Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Date: Classified
Mission: Classified

Mission is simple we must hold this base, I cannot write more about that due to the nature of the base and mission. Seems even my log must remain cryptic till a later date.

If you have found this log and don't know what I am talking about let me fill you in. I am DeLaguna, a.k.a. D4RK_4NG3L. I am a Mech Warrior. I pilot a few different mechs, the biggest of which weighs 100 tons.

Here is a small Idea of the perils of my job. Imagine piloting your 100 ton Atlas Mech, cruising at a speed of 50 Kps, You see a Catapult, with dual Particle Projection Cannons, a couple medium Lasers and some other small weapons lurking about the twisted metal, of demolished mechs littering the battlegrounds, he spots you and knowing you might just be his downfall. For a brief moment he is frozen on the battlefield, maybe he is trying to calculate his odds of successful retreat, All you know is your are bearing down on his position and almost in range. Maybe he has damaged rear armor, or something to prove, whatever his reasons the enemy feels he has no option but to charge you as he is stuck in the open. He gets into range, You Alpha Strike the charging Catapult, getting your Mech so hot you can hear the sizzle of the moisture from the air off the heatsinks...

The mech is not deturred

Whipping around your ballistic weapon you shoot at the charging Catapult with your Gauss Rifle right into his head/cockpit hoping to quell the threat but no such luck his armor heats up and crackles as the impact of your round is absorbed but he keeps coming. As you heat slowly drops to 50% you medium pulse laser him hoping to deter him this is not a fight you needed today...

The medium lasers seem to spook the enemy polit fearing the worse he Alpha strikes back but stops in his tracks. You rejoice, he has to shut down to not overheat and is a sitting duck, your heat is at 70% and you can't Alpha again without overheating but you need to finish him off quickly, you are bringing too much attention to the right flank and your support is no where to be seen.

While calculating the best plan of action, you feel something tickling your right armor.. some green Jenner Mech pilot is shooting you with dual machine guns possibly to distract but very insulting.. as annoying as it is, it can't go unpunished, with your heat lower again you whip your right arm aimed on the annoyance you ERPPC (extended range PPC) him into submission.. your heat jumps back up to 70%. Out of the corner of your eye you see the Catapult that had over heated is coming back on line and starting to charge at you again, its a long shot but you have to try who knows what other mech is following the Catapult, you Alpha Strike again aiming for the damaged upperleft torso where you have a hunch he has ammo without a case. Almost frying your heatsinks, an Overheat shutdown warning flashing on your hud, and your Mech is powering down, but you see that your gamble has payed off the ammo is slowly exploding, the crippled catapult crumbling into a heap of FAIL the ammo ripping what is left of the mech it to shreds.

This is just one account recently that the harsh life on the battlefield has given me.

I calmly overrode the shutdown and verified that all my systems were indeed nominal ... and I live another day ... but wait whats the tremor in the distance.

Edited by DeLaguna, 08 August 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#2 Xaj

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hello there. This piece is one of the better battle sequences I've read on this forum, and the pace of it is fairly good. Remember that a battletech story is more than just a battle though, and you should try to indicate who is fighting and what the battle is about, even though we are essentially reading the personal log of a mechwarrior. Another idea is to explain why he is writing the log, but there has to be a why somewhere.

Keep in mind that since this is a log, your last line 'whats the tremor in the distance' doesn't make a lot of sense, unless this guy is telling a story to a live audience and trying to be theatrical. Good luck in your future drafts/posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users