Custom Assault Mech "OC"

11 replies to this topic

#1 Old Roots

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

I'm getting really excited about the upcoming game that I wanted to draw a mech in the same style as the ones on the games. I used refs of tanks and a mishmash of mechs from the BattleTech universe (for the gun, arm and legs mostly) to make some kind of giant dreadnought thing. I'm still not used to painting, though. That's probably why this took so long.

Critiques welcome. I'm still not used to painting on photoshop, especially with a mouse:

Posted Image

#2 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bombardier looks real familiar, but then again battletech has been around longer then I can imagine. Overlap is bound to happen. Anyways good work.

One key element you missed tho was the Gyro, I don't see how that thing can rotate. Shoulder is also too close to the socket to allow for the normal degrees for freedom due the the armor bulk. When At full run, legs armor will collide with eh lower torso armor. All in all my artistic opinion is that you can brush up on spacing for the design. Bodily Limbs are too packed.

Edited by ManDaisy, 20 January 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#3 gunghoblazes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationEverywhere at once.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

I like it, and want it. Of course I am drunk and it is my birthday so I should get wath ever I want. That sounds good, I think I will keep that quote for use at work.

#4 Old Roots

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 20 January 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bombardier looks real familiar, but then again battletech has been around longer then I can imagine. Overlap is bound to happen. Anyways good work.

One key element you missed tho was the Gyro, I don't see how that thing can rotate. Shoulder is also too close to the socket to allow for the normal degrees for freedom due the the armor bulk. When At full run, legs armor will collide with eh lower torso armor. All in all my artistic opinion is that you can brush up on spacing for the design. Bodily Limbs are too packed.

Ah, yeah. I actually used the bombardier (as well as some others) as inspiration to make the main body shape. About the spacing, I was trying to keep everything all together to give it a sense of mass and heavyness, but you're right. This is why I need critiques!

Thanks for commenting!

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

NIce work Old Roots. :)

Only flaw I can think of to help you in the future is maybe the fact, that for an assault mech, it has only 1 five pod missile launcher and that's "weird" for machines that weight so much and pack such punch. :)

#6 Old Roots

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostAdridos, on 20 January 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Only flaw I can think of to help you in the future is maybe the fact, that for an assault mech, it has only 1 five pod missile launcher and that's "weird" for machines that weight so much and pack such punch. :)

Auuugh! I knew it lmao! I tried to stick more weapons on in the original design but then it looked TOO packed, so i just winged it and hoped no one would notice.

DAMN YOU
<3

Thanks for commenting, mind!

#7 Waylandx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 273 posts
  • LocationAt the computer!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

That is great work! Now i cant wait to see what other drawings you make.

#8 Ironhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Only flaw I can think of to help you in the future is maybe the fact, that for an assault mech, it has only 1 five pod missile launcher and that's &quot;weird&quot; for machines that weight so much and pack such punch. :)

Agreed with Adridos on more weapons on this kind of chassis. Nice work. Like your painting style. It reminds me somehow of the '70's artwork used in the animated movie Fantastic Planet, but with a modern twist. Most probably your inner shading has something to do with it. Keep some more comin'!

#9 Old Roots

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Wow, thanks you guys!
I'm flattered <3

#10 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

I agree with the others. It looks like a fantastic design. Big and mean and weighty. Then it has that single weapon arm that seems to reduce it's scale down to something a lot smaller.

#11 HIemfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

NIce work Old Roots. :D

Only flaw I can think of to help you in the future is maybe the fact, that for an assault mech, it has only 1 five pod missile launcher and that's "weird" for machines that weight so much and pack such punch. ;)

Adi, Adi, Adi. The five pack launcher could very well be an Arrow IV Artillery missile launcher (shown as 5 tube launchers in canon TRO pictures). A very sizeable weapon.

The rest of the mass might have been eaten up by reinforced structure, hardened armor and compact gyro and engine. A brick the throws big missiles, I like.

Old Roots this is a sweet picture.

Edit was due to daughter smacking my keyboard while I was typing.

Edited by HIemfire, 21 January 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#12 ENDMYSUFFERING

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 180 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

You did this in PHOTOSHOP?! O_O Plz2beteachingmahn00bness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users