Dear Catalyst

37 replies to this topic

#21 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostFireNova, on 25 January 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Pointing out media (ComStar) bias and general dislike of SJ simply because of some bad lore (Turtle Bay/Edo) and the vast majority of CBT writers and fans are IS based needs to be revealed more often IMHO.

You should question yourself why ComStar and Jaime Wolf would only be biased against the Smoke Jaguars and not all the (invading) clans as a whole. If their intention was to paint the clans as something satanic evil, wouldn't they "create" horror stories and sinister acts for all clans, not just the Jaguars?

#22 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

The Jaguars were the most aggressive of the invading Clans. There was also the Turtle Bay incident,

#23 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

Of course, though I still see this as wrong judgement by an overburdened individual. But after Turtle Bay there was no need anymore to paint the Jaguars as "evil" for the rest of the Inner Sphere, so I see no reasons why ComStar or Jaime Wolf would have to "invent" stories like the Londerholm Rebellion.

#24 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

Londerholm? Umm... I hardly doubt that is common knowledge in the Sphere, before or after SJ was taken out of the picture.

#25 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 25 January 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Londerholm? Umm... I hardly doubt that is common knowledge in the Sphere, before or after SJ was taken out of the picture.

Jaime Wolf made it common knowledge (for those who cared ofc) when he compiled his report about the invading clans.

#26 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Any of the games permit CSJ players to change history to their benefit. Properly and well played, CSJ can become a deadly force to reckon with.

#27 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

So its decided then, Catalyst are going to create a complete Historical/Field Manual/Plot/Sourcebook in one for each and every Clan ever, well maybe not the Stone Lions, no one gives a **** about them.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 25 January 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#28 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 25 January 2012 - 05:25 AM, said:

We already have Sourcebooks for the other two of the four main invading clans so I think some major attention be given to the Bears & Jags.

Those sourcebooks are old... as in, "When the unseen were still being manufactured" old. TPTB have already been quoted as saying that those books were a bit of a mistake to make for two reasons.

1) is that it takes a ridiculous amount of work to make a listing of EVERY clanner in service, with their every 'mech and every status, when it's overall really unnecessary and limiting to both players and writers.

2) The clan touman is always a fluctuating thing. Clanners die, go missing, rise in rank, and become newly added after finishing their first Trial of Position all the time. The minute that the book were released, the listings would already be obsolete. Instead, following the clan sourcebooks, they started making field manuals, which instead gave players more flexibility to choose, by giving info about regiments/clusters as a whole and how they act.

Now, if you'd like some crunch on the Bears and the Jags, I have some suggestions.
  • The Invading Clans sourcebook (1645) should give you a good bit of information on both the Jags and the bears
  • Although only the bears are included, Field Manual - Warden Clans gives more detailed information.
  • More recently, you should be able to get a bit of use out of the brand new books Era Report 3052 and 3062. These books are still in print and should not present any difficulty in buying - unless you go to the wrong places. If people look at you funny and tell you that "battletech is dead", it's probably a bad store. If they say "What's battletech", it's a worse store. But any proper LGS should be able to order those last two books in for you.

While there is a wealth of information about the bears as the Battletech universe progresses, it seems like a lot of the books on the clans refer to the Jags only as a deceased clan... Well, barring the Invading Clans sourcebook, which is old enough to predate Operation Bulldog.

Edited by ice trey, 25 January 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#29 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Not exactly true but I before I digress, the point is the time was taken to create a Sourcebook for Wolf & Jade Falcon; all I am asking is that the same time be taken for two other great Clans.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 25 January 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#30 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

They were the two Clans that were featured in Novels at the time, JP and BoK, MW2 featured CW and CJF, Animated show had CJF and a ep, or two with CW

Although I will point out a lot of artwork shows Clan Ghost Bear.

Edited by CoffiNail, 25 January 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#31 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

If nothing else it would be nice to have a single reference for CSJ, I know we have things like Sarna & that despite over a decade of Mech Warrior my knowledge is still limited simply because I've only recently started reading up, but a solid piece that detailed the clan properly would be something I would really enjoy having, even if I were to never play Battletech or MW again. They're the only clan that has ever really "spoken" to me, while my only other alternative interest is Comstar, but they lag a ways off.

Still, a big thanks to those on this forum who have already made efforts to educate me :)

#32 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostZRO Zimm, on 05 February 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

If nothing else it would be nice to have a single reference for CSJ, I know we have things like Sarna & that despite over a decade of Mech Warrior my knowledge is still limited simply because I've only recently started reading up, but a solid piece that detailed the clan properly would be something I would really enjoy having, even if I were to never play Battletech or MW again. They're the only clan that has ever really "spoken" to me, while my only other alternative interest is Comstar, but they lag a ways off.

Still, a big thanks to those on this forum who have already made efforts to educate me :)

Invading Clans sourcebook is one of the main and only real references for Clan Smoke Jaguar.

#33 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

See, not being dedicated to CSJ there's a risk I might be exposed to insidious non-CSJ materials designed to open me to the idea of other clans being in some way, almost, as awesome as CSJ. :)

Serious face time...

Thanks for the headsup, again! I was looking at the 3050 Return of Kerenski Tech Readout, or the 3055 Readout. I'll just have to look for Invading Clans :(

#34 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

I just finished Invading Clans, it does not have a huge amount on CSJ, but it does have a good bit. They are more brutal then I first thought, most vicious of the Clans.

#35 Sidney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 05 February 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

I just finished Invading Clans, it does not have a huge amount on CSJ, but it does have a good bit. They are more brutal then I first thought, most vicious of the Clans.

I saw you mention the 40 page Era Digest-

So I'm not sure if you're aware, but Catacylst did publish an actual Historical Sourcebook: http://bg.battletech...ration-klondike

I have it on my bookshelf. It's 175 pages, plus a few record sheets.

The issue Cataclyst has is that they only have so many resources to commit to different books at one time. They're redone the original House Books- but they haven't sold well enough to justify their cost, so they're going to finish Handbook: Kurita to complete the set (Houses and Periphery) and then move on.

They've been really kind to the Clan fans of late- not only did they put out the above Historical, but they've also published "Wars of Reaving" which is a fantastic book- although it's set in the Homeworlds during the Jihad, well after the Smoke Jaguars were killed.

Ice Trey also already pointed to http://bg.battletech...era-report-3052 which details the early 3050s. It's a bit of a repeat of what's already been published, as it's aimed for *new* players to help review the invasion period. There's definately Smoke Jaguar info in there (although it's not the focus). I haven't snatched up 3062 yet, so I can't tell you how much Jaguar info there is in it- http://bg.battletech...era-report-3062

In any case, Catacylst is pretty busy right now trying to cover the Dark Age material and make a jump to 3150. As far as Historicals go, with the Clans' Historical out, they're now working on the Liberation of Terra during the Star League civil war between Kerensky and Amaris.

As for the Ghost Bears...there is *plenty* of Ghost Bear info. You can't crack any of the current books open without reading about da bears :)

#36 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

What makes people think that MWO:The Game will follow the events in BT Canon once the Clans make an appearance?

It will not because it cannot. We will be "writing" the fiction after that occurs.

Gimme Sourcebooks regardless - every faction or Clan deserves as much background history up to 3050 as there needs to be.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 05 February 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#37 Sidney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 05 February 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

What makes people think that MWO:The Game will follow the events in BT Canon once the Clans make an appearance?

It will not because it cannot. We will be "writing" the fiction after that occurs.

Gimme Sourcebooks regardless - every faction or Clan deserves as much background history up to 3050 as there needs to be.

While border worlds are persistent, I had thought the Devs said that there are still 'key worlds' that can't change hands as they have plans for those?

In other words, scripted events- such as Turkayyid in 3052, in the case of the Clans I'd assume...

#38 Logan Solo Sinclair

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostSidney, on 05 February 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

While border worlds are persistent, I had thought the Devs said that there are still 'key worlds' that can't change hands as they have plans for those?

In other words, scripted events- such as Turkayyid in 3052, in the case of the Clans I'd assume...

View PostSidney, on 05 February 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

That would be awesome... To be on Tukayyid... May 1st 3052... Maybe having traveled there direct from either Outreach or even... Strana Mechty perhaps?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users