Sun Tzu Fan or Not?

113 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your stance on His Celestial Wisdom Sun-Tzu (191 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your stance on His Celestial Wisdom Sun-Tzu

1. I worship his godliness! My life for Sun-Tzu! XIN-SHENG! (32 votes [16.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.75%

2. I definitely like Sun-Tzu! (45 votes [23.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.56%

3. I give him the respect that is due him as Great Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation. (56 votes [29.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.32%

4. I am part of the Confederation despite not liking Sun-Tzu (6 votes [3.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.14%

5. I did not join the Confederation BECAUSE of Sun-Tzu! (6 votes [3.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.14%

6. I hate that sniveling weasel! (46 votes [24.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 IMTatsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

For God, the Chancellor, and the House of Liao, I pledge bone, blood, sweat, and tears in support.

I am but a pledged disciple to the principals of the Lorix Order.

>:{

#102 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

I hated the way he was treated in the books and the inconsistencies of his character. In the original Blood of Kerensky trilogy made him into a frail toady, a universal bad guy without a top hat and handle bar mustache. A few books later, he is a capable and charismatic leader. It seemed they did not know what direction to take his story. The whole war against St. Ives confused me as well. They have capably held them back for years, then without any fan fare they take over the whole slice. Did not Candice tell him in the end of the last book, that she would have multiple ways of assassinating him in a blink.

The whole of existence in canon is a mess. I think he would have made a dynamic character if they would have gotten off the "Davion good" Liao bad" train of thought.

#103 Bastard Ken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostAdridos, on 04 July 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Wrong Sun-Tzu. :)

Our purpose is to ensure that literature and art fit well into the whole revolutionary machine as a component part, that they operate as powerful weapons for uniting and educating the people and for attacking and destroying the enemy, and that they help the people fight the enemy with one heart and one mind. ;)

#104 RhymenoserousRex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostDireWolf307, on 25 May 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Sun-Tzu Liao is a coward and a tyrant. How can anyone like a man that sends bodyguards to fight in his 'mech for him, while sitting back and taking all the credit for everything everyone else does?

Sun-Tzu is a slimy snake, just like the rest of his family, with the exception of our beloved Candace.

How is this any different than any other lord sending his vassals out to fight his conflicts? I mean Hanse Davion has more innocent blood on his hands than any other leader in the inner sphere and he's basically worshipped as a god. It's like Saint Reagan the Second, some horrible ******* gets paraded around as a paragon of society.

I've never understood why sending a targetted assassin is "Bad form" yet throwing entire generations of people into a meatgrinder so they can die for stupid bullshit that will have absolutely no effect on their quality of life (Or make it worse: According to Cannon the fedsuns were on a rationing system for a long period) is somehow "Honourable".

Honestly I think that battletech movie they made "Robot Jox" had it right. Two dudes. Two giant robots. Winner gets the prize. I'll be glad when we reach that point in the game as it is an end of butchery.

#105 IMTatsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

The silly Daviots obviously have it right . . . instead of educating their masses, they prefer illiteracy. Don't fall in line, and they'll cut the funding and starve you into submission (on a good day). 'Here, since our way is surely best, allow us to send you some of our friendly neighborhood Occupiers'. . . Thank you for your obvious superior vision and intellect.

Shine on you crazy diamond! (Now where'd I stash my Che T-shirt?)

#106 Twisp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBed

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

A brutally effective individual. Respect must be paid.

#107 Moffmalthus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

The glorious First Lord Sun Tzu Liao is the greatest leader in the history of humankind, hands down.

#108 Bastard Ken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

The fact is, therefore, that definite individuals who are productively active in a definite way enter into these definite social and political relations. Empirical observation must in each separate instance bring out empirically, and without any mystification and speculation, the connection of the social and political structure with production. The social structure and the state are continually evolving out of the life-process of definite individuals, but of individuals, not as they appear in their own or other people's imagination, but as they really are; i.e. as they are effective, produce materially, and are active under definite material limits, presuppositions and conditions independent of their will.

#109 prastagus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 04 February 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm mostly considering it from a moral standpoint.

He abused his powers as First Lord of the Star League and had foreign military members fight his war for him, getting a lot of Clan invasion veterans killed.

It's more a comment on how corrupt he is, not his ability to manipulate people (which doesn't help his character that much.)

Mostly likely he figured once the Clan wars are over, the 2nd Star League would fall apart so he took action and used his position to gain advantage for Cap Con while the league lasted. This is in line with the actual Art of War style manipulation. He should get props for doing that as any intelligent strategists in such a powerful position would have done so.

Edited by prastagus, 27 July 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#110 prastagus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostBongo TauKat Talasko, on 09 July 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

I hated the way he was treated in the books and the inconsistencies of his character. In the original Blood of Kerensky trilogy made him into a frail toady, a universal bad guy without a top hat and handle bar mustache. A few books later, he is a capable and charismatic leader. It seemed they did not know what direction to take his story. The whole war against St. Ives confused me as well. They have capably held them back for years, then without any fan fare they take over the whole slice. Did not Candice tell him in the end of the last book, that she would have multiple ways of assassinating him in a blink.

The whole of existence in canon is a mess. I think he would have made a dynamic character if they would have gotten off the "Davion good" Liao bad" train of thought.

You have match western novels with periods of low and high against China of the real word. Books, films, etc.. of one bad era reflects general attitudes of the people then. Then it switches in a good relation era. It happens in Shadowars, it happens in IS. It may not help forming a cultural understanding bridge between east and west cultures, it sure makes interesting stories in sci-fi ficitions.

Extra Note:
Pattern of relationship between China and the West for the last 700 hundred years in which western literatures had written about China in each period differs:
Marco Polo brings wonder of China and its system lasted for a 400 years of good and high praise literature -> As West progressed and conquer others arose Yellow Peril style literature -> End of Chinese dynasty and beginning of a Republic couples with end of WWI balanced literature flourished -> Good literatures began again under the shadow of WWII -> Creation of a communistic China and Korea War marks another era of literature bashing of China -> NIxon visits China and entice it against USSR begain another era of balanced to good literature on China -> the fall of USSR and Student movement in China during suppressed in 1989 began another round of China bashing literatures -> 2000 and the rise of Chinese global economy and opportunity produced another decade of good literature -> now it is an era of mixed bashing and praising which means balanced literatures on China.

Edited by prastagus, 27 July 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#111 IMTatsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

View Postprastagus, on 27 July 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

You have match western novels with periods of low and high against China of the real word. Books, films, etc.. of one bad era reflects general attitudes of the people then. Then it switches in a good relation era. It happens in Shadowars, it happens in IS. It may not help forming a cultural understanding bridge between east and west cultures, it sure makes interesting stories in sci-fi ficitions.

Extra Note:
Pattern of relationship between China and the West for the last 700 hundred years in which western literatures had written about China in each period differs:
Marco Polo brings wonder of China and its system lasted for a 400 years of good and high praise literature -> As West progressed and conquer others arose Yellow Peril style literature -> End of Chinese dynasty and beginning of a Republic couples with end of WWI balanced literature flourished -> Good literatures began again under the shadow of WWII -> Creation of a communistic China and Korea War marks another era of literature bashing of China -> NIxon visits China and entice it against USSR begain another era of balanced to good literature on China -> the fall of USSR and Student movement in China during suppressed in 1989 began another round of China bashing literatures -> 2000 and the rise of Chinese global economy and opportunity produced another decade of good literature -> now it is an era of mixed bashing and praising which means balanced literatures on China.

Yeah, like I said. Sun Tzu good. Davion bad.

#112 Castin

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

He was awesome, took what little he had and kicked *** with it. By the time of the Republic of the Sphere, House Liao are the only house left with the stones to actually invade them. Without everything Sun Tzu did, they wouldnt have been nearly so bold nor confident.

#113 Vexation

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

I hope Death Commandos will soon be paying a friendly visit to anyone that didn't pick the first option of the poll.

Hail Sun Tzu!

#114 IMTatsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

. . . "Death Commandos. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherf****n 'mech in the room!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook