One hell of a dropship!

10 replies to this topic

#1 DeathStalker13

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Check out this great video about the NASA Mars Curiosity Rover. The complicated landing strategy, 'jump jets'/thrusters, radar, and science labs are elegantly explained.

#2 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

3/3 rovers successful (out of the last three...) on Mars. NASA is doing a darn good job with these, and the lead engineer on "Curiosity" has a pretty funny story behind him.

Personally I think it is way past time humanity got off our collective butts and did more to actually get ourselves out amongst the other planets, and I don't just mean rovers like this. ^_^

Edited by Evinthal, 08 August 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#3 Evil Hamster

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostEvinthal, on 07 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Personally I think it is way past time humanity got off our collective butts and did more to actually get ourselves out amongst the other planets, and I don't just mean rovers like this. ^_^

In order for that to happen, the government would have to stop giving away billions of dollars to union bosses, banks, insurance company CEOs, phony "solar company" start-ups created by millionaire campaign contributors, phony "shovel ready" projects, etc.We'd have MORE than enough money if that ever happened.

#4 Fezzwig

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNagelring, Tharkad

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

Without politicizing this momentous accomplishment I just feel very lucky to have been alive to witness it happening. I made a point of staying up and watching it stream live just so I can tell my grandkids I watched that. The required sequences to go off without a hitch was remarkable. I'm just glad this time everyone used the same method of measurement ^_^

#5 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostEvil Hamster, on 07 August 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

In order for that to happen, the government would have to stop giving away billions of dollars to union bosses, banks, insurance company CEOs, phony "solar company" start-ups created by millionaire campaign contributors, phony "shovel ready" projects, etc.We'd have MORE than enough money if that ever happened.

And humanity would have to stop behaving like children and fighting over everything. It is a hell of a dream, but if it could happen it would be awesome.

#6 Grayson Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

Yes, that was a crazy landing routine but it worked :)

View PostEvinthal, on 07 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

3/3 rovers successful on Mars. NASA is doing a darn good job with these, and the lead engineer on "Curiosity" has a pretty funny story behind him.

Sorry to burst bubbles, but no. Out of the 40 spacecraft dispatched to the Red Planet, only 14 lived to fulfill their missions, and there were some rovers among them also.

#7 Telecleez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLost in the void

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostGrayson Ward, on 08 August 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

Yes, that was a crazy landing routine but it worked :)

Sorry to burst bubbles, but no. Out of the 40 spacecraft dispatched to the Red Planet, only 14 lived to fulfill their missions, and there were some rovers among them also.

yeah i think the one before this one buried itself about 10ft below the surface of Mars cuz some guy forgot to change from meters to feet so it's a remarkable event that they land one safely

#8 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostGrayson Ward, on 08 August 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

Yes, that was a crazy landing routine but it worked ;)

I meant the last 3 we have sent have been. Ha, I guess I should go fix that ^_^ Actually it has been more like five, the last mission the the US (NASA) had fail was back in 1999 with a series of three. (Mars Climate Orbiter 1998-1999, Mars Polar Lander & Deep Space 2 in 1999)

View PostTelecleez, on 08 August 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

yeah i think the one before this one buried itself about 10ft below the surface of Mars cuz some guy forgot to change from meters to feet so it's a remarkable event that they land one safely

Nah, that was the Mars Climate Orbiter back in 1999. The ones before "Curiosity" were "Dawn", "Phoenix", Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, "Opportunity", "Spirit" and Mars Odyssey.

Edited by Evinthal, 08 August 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#9 Telecleez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLost in the void

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostEvinthal, on 08 August 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

I meant the last 3 we have sent have been. Ha, I guess I should go fix that :) Actually it has been more like five, the last mission the the US (NASA) had fail was back in 1999 with a series of three. (Mars Climate Orbiter 1998-1999, Mars Polar Lander & Deep Space 2 in 1999)

Nah, that was the Mars Climate Orbiter back in 1999. The ones before "Curiosity" were "Dawn", "Phoenix", Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, "Opportunity", "Spirit" and Mars Odyssey.

ahhh ok so i guess i've missed a couple lol thnx for the updated info

#10 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostTelecleez, on 08 August 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Yeah the Climate Observer was a good argument for speeding the removal of the Imperial system. It's also a good example of why all spoken languages should be abolished except for one. The only reason another language is necessary is for communicating in code for some kind of strategic (usually military) purpose. Multiple, unnecessary, methods of doing the same thing inhibit progress. So does religion.

#11 JFlash49

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

this is awesome! :lol:!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users