27 replies to this topic

#21 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Update: Played MWO for 3 hrs, Sins of a Solar Empire for 5 hrs (damn those 3v3 Large games), then Battlefield 3 for 2hrs..all in a row. HW reported core temp at 51c, CoreTemp reported 50c. I checked BIOS and it said 51c. So....Im running +/-10c below 62c, which is max safe. Do I need aftermarket cooling or is that good?

Edited by Quinn Allard, 12 August 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#22 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

You're fine so long as you're not cooking the CPU. There is no point increasing your power bill just to get a smaller number.

#23 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostSakuranoSenshi, on 09 August 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

Aye, well aware. I was overclocking before there were forums dedicated to it and these days I mostly roll my eyes at those when I come across them. Water-cooled rigs were interesting when they were a new idea and engineered by the person who owned the kit, nowadays bragging about that stuff is just like bragging that you bought an expensive computer in the first place; who cares?

Edit:

P.S. The maximum temperatures don't alter with generation, they're fixed by the technology, basically. Above 90 celsius is usually a bad idea. Semiconductors for commercial use are typically expected to operate between 0 and 70 C, military specs can require -40 to 105 C. They'll probably survive up to perhaps about 115 C or so but don't, for the love of Eris, try to operate something at that temperature regularly. So, if it's less than 70 when hot, all is great, if it tops out below 90, don't worry but make sure your cooling works, if you keep spiking above 90 C, get better cooling and/or stop doing whatever it is that makes it that hot.

Watercooling allows my system with an older Phenom II x6 1100T to hit 4.29GHZ to 4.31GHZ 24/7 up from 3.4GHZ... Without it, the Chip, and socket Heats and the system eventually bluescreens under load, and in Prime 95 with After-market Air cooling with HIGH CFM after-market dual Fans as replacement, sooner with stock cooling... With Water cooling i'm rock solid, without it "NOT".. So "YEAH" water cooling is a neat idea for those that build their own, like my external water box...
Bragging..?? Not really... Performing, "YEP", and also have cut down on noise.... I used to be against water cooling, but I decided to give it a shot, and it works like it should, and increases performnace no matter how you look at it.. I think AIR cooling is just fine, and works great for the average computer user, but if you like to mod & tinker with your stuff, then props, it shows a little motivation, especially if you make your own water cooling system, and don't just buy off the shelf kits (which is just fine as well)...
Here, check out a friends rig on this link, he is running 5.0GHZ on Prime 95, no faults on an Intel 2011 I7 3820 chip...
5.0GHZ is nothing to sneaze at, does he brag, not really, does he have bragging rights..?? Why not...
Soon as I scrounge up a digital camera around here, I will post mine as well... Bragging..?? Nope... Proud of my idea built by myself with parts form and old de-humidfier, and a modded old Dell Dimension case to house the external waterbox setup... YEP
Look at MrNishi's system here. http://www.overclock...ryker-club/4090

#24 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'm all for real enthusiast stuff, such as water-cooling a proven tech and then seeing just how over spec you can make it run, which I think you understood but I am repeating, just in case. My beef, in so far as I have one, is that I don't see any special achievement in buying an off-the-shelf water-cooling kit and fitting it to the latest generation Intel CPU then boasting about "benchmarks". That sort of thing does go on and it's just not interesting to anyone but the person who paid all the cash for a very inefficient machine that is stupidly overpowered for any reasonable task (for a PC).

Phenoms are great, I am not at all surprised you're getting great legs out of water-cooling one and then running it well out of spec.

P.S. I agree 100% about the noise, my family used to complain about the fans on my tower a couple years ago - it had a GTX 295 and a Phenom II 965 BE, plus some (actually pretty quiet) case fans. When the 295 got going, especially, it was pretty damn noisy for everyone else (I often used headphones).

#25 OldChieftain

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostGreyrook, on 09 August 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Honestly, you're probably fine, but if the program is saying it's at 15C when idle, that's 10F below your ambient temperature. I'm not familiar with CoreTemp, so unless it's automatically subtracting the ambient temperature and giving you a delta temp (this would be unusual and not very useful) I'd say it's not reading correctly. Unless you are using a heatsink that has a peltier or conditioning unit, the temperature of the core cannot possibly be below ambient

Also, I was mistaken when I linked to CPU-z, the same company makes another program called HWmonitor that automatically grabs the sensors from your system here's the link again: http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Try this, not only monitors but lets you manually adjust your fans, so when on MWO just bang the fan throttle to the max.. http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php speedfan 4.47 or .48 I think is current. I have used for some time now without trouble.

#26 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

WHOA, talk about a thread necro

#27 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Just in case, most programs will show the temp as Celcius and not as Farenheit (where they may be setting their AC temps :D )

But hai, necro post for sure.. :D

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 February 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#28 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Im running a 8350 with an antec 620 liquid cooler with 2 120mm 75cfm fans in pushpull ans idle at 30C highest I've gotten in match is 51C. As for CTemp I stoped using it after I noticed it would say my idle temp would go up 10c and stay there just from opening a simple program like ventrillo. Close the program and it would drop back to 30. Also had to set the offset +20 cause it was reading my idle at like 7C. Not using CT now using a different hardware moniter. Not at home and cant remember name now but had to adjust the offset with that one also by 20C to match the reading for idle temp I my bios. As for your 8150 id sujjest either a nice airecooler or the antec 620 at least. Those first buldozers are know for heat isues on the stock coolers. I never bithered with my stock cooler gave it to my friend who wanted it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users