful in sorting out issues.
There is a known fix for just about every issue, new players need only ask and they will be directed to the threads that show how to fix them.

#40 nobby

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

I recently started playing and in the space of a week clocked about 20hours. I'm really enjoying it obviously ;)

The only problem is I live in Australia and as far as I can tell there is no frequently populated servers located here.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users